PDA

View Full Version : Band work

kazman68
01-26-2014, 06:20 PM
How many of you guys incorporate band work into your training routines? I started doing it last year and love it..

MuscleAddiction
01-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Need to get me a set of them, used to love them and well as using chains when doing PL.

zedhed
01-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Got em, use em and my not so young joints love em.
Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk 2

Ironguruera
01-28-2014, 12:40 AM
How many of you guys incorporate band work into your training routines? I started doing it last year and love it..

I started doing bang pull aparts. I just use the long ass ones with handles and just grab the middle section. The band pull aparts as a shoulder warmup on all days has served me well!!
I've also been using the same bands for flat bench and its really helped me progress!

Here is the series I do 1 circuit as a warm up and a few at the end of my workout. I don't care for the ones where the elbows stay at the sides. I need weaker bands to do them as shown. Fish man on here shared this link

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/band-pull-apart-super-series-for-healthy-shoulders/

kazman68
01-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Got em, use em and my not so young joints love em.
Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk 2

Yes that's one of the great things about them..

kazman68
01-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Need to get me a set of them, used to love them and well as using chains when doing PL.

The gym I has a couple sets , I got to where i was using them in conjuction with weights on about everything, even leg press, I'm building myself back up to incorporate them again.

zedhed
02-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Your bod will thank you bro.

Ironguruera
02-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Leg press huh? All I've tried so far was seated shoulder press with bar and on bench. I need to use them on seated press again. I've hit a plateau at 185

zedhed
06-17-2014, 11:38 PM
How did this work out for you Iggy?

Ironguruera
06-17-2014, 11:47 PM
How did this work out for you Iggy?

What on shoulder press? I haven't been doing shoulder presses on a seated barbell setup like I was.

Been really mixing it up lately and I only do the same workout 2 weeks in a row if that. I know what body parts I'm going to train for the day and just pick the exercise I wanna do that day for the most part. If it feel good I'll revisit it the next week.

kazman68
06-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Need to start back up again...I had alot of success with them on another note our gym got some chains so I may start to use them on squats, It sucks as I have aged it has become harder and harder to gain/maintain leg mass (especially quads).

xdude
06-19-2014, 01:01 PM
It sucks as I have aged it has become harder and harder to gain/maintain leg mass (especially quads).

not to mention the cracks you hear ,make you a little nervous you are pushing the limits too much :)
"is it gone break?!"

been there...

remember to stretch and go for reps at first .. and remember on a come back you can't lift what you left off at !!! I know your heart is there ...but you have to remember you were not there ,..and most important you want to stay back working out .. I am finish coming back now and finally getting to new weights ..only took 4 months and 2 months off.

actually I am right now at that point where I am great full I am working out ... after all that injury there was a part of me that said I was never going back.. like I am too old and it may be time to quit for ever
a kind of reality check on my own mortality..

I go to the gym now with a sense that this is awesome..
you will get there Kaz.

just remember it is a marathon not a sprint ....unless of course you are interval training ;)

zedhed
08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
How is it going for you Kaz? Update plz.

Ironguruera
08-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Where u at brother kaz?? Hope all is well.

I started using bands again on bench and man does it increase my bench fast! I do bands on my working sets except my last heavy set. I'll do this for 2-3 weeks in a row then take 1-2 weeks off the bands and my weight keeps climbing! You guys mentioned the bands and my mutant buddy showed me how he uses them. He was up to a 465 lb bench at 225lbs. He just started blasting again so I'm sure he's close to that again!

Check out bands guys!

mj_0360
08-03-2014, 10:14 AM
I really need to work on increasing my bench strength! I need to do a little more research on bands to see what's up...

Ironguruera
08-04-2014, 01:07 AM
I'll take some pics next time
I do it for ya. Most gyms have them I've found. There are 4 colors and they are all different resistance of 1-4. I've been using the yellow one. I wanna say it's the number 2? I'll make some pics of the bands and where to attach to the barbell and bench.

zedhed
08-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Good man Iggy!:cool:

Ironguruera
08-05-2014, 09:30 PM
My buddy just posted a video on FB using bands but he can't email me for some reason. He is using bands with 315 and making it look easy....fucker!

mj_0360
08-06-2014, 10:32 AM
I have a buddy at the gym that is strong as he'll but he still uses bands for his bench. He is using a black band wrapped twice around his shoulders and arms like a slingshot and he was pushing out 315 on the flat bench like it was nothing. i guess you can use these bands on my be body or on the bar? This whole band this is new to me so any help is appreciated!

zedhed
08-06-2014, 12:09 PM
that black band if it is like 4"wide is 150-200 Lbs! At least mine is. (tension)

Ironguruera
08-06-2014, 01:03 PM
I have a buddy at the gym that is strong as he'll but he still uses bands for his bench. He is using a black band wrapped twice around his shoulders and arms like a slingshot and he was pushing out 315 on the flat bench like it was nothing. i guess you can use these bands on my be body or on the bar? This whole band this is new to me so any help is appreciated!

Now that I can post pics I'll take detailed pics of the bands. How to use them on the bench etc

mj_0360
08-06-2014, 01:54 PM
that black band if it is like 4"wide is 150-200 Lbs! At least mine is. (tension)

so when he wraps that band around his shoulders and arms or adds 160-200lbs of strength?

Ironguruera
08-06-2014, 02:09 PM
so when he wraps that band around his shoulders and arms or adds 160-200lbs of strength?

Depends on how he is using them I suppose. They way I use them it adds resistance mainly on the negative portion of the move. It forced I to work the negative and I feel this is where it really shines. When u work with the bands for a few weeks then remove them ....u get that holy crap this feels light sensation! If u bench 225 with bands suddenly 275 without bands isn't so bad!

I'm sure the 1-4 has actual LB ratings but I never cared so much about the details. I jus use 1 or 2 for a while on 185 and 225 then I'll use the stage 3 for a while on 185 and keep progressing like that.

zedhed
08-06-2014, 02:57 PM
IDK bro he could be wrapping it such that it add resistance instead of rebound.

mj_0360
08-06-2014, 04:56 PM
I have a lot to learn.

Ironguruera
08-06-2014, 06:02 PM
I have a lot to learn.

Not really. Just seems like a lot cause it's confusing to u right now. I don't know what that idiot is doing and wouldn't worry about it either. I'll make it simple tonight.

Ironguruera
08-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Ok Mj or anyone interested in using bands for benching.
Here is what the bands look like. They range resistance level 1-4. Not sure what that equates to in LB but whatever. These are braided but golds has similar handles with just 1 non braided tube.

Here is how to attach to the bar

And finally how to run it under the bench to create downward resistance.

I used level 1 for 95 and 135 then used stage 2 for 185. Back down to stage 1 for 225 for 10 reps. Did no bands with 315

mj_0360
08-07-2014, 10:36 AM
ok I see. I think that Ill give them a try this week to see how it effects my overall strength. Thanks for the pics to clear things up!!

Ironguruera
08-07-2014, 12:33 PM
ok I see. I think that Ill give them a try this week to see how it effects my overall strength. Thanks for the pics to clear things up!!

The gains it gave me are almost unbelievable bro. When I started I just wanted to be able to work out with 225. 315 seemed like a crazy delusional dream lol.

I follow my buddies protocol. I call it the hybrid hypertrophy/strength program.

Start off high reps 15-20 using bands on your lighter working sets. Then the last set I don't use bands.

For example this is roughly my usual routine
95 lbs 20-25 reps no bands just warming up
135 x 15-20 reps bands
185 x 15 reps bands
225x 10 bands
315 no bands.....for all I'm worth to failure. 4-6 reps.

I do this 2-3 weeks or until
My last set I've progress. For instance if I start 315 for 3-4 reps then I progress to 6 or more reps I know it's time to jump to 335 next week.
I'll usually drop some reps and eliminate the bands when I just up in weight for 1-2 weeks. Then I'll add the bands back in and keep moving from the new 335 max set.

I really like this approach as it gives me the BB look with the high reps and bands but the last 2 working sets positively have made me much stronger!

mj_0360
08-07-2014, 12:56 PM
why no bands on the final set? It seems like that is when it would be most needed. I have a few strong ass power lifter friends on fb and I see these dudes use all kinds of bands for bench, deads, and squats. Dude squats over 1000lbs with reverse bands, sicks!! Chest day is saturday for me, so Ill give them a try if gold's has them.

Ironguruera
08-07-2014, 01:04 PM
I'd have to drop to at least 275 to be able to use bands. 315 I'd be lucky to get 1 rep. I don't like to go that low rep wise often

mj_0360
08-07-2014, 01:44 PM
So you are saying to add resistance to the bar rather than make it easier?

PudgieRaubach
08-07-2014, 02:29 PM
I think he's sayin bands il make er dance. Bands il make er dance.

Ironguruera
08-07-2014, 03:53 PM

Make it easier in what regard? Can u reword what u don't get?

I'm taking to my buddy now and he seems to have switched shit up a tad. He said to pyramid up then down and only use bands on the heavy as fuck set to judge things.
He advised I try 135/225/275 with no bands. Then do 315 with bands. Try to get 1 rep with bands. Remove bands and try to get 3 reps. Then back down the stack with no bands so after the 315 for 3 reps no bands go 275/225/135 no bands.....

Seems brutal. He said he got up to 495 his last blast with this program at 225 lbs!! He is going to 500+ this time

Ironguruera
08-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Ok
Sorry for confusion. This pyramid up down bullshit is new to him. He got to 495 doing the higher reps and bands on most sets.

mj_0360
08-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Make it easier in what regard? Can u reword what u don't get?

I'm taking to my buddy now and he seems to have switched shit up a tad. He said to pyramid up then down and only use bands on the heavy as fuck set to judge things.
He advised I try 135/225/275 with no bands. Then do 315 with bands. Try to get 1 rep with bands. Remove bands and try to get 3 reps. Then back down the stack with no bands so after the 315 for 3 reps no bands go 275/225/135 no bands.....

Seems brutal. He said he got up to 495 his last blast with this program at 225 lbs!! He is going to 500+ this time

Ok it makes sense more now, if Golds has them for me to use I might start using on bench and squat. I see how they can easily break plateaus.

Ironguruera
08-07-2014, 05:07 PM
I'm curious how this pyramid program works for him. I feel he is losing the whole point of the bands only using it for 1 rep max. He his 495 with the high rep hybrid program so not sure why he is changing things ....

mj_0360
08-07-2014, 05:27 PM
I just want to give them a try before I go for any certain program or scheme.

mj_0360
08-07-2014, 05:29 PM
I still dont get why bands can increase strength more than just slowly increasing poundage. I guess I could do some research and see why the body responds so well to a band program.

Ironguruera
08-07-2014, 05:43 PM
I still dont get why bands can increase strength more than just slowly increasing poundage. I guess I could do some research and see why the body responds so well to a band program.
Honestly I haven't researched it. After using them the focus they put on the negatives it's HARD! It's like I are working both directions each rep and by working the negatives in the way they do it makes u stronger. By training for 2-3 weeks with bands then training without them the heavier weight feels lighter as u don't fight the negative portion of the move besides gravity of course.

Try em u will see right away!

mj_0360
08-10-2014, 08:02 PM
When asked to use the resistance bands at golds Saturday I was told by the personal trainertrainers they were locked away some where. I guess I'll have to ask during the week maybe.

Ironguruera
08-10-2014, 09:52 PM
That's lame

kazman68
08-11-2014, 04:42 PM
Been on and off again had to move and still adjusting. Was doing some landscaping work for a while, but that ended recently, so I'm going to be looking for something else. I hope all of you are well.Been very on and off at the gym, but when I'm in I'm in, really strict on diet and such, muscle memory is a good thing especially as I'm not getting younger. God Bless

Kaz

zedhed
08-16-2014, 12:32 PM
yeah bro I know it can be tuff at times to keep that tude good. But you just never know what tomorrow holds.
Keeping you in thoughts and prayers bro that something long term and good for you comes up fast.

mj_0360
08-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Ok so I actually got to use a band while benching today and I have to say that I love it!! At first I couldnt understand how bands increase strength but now after using them it all makes sense to me! Im not too sure what poundage the band I used was but it made to movement feel great! Ill use them again next week. I would love to use them for squats next...

Ironguruera
08-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Ok so I actually got to use a band while benching today and I have to say that I love it!! At first I couldnt understand how bands increase strength but now after using them it all makes sense to me! Im not too sure what poundage the band I used was but it made to movement feel great! Ill use them again next week. I would love to use them for squats next...

U could to this 2 ways either stand on the band or use a cage. Would be a little tricky but possible!

mj_0360
08-19-2014, 10:04 AM
U could to this 2 ways either stand on the band or use a cage. Would be a little tricky but possible!

One of the power cages at my gym has 3 different pegs to put bands while doing squats. Ill give them a try this week if I can find 2 bands.

Dead lifted using a band yesterday, posted about it in my log.

Ironguruera
08-20-2014, 01:06 AM
One of the power cages at my gym has 3 different pegs to put bands while doing squats. Ill give them a try this week if I can find 2 bands.

Dead lifted using a band yesterday, posted about it in my log.

That's fancy!!
Found out there's a cool real hardcore gym kind of close by me. Might check it out when I have time.