PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on a 3 day split per week in the gym?

Arabian
07-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Due to increased duties with my career I am having a difficult time lately getting into the gym as often as I like. I am going to do the following and need some advice on what you guys think would be a good routine. I am planning on going to the gym a minimum of 3 days per week starting this week. Keep in mind before my promotion I was going 5 plus days a week. I just do not have the time right now to devote for 5 days per week. My thought is this: Sunday, monday morning at 5 am and wednesday morning 5 am and maybe thursday mornings at 5am. What do you guys think of this schedule and I am usually out in an hour. I am on TRT so I will be adding to it probably. Thoughts on routines etc: Have been doing a 3 day split for years. Thanks

Oldschooliron
07-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Arabian. I learned long ago my body responds great to a 3 spilt. I did a 5 day routine early in my training (body part a day) made such slow progress.
I switched to a 3 day and bam 17 lbs in 3 months natural. No gear. Diet was not even great back then.

That said I do:
Sunday --chest/biceps
Wed---tricep/legs
Friday--shoulders/back

If I hustle takes an hour. Bring a towel lol.

I add calves and abs at least 2 times a week. if I have time I do some speed bag boxing work, seated calves or Larry Scott hanging ring flys at home like this
These are the hardest thing in my routine except maybe dragon flags for abs.

PJ1127
07-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Push/Legs/Pull

Upper/Lower/Upper... Lower/Upper/Lower... Etc...

Three full body workouts a week

Arabian
07-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Arabian. I learned long ago my body responds great to a 3 spilt. I did a 5 day routine early in my training (body part a day) made such slow progress.
I switched to a 3 day and bam 17 lbs in 3 months natural. No gear. Diet was not even great back then.

That said I do:
Sunday --chest/biceps
Wed---tricep/legs
Friday--shoulders/back

If I hustle takes an hour. Bring a towel lol.

I add calves and abs at least 2 times a week. if I have time I do some speed bag boxing work, seated calves or Larry Scott hanging ring flys at home like this
These are the hardest thing in my routine except maybe dragon flags for abs.
Thanks Iron, that is essentially the routine Im doing pal. I appreciate the feedback brother..

Arabian
07-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Push/Legs/Pull

Upper/Lower/Upper... Lower/Upper/Lower... Etc...

Three full body workouts a week

Thanks P, I have always been one to go heavy in the gym however like OldschoolIron just said, more is not always better. Thanks guys for your input.

Oldschooliron
07-08-2012, 06:47 PM
I find u simply need to experiment to find moves that work for your body geometry. Sadly the golden moves this week are stale next week so I have my favs I'll stick with one routine for 2-3 weeks then change an exercise out for a diff fav. Or I'll change the order of the exercises.

Or sometimes some kid with 13" arms is camping out on something I wanna use and I have to improvise lol. I hate those days lol.

Arabian
07-08-2012, 07:30 PM
I find u simply need to experiment to find moves that work for your body geometry. Sadly the golden moves this week are stale next week so I have my favs I'll stick with one routine for 2-3 weeks then change an exercise out for a diff fav. Or I'll change the order of the exercises.

Or sometimes some kid with 13" arms is camping out on something I wanna use and I have to improvise lol. I hate those days lol.

lol your absolutely correct pal.

exphys88
07-09-2012, 11:26 PM
You could do an AB routine, hitting each group every 5 days or so. similar to DC training. Just a suggestion.

Oldschooliron
07-09-2012, 11:28 PM
You could do an AB routine, hitting each group every 5 days or so. similar to DC training. Just a suggestion.

Can u give a better example of the a and b routine u speak of?

exphys88
07-10-2012, 12:06 AM
You basically have your muscle groups divided up into 2 days, a and b. you alternate between them on mwf.
M-a
W-b
F-a
M-b
W-a
F-b

You can also have 2 different a and b days too:

M-a1
W-b1
F-a2
M-b2
W-a1
F-b1
M-a2
W-b2
Etc

DC training is set up like this, and is very effective.

zedhed
07-10-2012, 11:57 AM
A-B routine...
Workout A
BBL Squats
BBL Flat Bench Press
BBL Bent Over Rows

Workout B
BBL Squats
BBL OHP
BBL Dead Lifts

as follows,
Mon-A
Wed-B
Fri-A
Mon-B
Wed-A
Fri-B
Very simple and extremely effective. This is the SL 5x5 and again and again Arab this would be tits for you bro. Your bod is used to 5 day/week workouts with volume.
This is 180° turnaround from that. IMO nothing would beat this for you bro. Now Im gonna quit pushing this on you...LOL.

Fit Guru
07-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Sun- chest and triceps
Mon-back and biceps
Wed- quads
Thurs- shoulders and calves

That way your pushing Sunday .pulling Monday .rest then legs. Then pushing again. Then 2 total days to recoup!! Easy peasy!

Fit Guru
07-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Of course that was based on the DAYS you said you hoped to train.

Oldschooliron
07-21-2012, 01:06 PM
A-B routine...
Workout A
BBL Squats
BBL Flat Bench Press
BBL Bent Over Rows

Workout B
BBL Squats
BBL OHP
BBL Dead Lifts

as follows,
Mon-A
Wed-B
Fri-A
Mon-B
Wed-A
Fri-B
Very simple and extremely effective. This is the SL 5x5 and again and again Arab this would be tits for you bro. Your bod is used to 5 day/week workouts with volume.
This is 180° turnaround from that. IMO nothing would beat this for you bro. Now Im gonna quit pushing this on you...LOL.

This looks very interesting zed! Reminds me a program by Marvin eder from days of yesteryear. he did like 4-5 exercises 3 days a week program.

Those programs intimidate me lol.

How is the oxygen debt? U rest long in between sets?

I might try this just to mix it up. Not sure how my 250yr old back will fare with the deads and ohp lol.

Do u find your biceps really lag with a program like this? I find I can maintain. A good tricep with no direct tricep work. I have been nursing tendonitis an forearm issues for months so I just got back into training triceps. I was surprised how full they stayed during the direct training time off.
The Marvin eder program he did use some biceps dumbell curls.

Thoughts ?

zedhed
07-21-2012, 02:26 PM
This looks very interesting zed! Reminds me a program by Marvin eder from days of yesteryear. he did like 4-5 exercises 3 days a week program.

Those programs intimidate me lol.

How is the oxygen debt? U rest long in between sets?
On this type of program I dont pay any attention to the tiime between sets. I just keep it under 3 min. To me its not that important but what is important is getting the reps and sets in in good form.

I might try this just to mix it up. Not sure how my 250yr old back will fare with the deads and ohp lol.
Give it a shot bro. You dont know if you dont try.

Do u find your biceps really lag with a program like this? I find I can maintain. A good tricep with no direct tricep work. I have been nursing tendonitis an forearm issues for months so I just got back into training triceps. I was surprised how full they stayed during the direct training time off.
The Marvin eder program he did use some biceps dumbell curls.

For someone that is new to this type of program I would say do the program exactly as it is written. But for a seasoned intermediate and beyond lifter I would def add in 2 biceps moves and alternate them.
For instance I would put biceps on the B workout and do EZ bar curls 5x5 one session. Then the next session I would put in Alt arm Dbl curls at a 45° again 5x5.

Thoughts ?

Hope that answers you bro. If not then just let me know.

Oldschooliron
07-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Yes that does. 3 min rest? Thats and eternity lol!

Ok yeah I was thinking of adding some stuff in. I'm doing a lean cut cycle right now. For my next bulk I will try this

zedhed
07-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Yeah 3 min is a long time bro but you also have to remember when you do a 5x5 properly yo azz is whipped BIG TIME! LOL I mean by the time that your pushing that last set there is no fun at all left in it man.

Fit Guru
07-21-2012, 04:54 PM
One thing I see all the time is people over complicate things. It is a science but not rocket science. I'm telling you I train with several pro's and top national competitors and they just train! They don't time rest periods and they just have an approximate number of sets and reps. Just train!! Hard!!

Oldschooliron
07-21-2012, 07:49 PM
One thing I see all the time is people over complicate things. It is a science but not rocket science. I'm telling you I train with several pro's and top national competitors and they just train! They don't time rest periods and they just have an approximate number of sets and reps. Just train!! Hard!!

I know what u mean. I don't really time anything. I use bio feedback. If I feel ready to go again I do. I'm not staring at a clock lol.

I train like u suggested instinctively. No 2 days are the same energy or power level. Some days some 12 yr old with pizza face is using the machine a want, so I must change it up.

Fit Guru
07-21-2012, 11:57 PM
That's right! I understand novice lifters need more structure but most guys in here, especially those already on gear should know their bodies pretty well.

Bruiser
07-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Change it up and just hit your four bigs for a while and squeeze in accessory work if you have time. Bench, squat, OHP and deathlift. You could do just those four and no other work and spark some new growth. One week do heavy doubles and triples and the next week go for high volume. You'll be surprised how much EVERYTHING grows even without hitting all the muscles directly.

zedhed
07-22-2012, 12:59 PM
I know what u mean. I don't really time anything. I use bio feedback. If I feel ready to go again I do. I'm not staring at a clock lol.

I train like u suggested instinctively. No 2 days are the same energy or power level. Some days some 12 yr old with pizza face is using the machine a want, so I must change it up.

Machines...WTF...LMAO!
Teasing you bro.

zedhed
07-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Change it up and just hit your four bigs for a while and squeeze in accessory work if you have time. Bench, squat, OHP and deathlift. You could do just those four and no other work and spark some new growth. One week do heavy doubles and triples and the next week go for high volume. You'll be surprised how much EVERYTHING grows even without hitting all the muscles directly.

Now this is something that Ive never done. Think I will hit this type of training after I take some time off. That should be in Mid October. Prolly gonna take a min of 5 weeks...hernia repair. Then come back on this.

Oldschooliron
07-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Machines...WTF...LMAO!
Teasing you bro.

Lol by machines I mean cables, some hammer strength machines, dip station, smith machine. I have a bad lower back and deads and bent over rows kill me. I've gotten great chest and back growth for the hammer strength stuff at the golds I train at. I find bench press I have a very hard time getting good chest contraction and growth results.

I do use the abductor/adductor machines but mostly hoping a hottie will sit on the other one next to me and my proviron crazed self can attack her lol! lol j/k they are great for your knees.

Oldschooliron
07-22-2012, 01:16 PM
All jokes aside zed what kind of physique have u built with this protocol? Just curious....my dad said Marvin eder used to make guys train like u suggest for ages before he let them do anything else.

Here are the results of my 3 day split I mention earlier in this thread. Took 2 yrs. the progress pic is 2 weeks into my 2nd cycle in this 2 yrs. I'm no npc worthy bb or anything lol. My diet needs more cals and tweaks. I'm getting there.....never enough time or food lol

140 lbs 5' 6" ( nearly a midget lol)

Sorry I'm such a fat slob. I never do cardio. Well besides sex lol. I will do some this coming week. I'd rather eat very clean and starve then do cardio lol.

Post up a pic zed. U look like a powerlifter or bb?

Fit Guru
07-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Oldschool you look good. Great progress !

Fit Guru
07-22-2012, 02:26 PM
And your not fat

zedhed
07-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Shit bro you say you fat? LMAO!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

This is me roughly in the mid of my last good SL 5x5. My diet was See Food.

http://www.musclecoalition.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

To me I look more like a Plr. My diet is just eat what I want and a hell of a lot of it. But wanna get to looking like a Bber before Im 60.

zedhed
07-22-2012, 02:34 PM
LMAO I guess we have successfully hijacked Arabs thread.....but at least we are managing to stay on subject.

OS I gotta say IMO your titz for the SL 5x5. You have a dam nice bod right there and fairly lean. You have a good amnt of mass on you.
I would say hit that shit for the full 12 weeks. You could do it 2 ways.
Put a short 6 week cycle on the back side of the program or......
Do the program for 12 weeks. Take a week off and then hit it again with a cycle during the whole 12 weeks.

Oldschooliron
07-22-2012, 02:50 PM
And your not fat

Thanks fit! I see this 25% guy when I look in the mirror with toothpicks for arms lol.

zedhed
07-22-2012, 02:55 PM
LOL dude you nowhere near 25%.
In the last year and a half or so Ive gone from 25% down to 16%.
You not even 16% bro.
My guess would be 12ish.

zedhed
07-22-2012, 02:57 PM
In that pic up there I am
6'1"
240 Lbs
51 yrs

Fit Guru
07-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Zed if you need any help let me know. You've got good potential to look like a real BB and I'm serious. Otherwise I'd kept my mouth shut! Lol

Fit Guru
07-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Yea old school is 12%. I don't even have to use calipers anymore.

zedhed
07-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Much thanks Fit G. After I get myself repaired I just may take you up on that. Thanks again man.

Oldschooliron
07-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Yea old school is 12%. I don't even have to use calipers anymore.

I figure about that. We are all our harshest critics!

Fit Guru
07-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Yea Zed, don't let time get away. We never think we can do it. Yes we are our worst critic.

zedhed
07-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Getting a dam hernia repaired either late Oct or early Nov...insurance thing. Then after roughly 5 weeks will be g2g bro. Will hit you up then most likely. My biggest prob IMO is diet. I really need for some one that knows it (diet) to work closely with me.

Oldschooliron
07-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Getting a dam hernia repaired either late Oct or early Nov...insurance thing. Then after roughly 5 weeks will be g2g bro. Will hit you up then most likely. My biggest prob IMO is diet. I really need for some one that knows it (diet) to work closely with me.

That easy zed. Eat every 3 hours or so. Eat things that had a face at every meal with veggies. Carb sources should be low glycemic but if food combining not as crucial as ppl think. Tweak cals 300-500 cals daily up to gain down to lose.

zedhed
07-24-2012, 03:39 PM
K, cool. Can start that ummm....Monday.

Fit Guru
07-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Zed I'm certified in sports nutrition also.

zedhed
07-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Good to know bro. Kinda figured something like that. Thanks again man! For calorie tracking anything better then Fit Day?