PDA

View Full Version : How to Build Big, Balanced, and Sculpted Pecs

FUZO
08-23-2014, 05:38 AM
How to Build Big, Balanced, and Sculpted Pecs

This article was originally posted on FitnessGeared.com,

Over at FitnessGeared.com, we often like to talk about bodybuilding. One of the biggest topics that we cover is on chest development, you know, because everybody wants to have big pecs. A question we always get from fans is this — “How do I build big pecs that are balanced (upper and lower) and well-sculpted? I see a lot of people walking around the gym with big pecs, but their upper chest seem to be lagging. I don’t want that to happen to me so what should I do?”

If you think that building a big chest is all about doing as many different types of chest movements, think again. Working out your pecs isn’t just all about doing the flat bench press either. Yes it’s one of the most effective exercises to do in the gym, but what people tend to forget is that it’s compromised of two different muscles: the upper and lower pectoral muscles.

You need to strive for balance. Having an unproportioned chest is like working out your biceps without ever trying to develop your triceps; you’ll end up with weird looking arms. In this case though, you’ll have a chest that look more like boobs than anything else.

What you need to shoot for is a balanced chest that is NOT round but more square-shaped like the image above. Genetics do play a part in how your chest is going to ultimately look like, but you can control if they look like boobs or not.

So What Should I Do?

Most people make the mistake of making the flat bench press their main and first chest exercise, then proceed to do other variations of chest movements like the incline bench and flys. There’s nothing wrong with this, but the problem is that by always performing the regular bench press first, you’ll develop the lower chest a lot more than the upper chest.

This won’t make a big difference to novice lifters who still have a lot of work to do, but for intermediate lifters who want a balanced and defined chest, try to switch things up by prioritizing your upper chest. Here’s what we mean…

1. Perform compound movements that specifically target the upper chest first like the incline press (barbell or dumbbell) before you do other chest exercises like the flat or decline bench. This will allow you to really push your upper chest strength because you are starting out fresh. By working on your upper chest first in a workout, there is no reason for you to not be lifting really heavy and hard.

2. If your upper chest is significantly lagging, just get rid of the regular bench press altogether from your training program. This way you can focus solely on the incline press whether you’re doing the dumbbell or barbell variation. Do this for a few months until your upper chest starts to catch up to your lower chest. You’ll notice a significant difference as soon as it does. This doesn’t mean though that you will only be doing upper chest exercises. You will still want to maintain your chest strength and development, so continue doing pushups and any sort of horizontal pressing.

3. On top of compound movements, perform isolated upper-chest movements like incline flys. There are all sorts of variations such as using dumbbells, cables, bands, and even a barbell. Go high reps for these isolation movements if the goal is hypertrophy.

4. Build a strong upper back. Yep, you read that right. If you want to develop big, balanced, and well-sculpted pecs, you will also want to build up your upper back. You don’t want to walk around with a big chest sticking out and no back muscles to balance your look from the side view. Having a big upper back will actually make your chest look even bigger! Additionally, back training will help strengthen your compound chest exercises, improve your posture, and prevent injures to your rotator cuff.

Wrapping Up

As you can see, there’s more to building your chest than just doing endless bench pressing. You have to consider the fact that the upper chest need as much work as the rest of your pecs. In order to create a well-rounded look from both the front and the side, your training should encompass different types of modifications and not just your typical chest-day workout. Make sure to perform both compound and isolation movements that target the upper chest, put your lower chest in maintenance mode, and don’t neglect building a strong upper back.

Ironguruera
08-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Ok read.
I agree 100% that start with incline chest is key and has made the most dramatic changes to my chest.

I feel they left off a emphasis in the article of the important of stretch type moves like DB flys. Arnold was a huge advocate of DB flys and stretch work to get the chest to grow. After all the purpose of the chest is to bring the arms across the torso.

Mass move, fascia stretching move, finished with a isolation move like cable cross overs is a great program.

Orange24
08-23-2014, 05:01 PM
I do mainly incline bench and incline fly's. I'll finish with flat buy most my intense sets have an incline. Changed my body drastically once I adopted this routine.

MuscleAddiction
08-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Ok read.
I agree 100% that start with incline chest is key and has made the most dramatic changes to my chest.

I feel they left off a emphasis in the article of the important of stretch type moves like DB flys. Arnold was a huge advocate of DB flys and stretch work to get the chest to grow. After all the purpose of the chest is to bring the arms across the torso.

Mass move, fascia stretching move, finished with a isolation move like cable cross overs is a great program.

I agree with you Iggy...DB flyes are excellent for chest development, especially incline. I like using low cables for this exercise too for the constant tension it gives throughout the movement. I have not done any flat bench for a while now, except for Hammer Strength presses and occasionally machine presses, I always focus more on upper and inner chest as it gives more aesthetics to the chest.

Ironguruera
08-23-2014, 09:39 PM
I agree with you Iggy...DB flyes are excellent for chest development, especially incline. I like using low cables for this exercise too for the constant tension it gives throughout the movement. I have not done any flat bench for a while now, except for Hammer Strength presses and occasionally machine presses, I always focus more on upper and inner chest as it gives more aesthetics to the chest.

Cables on flyes?? U must have a nice gym. It's hard to grab the 2 free benches then lug across the gym. All while hoping some idiot doesn't take the cables. I've done it before and u are right it's a great one!!

Big Hoss
08-23-2014, 11:44 PM
That's what my chest routine consists of... I start off with Machine or Smith Incline Press, move onto to Vertical Bench Press Machine, Vertical Flye Machine, then Overhead & Underhead Cable X-overs. The key is to hit every aspect of the pec muscle fiber group. If my gym had a Hammer Strength Decline Press... I would throw that in there too.

jsam
08-24-2014, 01:23 AM
Great info going to switch up my routine this week. I always thought the key to pecs was a heavy flat bench

Big Hoss
08-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Cables on flyes?? U must have a nice gym. It's hard to grab the 2 free benches then lug across the gym. All while hoping some idiot doesn't take the cables. I've done it before and u are right it's a great one!!

lol! Same here.

MuscleAddiction
08-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Don't forget dumbell pullovers too!!!

Ironguruera
08-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Don't forget dumbell pullovers too!!!

For sure! I watched Kai green doing these in a video where he was showing a young guy how to do em for chest. Man it works good! Great chest contraction. Been adding this in and enjoy it.

zedhed
08-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Post that Kai vid up Iggy! and thanks bro.

Ironguruera
08-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Post that Kai vid up Iggy! and thanks bro.

Lol u just love making me search for the videos I don't save!
Basically do a pull over but only bring your hands to directly over your pecs. Don't let weight come too far back down. U should be using a lower weight and really contracting the chest hard and using the chest to bring the weight up. U should really feel the upper chest area get pumped and full

It's not like a lat and serratus pull over where u use heavier weight, let hips drop and bring the weight more above your crotch.

Ironguruera
08-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Here zed ! Just for u !

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/WDNB8lhONKM

mj_0360
08-24-2014, 09:14 PM
great vid

Ironguruera
08-24-2014, 11:47 PM
great vid

It is. As the Latina says. Kai is so black and so gay. He does know wtf he is doing though! She can say that cause her man is black lol.

zedhed
08-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Awsome bro, You Rock!
Much thanks.
:cool: