PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifter Roll Call

Bruiser
07-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Where are all the powerlifters at? Who do we got, what's your training like, what weight classes you compete in?

I'm a novice PL strongman and arm wrestler. I had trained for over 8 months for my first PL meet in May where I was gonna compete at 275, but had the misfortune of landing in the the hospital with pancreatitis for 5 weeks and put myself out of PL and strongman competition for the rest of this year. So now I'm trying to gain back the 60 lbs I lost while sick and I'm training for arm wrestling tournaments to keep my competitive edge up, build strength and help my deadlift.

Alright guys, your turn.

chuckzilla
07-11-2012, 08:44 PM
hi bruiser, are you from animalpak? i have done two bodybuilding competitions, 3 deadlift competitions and 2 bench press competitions. i weigh 185. usually i do a bodybuilding type workout except i rotate back and forth between a high rep week and a 1rm week for benching and deadlifting. i really like negatives for bench and rack pulls for deads. about 3 months ago i decided to train with the local strongman team and will be in my first strongman comp next month. it is a whole different world and i enjoy it but will go back to a bodybuilding workout after the strongman. for bodybuilding, i do a different muscle group each day monday through friday.

Bruiser
07-11-2012, 08:59 PM
hi bruiser, are you from animalpak? i have done two bodybuilding competitions, 3 deadlift competitions and 2 bench press competitions. i weigh 185. usually i do a bodybuilding type workout except i rotate back and forth between a high rep week and a 1rm week for benching and deadlifting. i really like negatives for bench and rack pulls for deads. about 3 months ago i decided to train with the local strongman team and will be in my first strongman comp next month. it is a whole different world and i enjoy it but will go back to a bodybuilding workout after the strongman. for bodybuilding, i do a different muscle group each day monday through friday.

Yup, the one and only! As soon as I saw your name I figured that was you form the FORVM. Congrats on finding a crew to train with. And good luck at your first strongman competition.

OldGoat
07-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Welcome Chuckzilla!

Bruiser
07-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Welcome Chuckzilla!

Look at that... we're getting the band back together man! Lol

darksidefitness
07-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Power-lifter here in d' house. Stick to Westside training technique. SPF for now @ 180. Still kind of new. Between 1300 and 1400 on the big three.

bubblegumanimals
07-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I knew that's where I knew you from bruiser. Well I hardly post on the forum, but I know some of the guys on universalusa were talking about your misfortunes. I post under the name conjugalburns.

Bruiser
07-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Power-lifter here in d' house. Stick to Westside training technique. SPF for now @ 180. Still kind of new. Between 1300 and 1400 on the big three.

Damn solid work! How many meets have ya done? I'm still waiting to get my first one under my belt. If this busted old man can stay healthy long enough! Lol

Bruiser
07-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I knew that's where I knew you from bruiser. Well I hardly post on the forum, but I know some of the guys on universalusa were talking about your misfortunes. I post under the name conjugalburns.

Well, welcome brutha! Yeah, the FORVM is starting to piss me off. But that comes and goes. It's been a long fucking year for me for sure. Three months of setbacks threw me off my training and outta the PL "season" here in WI for the year. So I'm building a big base with some big gear and just working on recomping and recouping this year. That's why I'm doing arm wrestling now to compete in something! Lol. It's good to see you here man.

bubblegumanimals
07-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Well, welcome brutha! Yeah, the FORVM is starting to piss me off. But that comes and goes. It's been a long fucking year for me for sure. Three months of setbacks threw me off my training and outta the PL "season" here in WI for the year. So I'm building a big base with some big gear and just working on recomping and recouping this year. That's why I'm doing arm wrestling now to compete in something! Lol. It's good to see you here man.

haha yeah I hear you man. Yeah that really blows but hopefully you recover fast and gain back all that lost size. Yeah not being able to do Pl meets must blow, but atleast you have the arm wrestling to keep you busy.

OldGoat
07-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Look at that... we're getting the band back together man! Lolyep, im sure more to come!

knights
07-12-2012, 10:55 PM
if you guys need any special sections or topics for posting in.....just let me know ;-)

Encino_Mang
07-14-2012, 12:17 AM

What Div:

(1) RAW: (2) SINGLE-PLY, (3) MULTI-PLY ?

chuckzilla
07-14-2012, 01:43 PM
hello everyone, (good to hear from you bruiser) alot of good people here, hope i can learn something and help out.

darksidefitness
07-14-2012, 03:11 PM
RAW but considering single ply. Just need a trainer partner. My wife can't help me getting the freaking shirt on. LoL!

What Div:

(1) RAW: (2) SINGLE-PLY, (3) MULTI-PLY ?

chuckzilla
07-27-2012, 07:00 PM
for sqauts, what kind of rep range are you guys using for strength?

Bruiser
08-13-2012, 08:08 PM
for sqauts, what kind of rep range are you guys using for strength?

One week I do heavy singles and doubles, then the next week I do either speed work (8-12 sets of 2 as fast as possible) or low weight/high volume (6-8 sets of 10-20 reps). Kind of a modified Westside. Then every third week I do a 75% test. I take my current 1RM and do 75% of that for as many reps as possible. I keep track and see how it improves. Gives you two separate PRs to look forward to that way. I also do this system with my OHP, bench and deathlift.

chuckzilla
08-21-2012, 05:35 AM
One week I do heavy singles and doubles, then the next week I do either speed work (8-12 sets of 2 as fast as possible) or low weight/high volume (6-8 sets of 10-20 reps). Kind of a modified Westside. Then every third week I do a 75% test. I take my current 1RM and do 75% of that for as many reps as possible. I keep track and see how it improves. Gives you two separate PRs to look forward to that way. I also do this system with my OHP, bench and deathlift.thank you bruiser, just what i was looking for.

Bruiser
08-21-2012, 07:47 AM
thank you bruiser, just what i was looking for.

No problem princess! About time you returned! Lol

moya1
08-23-2012, 02:45 AM
good for about 1200@148 rite now raw in knee wraps.... USPA

Bruiser
08-23-2012, 07:22 AM
good for about 1200@148 rite now raw in knee wraps.... USPA

Nice work man! And welcome

chuckzilla
08-26-2012, 08:12 PM
bruiser, starting your sqaut routine tomorrow. you promised not to call me princess on the forums.

Bruiser
08-26-2012, 08:48 PM
bruiser, starting your sqaut routine tomorrow. you promised not to call me princess on the forums.

Sorry Queen. Lol. I'm starting a new program tomorrow actually!

Week 1:
Mon - DE bench
Tue - ME squat
Wed - off
Thu - OHP
Fri - DE Deathlift (conventional)

Week 2:
Mon - ME bench
Tue - DE squat
Wed - off
Thu - OHP
Fri - ME Deathlift (sumo)

Week 3:
Mon - DE bench (incline)
Tue - ME squat (box)
Wed - off
Thu - OHP
Fri - DE deathlift (sumo)

Week 4:
Mon - ME bench (incline)
Tue - DE squat (box)
Wed - off
Thu - OHP
Fri - ME deathlift (conventional)

Repeat

moya1
08-27-2012, 09:08 AM
yo...
ive done some meets here in CA... won overall best lifter here at home in modesto once, full meet raw USPA and a DL only best lifter here in modesto...
made the deadlift only at the olympia last year, i went but wasnt ready and did shitttttttyyyyyy but thats ok... been workin on things this year and im about ready to get back on the platform this october... either the USPA san jose or san luis obispo meet... im looking at 1200@148 raw, which i believe should qualify me for the la fit expo in jan. 2013 which will now be for RAW lifters :)
my bench fucking suck though... looking to hit around 475/230/500+ , then maybe 1300ish for the expo if i can stay consistent... juggling a family and work so its easy to get overwhelmed at times....
CHALK AND HATE!!!

moya1
08-27-2012, 09:10 AM
^oh damn i didnt realize i already posted in here lololol
ya ima be good for 475+ squat come octobah...

mugzy
09-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Its been a few years however if I can remain healthy I may compete in Dec.

Bruiser
09-06-2012, 02:04 PM
^oh damn i didnt realize i already posted in here lololol
ya ima be good for 475+ squat come octobah...

Good luck man

Its been a few years however if I can remain healthy I may compete in Dec.

Welcome bro. Keep us informed how the training is going.

chuckzilla
09-19-2012, 08:01 PM
welcome mugzy. how is the new routine working for you bruiser?

njguy
09-19-2012, 11:36 PM
i do 1230@190 raw with never having run a cycle of anything AND losing over 300lbs in 2 years (470->142->back to 200)

Bruiser
09-20-2012, 08:39 AM
welcome mugzy. how is the new routine working for you bruiser?

Hit and miss. Had a lot of shit going on as of late so I'm just playing it by ear. Making some great gains. Deathlift and bench are both up 5-10 lbs. And my body weight is down to 220.

i do 1230@190 raw with never having run a cycle of anything AND losing over 300lbs in 2 years (470->142->back to 200)

Welcome bro

Hoss
10-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Good read

SisterSteel
10-05-2012, 10:34 PM
I've competed in PLing and also in Olympic Weightlifting. My current training incorporates both. I was supposed to do Raw Unity next year but I changed my plans and I'm focusing on BJJ right now. I'm still strength training and always will. I set 3 American Records at APC Nationals this year in the 198lbs class raw. I'll compete again next year most likely in the fall b/c I have IBJJF Gi Worlds and Gi Pan Am's (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu). I'll be looking for a 1200+ raw total in the 198lbs class (I may drop a weight class).

kazman68
10-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Ex PL here trained under Pacifico and had the honor of meeting Louie Simmons the Godfather of PL, responsible for a lot of mass,thickness and muscle density. Did you know Louie says he has been on gear 28 YEARS STRAIGHT?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/the_mad_monk_of_power_lifting_an_interview_with_lo uie_simmons

chuckzilla
10-09-2012, 06:58 PM
good to meet you sistersteel and kazman.

kazman68
10-09-2012, 07:02 PM
good to meet you sistersteel and kazman.

Nice to have you here bro..

SisterSteel
10-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Ex PL here trained under Pacifico and had the honor of meeting Louie Simmons the Godfather of PL, responsible for a lot of mass,thickness and muscle density. Did you know Louie says he has been on gear 28 YEARS STRAIGHT?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/the_mad_monk_of_power_lifting_an_interview_with_lo uie_simmons

I've trained with Curtis Leslie and Steve Goggins.

kazman68
10-10-2012, 10:09 PM
I've trained with Curtis Leslie and Steve Goggins.

I recognize those names...whats your best total? and you compete at 198 correct?

SisterSteel
10-10-2012, 10:27 PM
I recognize those names...whats your best total? and you compete at 198 correct?

Best raw total for gym would be 1275+lbs (500lbsX2 squat, 275lbs bench, 500lbs dead). My last meet wasn't as good b/c I dropped weight 4hrs before the weigh in (I decided to do it last minute) so I was cramping REAL bad so dropped all my totals to avoid injury and hit something like 1075lbs raw. It wasn't bad but not nearly what I'm capable of. Yeah, I compete in the 198lbs class. I'll be competing at a SPF meet sometime next year.

Long term I want to pull 575+, squat 600+, and bench 315lbs. I pull conventional but I'll be working on sumo after my last BJJ Tourney of the year (No Gi Worlds in Nov).

kazman68
10-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Best raw total for gym would be 1275+lbs (500lbsX2 squat, 275lbs bench, 500lbs dead). My last meet wasn't as good b/c I dropped weight 4hrs before the weigh in (I decided to do it last minute) so I was cramping REAL bad so dropped all my totals to avoid injury and hit something like 1075lbs raw. It wasn't bad but not nearly what I'm capable of. Yeah, I compete in the 198lbs class. I'll be competing at a SPF meet sometime next year.

Long term I want to pull 575+, squat 600+, and bench 315lbs. I pull conventional but I'll be working on sumo after my last BJJ Tourney of the year (No Gi Worlds in Nov).

Very impressive Sister!!!

Bruiser
10-11-2012, 07:31 AM

You'll like what sumo will do for your deads. I could never pull conventional or alt grip because the mechanics of it just never felt right (I couldn't even pull more than 200 without pain). I got help with my sumo pull and got my form dialed in and was pulling 315 sumo. Then I tried pulling conventional... DAMN! My deads jumped to 375 this past month (with cutting down to bw of 225). And I feel like I've got 405 in me next ME day. Who woulda thought that pulling sumo double overhand grip for a year was just assistance work for my DL?! Lol.

Bruiser
10-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Nice to have you here bro..

Welcome

chuckzilla
10-28-2012, 11:48 AM
heavy sqaut day tomorrow, may try for a new 1rm.

SisterSteel
10-28-2012, 11:53 AM
You'll like what sumo will do for your deads. I could never pull conventional or alt grip because the mechanics of it just never felt right (I couldn't even pull more than 200 without pain). I got help with my sumo pull and got my form dialed in and was pulling 315 sumo. Then I tried pulling conventional... DAMN! My deads jumped to 375 this past month (with cutting down to bw of 225). And I feel like I've got 405 in me next ME day. Who woulda thought that pulling sumo double overhand grip for a year was just assistance work for my DL?! Lol.

I don't pull with an over/under grip. I use a hook grip. One of the many things Oly lifting taught me. You know Louie says that pulling sumo will always help your conventional pull but not vice versa. The same thing has been said about benching very wide.

AgentYes
12-06-2012, 04:43 AM
I don't pull with an over/under grip. I use a hook grip. One of the many things Oly lifting taught me. You know Louie says that pulling sumo will always help your conventional pull but not vice versa. The same thing has been said about benching very wide.

Amazing lifts. I also learned to pull sumo. Got up to 250x1. Then I got a new training partner, moved deeds to back day and started pulling conventional. This was a couple of months ago and I just picked up 305. Interesting. I don't compete obvi.

chuckzilla
12-11-2012, 08:19 PM
welcome agentyes, adding 55# to your deadlift is great.

kazman68
12-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Improvement is always good, keep up the hard work!

SisterSteel
12-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Amazing lifts. I also learned to pull sumo. Got up to 250x1. Then I got a new training partner, moved deeds to back day and started pulling conventional. This was a couple of months ago and I just picked up 305. Interesting. I don't compete obvi.

Thanks AgentYes. I'm hoping to shatter those lifts next year. I still have to work on pulling sumo. It bothers my knees so I'll probably try a semi sumo again (Coan style).

Don't worry about competing. Maybe you'll want to sometime in the future but if not all the matters is that you're making progress.

AgentYes
12-12-2012, 01:39 AM
Thanks AgentYes. I'm hoping to shatter those lifts next year. I still have to work on pulling sumo. It bothers my knees so I'll probably try a semi sumo again (Coan style).

Don't worry about competing. Maybe you'll want to sometime in the future but if not all the matters is that you're making progress.

An experienced lifter will always find their best leverage and stance I'm sure you'll get there. Shatter!?!? Sweet Jesus I can't even imagine. God that's rad.

Bruiser
01-17-2013, 10:28 AM

Glad to hear about the improvement. I was the same. Pulled sumo for a while and switched to conv and my numbers just started climbing. Great work!

welcome agentyes, adding 55# to your deadlift is great.

Hells yes!

chuckzilla
01-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Amazing lifts. I also learned to pull sumo. Got up to 250x1. Then I got a new training partner, moved deeds to back day and started pulling conventional. This was a couple of months ago and I just picked up 305. Interesting. I don't compete obvi.i seem to do better with a training partner also.

SisterSteel
01-19-2013, 12:19 PM
An experienced lifter will always find their best leverage and stance I'm sure you'll get there. Shatter!?!? Sweet Jesus I can't even imagine. God that's rad.

I want at least a 550lbs official pull in the 198lbs raw class. I think sumo will get me there. The only hard part is that I also compete in another sport that doesn't compliment PLing. BJJ makes it difficult to keep my size and strength but I'm not going to give up either of them. I'm having to much fun with both.

AgentYes
01-20-2013, 06:05 AM
I want at least a 550lbs official pull in the 198lbs raw class. I think sumo will get me there. The only hard part is that I also compete in another sport that doesn't compliment PLing. BJJ makes it difficult to keep my size and strength but I'm not going to give up either of them. I'm having to much fun with both.

#superheroproblems