PDA

View Full Version : How I finally got boulder shoulders, thought I'd share

SlevinsBrother
04-12-2014, 10:56 PM
I've always been a fan of giant shoulders, and I naturally have pretty decent ones. But I've been struggling to add size to them for like a year at least. Well, I tried adding something ridiculously simple/basic to my routine that I picked up from a chick, and it worked.

Dana Linn bailey swears by extremely high volume Deltoid workouts. And by high volume, I mean dropsets of 100-150 reps. Basically, roughly fifty reps of side and front raises with very short rest periods.
This seems to work really well if you are on aas, and I've heard arguments before for extremely high volume while on aas.

Sent from an app I developed just for MC, releasing soon. Free in an iTunes near you; tapatalk isn't secure.

MuscleAddiction
04-12-2014, 11:55 PM
2164 2165
2166 2167 2168

Dana has some nice shoulders!!!

Ironguruera
04-13-2014, 01:30 AM
Her delts pop pretty good for a chick. My friends are even better IMHO. She likes 4 sets of 15 reps for all her delt moves and said when she went to that they took off. Here's a pic of here but they are even better now! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/13/yderysup.jpg
I like a hybrid program of 10-20 reps and it wasn't until I went with higher reps my lagging shoulder looked better.
I do somewhat feel shoulders are like calves and u either have them
Or u don't. A guy with weak calves will never look like jays or Dorians. Perfect example is Arnold. Yes he made huge gains on his calves....they look great until u see a guy like jay or Dorian who have great calves without doing much then they hit em and holy shit jaw dropping!

My buddies delts are stupid. He does 6-8'sets of DB press. That it. No side laterals or upright row...no rear delt work....ever! His look like coconut halfs.

Anyways I do find higher volume, rep range does seem to help lagging shoulders vs high weight low reps

Orange24
04-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Higher volume on shoulders is a must for me. Like calves and forearms. Everything else I get results with lower rep ranges and heavy lifts

Big Hoss
04-13-2014, 10:45 PM
I have found out the hard way doing my delts. Trained them for years with heavy weight and it finally took its toll. I was reading up on Arnold's and Branch's delt routines and found that they trained with light weight & higher reps. Started doing this recently and my delts have really improved. So I would have to say that delts respond better to lower weight / high reps.

red crayon
04-14-2014, 09:55 PM
I like to do the higher reps and to stop and squeeze them at the most contracted position. Again thats just another thing to add to your bag of tricks so your muscles dont get used to doing the same old same old and stop making progress.

Big Hoss
04-15-2014, 10:59 PM
I like to do the higher reps and to stop and squeeze them at the most contracted position. Again thats just another thing to add to your bag of tricks so your muscles dont get used to doing the same old same old and stop making progress.

Yep, agreed! ^^^

treydawg
04-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Good to know guys. Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try this out or at least add it in to on the last few sets.

zedhed
06-17-2014, 11:36 PM
Wide Grip Upright Rows High Reps, 15-20. Only bring the bar as high as is comfortable and NO HIGHER!!!
I space my hands so that my index finger is on the narrow smooth ring on the knurling. If that makes sense to anybody.

Ironguruera
06-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Wide Grip Upright Rows High Reps, 15-20. Only bring the bar as high as is comfortable and NO HIGHER!!!
I space my hands so that my index finger is on the narrow smooth ring on the knurling. If that makes sense to anybody.

U know kaz got me to like these ESP with a straight bar. If I really emphasize lifting from my elbows they create a great pump. Fantastic shoulder move. I agree they seem to really shine when done with higher reps and perfect form.

However I wanna drop them cause I wanna totally eliminate and move that builds traps from my routine lol.

SlevinsBrother
06-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Definitely a fan of these ^

Vicious 13
06-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Hang drywall for a living...went to the doc for a physical. Ht female came in and says wow U have nice shoulders and a nice back...( mid cycle just off work and pumped) i kind of smiled she left the room which I thought was weird then she came back w some other nurse to show me off like a piece of meat. My wife told me it was one of those once in a life and if I ever was getting a chance that was it and I missed it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knights
06-18-2014, 11:09 AM
one exercise that has really helped me is front raises with palms facing up......works the shit out of the front delts and really helps to visually make them pop.

Orange24
06-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Slower eccentric movements and super sets. Cannon ball shoulders now. I'm gonna give Phil a run for his $

zedhed
06-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Narrow grip focuses on traps, wide grip focuses on delts. However you do get some cross over of course. To me thats not a bad thing.

Ironguruera
06-18-2014, 01:45 PM
one exercise that has really helped me is front raises with palms facing up......works the shit out of the front delts and really helps to visually make them pop.

I started doing the too and really like them. I do then almost like an uppercut with a barbell palms up. Great pump!

zedhed
06-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Front delts yes?

Ironguruera
06-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Front delts yes?

Yes sir

zedhed
06-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Yeah I do the same with an EZ bar. Also try this, Hip Press. Lay on the floor flat on your back get your dbbls so that you can press them straight up from your waistline area. Keep your palms facing each other. A nice variation.

MuscleAddiction
06-19-2014, 06:46 PM
Yeah I do the same with an EZ bar. Also try this, Hip Press. Lay on the floor flat on your back get your dbbls so that you can press them straight up from your waistline area. Keep your palms facing each other. A nice variation.

Love these!!! Hits inner chest well too!!!

graham0599
06-22-2014, 06:58 PM

Never tried those, gonna give them a shot. I do agree that the higher volume is the way to go. I recently did one of the Arnold shoulder workouts and absolutely loved it. High reps, super sets. Reps going 30,12,10,8,6.

zedhed
08-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Changing my workout around to bump it up a few notches. Re-read this thread and it def gave me thoughts about my additions. Went back and redid the shoulder routine. Friggin lots a reps now!:cool:

MuscleAddiction
08-20-2014, 02:32 PM
The one exercise that works great are one arm side laterals laying on an incline bench, don't need a lot of weight, but a spotter is good for the forced reps. They will fucking burn for days...

Ironguruera
08-20-2014, 02:57 PM
The one exercise that works great are one arm side laterals laying on an incline bench, don't need a lot of weight, but a spotter is good for the forced reps. They will fucking burn for days...

Agreed. I just started doing these and nothing ive ever tried isolates and stimulates my medial/middle delt as these have. It's truly my all time favorite shoulder move now. Fwiw I do 10lb/15lb and finish with 20lb.

zedhed
08-20-2014, 04:33 PM
IDK I really like Upright BBL rows bent slightly forward at the waist. Makes mine pop for the rest of the day anyhow...

Ironguruera
08-20-2014, 04:36 PM
IDK I really like Upright BBL rows bent slightly forward at the waist. Makes mine pop for the rest of the day anyhow...

This is my other go to move zed. I like straight bar vs ez curl. I find the key is to lift with the elbows

zedhed
08-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Yup fully agree bro. The slight forward lean makes all the diff for me.

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk 2

Ironguruera
08-20-2014, 07:04 PM
Yup fully agree bro. The slight forward lean makes all the diff for me.

I'll try that as well. I'm going to hit the incline bench side lateral 1 more week then do 1-2 weeks of upright rows.

zedhed
08-20-2014, 07:08 PM
:-)

NYJACK
11-19-2014, 10:55 PM
I was looking at this thread about 10 wks ago, n I've been tryn to get the pumpkin heads for yrs, n always went as heavy as possible, 205lb behind the neck standing, 100lb db's standing, this took me yrs to get to, n probably all my shoulder development was from bench n bar. Well I've upped the reps, 12-15 on the compound moves, behind theneck, clean n press, trap n front deltblast, wide grip uprights, with sick mind muscle connection, but the lateral raise machine with drop sets from hell, hammer strength press drop sets both hi reps n the rear delt machine hi rep drop sets have more than doubled my development, I'm wondering if it's all the machines do the aas, next um adding cable front raise. .. YEAH MC!

Ironguruera
11-19-2014, 11:16 PM
Yeah dropping the weight way back and going for reps in the 12-25 reps and mine are finally looking decent.