PDA

View Full Version : Grand Cherokee or Wrangler

xdude
10-28-2014, 05:44 AM
well it is arount the time I either commit to the 05 GC for another 5 years until it dies or get something new .
I have been debating a few idea.. I do like the GC and was think of get a new one ( it is amazing how much the MPG has gone up on the GC I get 17 and they are advertising up to 30 ..so I figure that I would get about 25 ) .. but have also debated the idea of a 4 door wrangler unlimited..
as for other vehicles I am open..but I don't like that super rounded look that a lot of makers have now ( nissaon murano or the regular cherokee for that matter as examples) or the big opening front grill like most of the fords. ( looks like a open whales mouth) .. given this I don't like most vehicle out there . Not really a truck person either..

no wrong answers here ... just looking for opinions

Applehead23
10-28-2014, 06:30 AM
Wrangler.. Or this: http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/28/84832b1aac8db445103da615a5638273.jpg

baby1
10-28-2014, 08:01 AM
WE have been shopping for a vehicle to. have looked at the Jeeps as well but are going back and forth on a Durango Limited that I want. Was at the dealership on Friday night and I looked at Fuzo and said " im done" and walked out,lol. Got a call the next day and almost down to the price I want it. I hate haggling and all the bs you get from the sales people.

The Grand Cherokee and Cherokee are real nice. Today I am headed to the GMC dealership. They don't give me what I want ...then I am out of there to, lol.

Good luck to you as car shopping can be a real PITA. The sad thing is we have a 2004 Ford Explorer with 97000 in great condiion but it needs a timing chain and not about to put that kind of money into it so we probably will not get much for it.

xdude
10-28-2014, 09:55 AM
last time I bought a car I paid the $30-$50 ( at the time) for consumer reports actual dealer price... If I remeber correct there was one price for unlimited models and one if you got it down to a couple.. models ( like $10 each) and it was good for a month or so..

the report tells you the real cost to get it to the dealer ...( apparently they had some insiders tha supplied the info according to the web site ) I walked in knowing what they paid for it .. and when the dealer an I were way off base ...I knew when he was jerking my chain.. the final stop was a place , where they gave me crap for a trade in... but gave me a great price on the Jeep.. it was below Dealer cost according to the Consumer report.

Also if you live near a state border , there were deals that were in certain areas of the country that were not in the state next door.. for example a new england discount might not be the same as the Ny,nj,PA discount ...depending on the amount of over stock..if I wanted to go down south it was an extra 750, hard to justify though..

Caddy's have never been my thing... I like the SUV,, hard to off road with a Caddy... although they are built much better these days ...

and I forgot to mention... the durango's are nice looking.. that actually is on my list too...
they have done a lot with those and they really look sharp

in 05 the dash looked like a mistake it was so long and deep... and boy did they suck down gas back then!
I test road one then.... and said nope..

Now they just look mean , I will have to test one of those too

bonis90
10-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Charger? the new ones look like the heir to the dukes of hazard general Lee

baby1
10-28-2014, 11:48 AM
This is pic of it and it has tan leather inside. I hear so much negative about Chrysler products though2656

Lunchbox
10-28-2014, 02:00 PM
This is pic of it and it has tan leather inside. I hear so much negative about Chrysler products though2656

Chrysler products have had the most issues in recent years.

Ironguruera
10-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Not sure what your true criteria and usage for the vehicle is. Need more info. Seems mostly based on looks? Which is fine.
Fwiw all cars today are utter shit and get rid of most anything when it's out of warranty is my advise. Stick with Japanese cars for best reliability ie Toyota and Honda being superior.

We are also looking for a larger vehicle and drove the Durango and the gmc Acadia. The Durango has a much stiffer well planted feel to it then the Acadia. That said my wife liked how the Acadia drove better.

All those dealer cost print outs are utterly useless bullshit. It only matters if u find a dealer who is willing to sell it at that!
It's just a way for these online companies to make money. Nothing more.
The average dealer wipes it's ass with those print outs. If they do sell it at that price rest assured the dealer is making money on either financing, your trade in, warranties etc.

Don't get me wrong it's wise to know a good price and be an educated consumer. Also putting money down is a huge waste of money. Unless by putting money down u qualify for a better interest rate. Figure every $1000 Down only changes your monthly payment $20 a month with a 60 month loan ......u are far better off keeping your money in the bank for payments and registration! Unless u are putting half down save your money and make extra payments to principal to offset the interest loss. Far better usage of your money.

baby1
10-28-2014, 02:54 PM
I am quite knowledgable when buying a vehicle . Learned a lot from my dad by sitting, listening, and keeping my mouth shut. He always went with me to buy cars when I was younger and got me the best deal one could get. I am pretty aware of the tricks they pull and the number bs they move around. The way the vehicle looks is a consideration, but there is much more we want out of it. I popped in the GMC dealer yesterday and drove a Terrain Denali model, and I liked it a lot. I know Fuzo will think it is to small, but I will be driving it most. My aunt just bought an Acadia and she loves it so we will check that out to. One thing I do know is that we want leather interior and it has to have nice rims, lol. We are both big on how the wheels look. Thanks for the info.

baby1
10-28-2014, 02:56 PM
The reason I told Fuzo lets get out of here, on Friday at the dealership , was because they told us they couldn't give us an interest rate before we signed the deal. What a joke, I looked at Fuzo and said "I'm out of here", so he, my daughter and I walked out the door

Lunchbox
10-28-2014, 03:12 PM
The reason I told Fuzo lets get out of here, on Friday at the dealership , was because they told us they couldn't give us an interest rate before we signed the deal. What a joke, I looked at Fuzo and said "I'm out of here", so he, my daughter and I walked out the door

Wow.. They actually said that!!

baby1
10-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Wow.. They actually said that!!

Yes they did...and with that, we exited, lol.

Ironguruera
10-28-2014, 04:44 PM

Wow! Yes run away!

My post was more geared toward xdude In regards to vehicle type.

Check out the Acadia though. It's well appointed and has a lot of cargo space behind the 3rd row compared to the rest in its class.

baby1
10-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Wow! Yes run away!

Check out the Acadia though. It's well appointed and has a lot of cargo space behind the 3rd row compared to the rest in its class.

Yes it is very nice. I also like the Buick Enclave but it is higher in price

xdude
10-28-2014, 06:55 PM
because they told us they couldn't give us an interest rate before we signed the deal.
HAHAHAHAHAHA that is a good one...
I have heard that you should also have financing ready when you are buying ... but not tell them.. because they get a kickback from the bank

The last time I bought I had another strange thing happen
I work at an office park that has a common cafe for 8 buildings .. there was a guy from the Credit union there ..
talked with him for 5 minutes , and he punch my social into his cell phone ( that was a little too big brother for me )
and aproved me ,, and I knew the rate and payments ... when I got back to my desk I had an email with details on it
( again a little too big brother for me )
I was approved because the CU had access to my pay information once I approve them to access it ..
fastest loan I ever heard of

xdude
10-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Wow! Yes run away!

don't need a third row ...
I have good luck with my Jeep...but now Jeep is no longer a mercedes but a Fiat ...

Ironguruera
10-28-2014, 07:40 PM
don't need a third row ...
I have good luck with my Jeep...but now Jeep is no longer a mercedes but a Fiat ...

They are merely owned by them. Nothing else. There's no Mercedes or fiat parts in them.

NTL
10-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Don't know if y'all know but they're discontinuing the Durango after 2016. I recently bought my wife a Mazda 3 she really enjoys the car. The first dealership I went to give me the runaround and after threatening to whoop some ass I was asked to leave the dealership. I think the heavy doses of tren was really coming out

BigBones
10-28-2014, 10:16 PM
Land Rover if you have some spare cash. I had one for years (bought it used - new is too rich for me ). Thing hit over 180K miles before I had any substantial work needing to be done (transmission) and I beat the piss out of it off-roading.

baby1
10-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Don't know if y'all know but they're discontinuing the Durango after 2016. I recently bought my wife a Mazda 3 she really enjoys the car. The first dealership I went to give me the runaround and after threatening to whoop some ass I was asked to leave the dealership. I think the heavy doses of tren was really coming out

Would that really matter if they stopped after 2016, like it wouldn't be good to but the 2014? I know hubby is set on that one but I want to take the Buick and GMC for a ride first.

Ironguruera
10-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Doesn't really matter. As I mentioned earlier get rid of any new car after the warranty is up. Ford has now lowered parts availability from 10 to 7 yrs. it's one way they avoided needing the bail out.

Most domestic cars it's hard to get parts for if it's over 10 yrs old if it's not a classic. However that's mostly trim/cosmetic pieces. Engine/mechanical parts are usually still available if not the aftermarket has them.

If u like the durrango I wouldn't let that stop u. Many cars only have a few yr run before the new body style is out.

xdude
10-29-2014, 07:35 AM
Land Rover if you have some spare cash. I had one for years (bought it used - new is too rich for me ). Thing hit over 180K miles before I had any substantial work needing to be done (transmission) and I beat the piss out of it off-roading.

most Cherokees make it that high ( just check craig's list used ) ...if I wanted to go that long I would jkust keep my 05...it is just over 100K..no offense but after 100K all interiors are the same ...a little worse for wear

xdude
10-29-2014, 07:48 AM
. Ford has now lowered parts availability from 10 to 7 yrs. it's one way they avoided needing the bail out.
t.
Sort of
Top 10 cash for clunkers trade ins

Ford Explorer 4WD
Ford F150 Pickup 2WD
Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD
Jeep Cherokee 4WD
Ford Explorer 2WD
Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan
Chevrolet Blazer 4WD
Ford F-150 Pickup 4WD
Chevrolet C1500 Pickup 2WD
Ford Windstar
5 out 10 were fords... of course the top cars bought were Foriegn except ford excape and focus...

Granted those were all the explorers that were in the lawsuit over Tire pressure ..
my gym owner has 2 of those explorers ....since junk yards have tons of parts and he is a fix it yourself type guy
he will have them forever...plenty of cheap parts... can't rebuild the engine though

Not knocking ford too much though... they did seem to have better prepared finance department..

baby1
10-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Doesn't really matter. As I mentioned earlier get rid of any new car after the warranty is up. Ford has now lowered parts availability from 10 to 7 yrs. it's one way they avoided needing the bail out.

Most domestic cars it's hard to get parts for if it's over 10 yrs old if it's not a classic. However that's mostly trim/cosmetic pieces. Engine/mechanical parts are usually still available if not the aftermarket has them.

If u like the durrango I wouldn't let that stop u. Many cars only have a few yr run before the new body style is out.

That is exactly what our Ford is that we have now, 10 years old. Timing chain is ready to go any second and way to costly to fix. Other than that though, the body and everything els is is great condition. That's what really sux about it.

NTL
10-29-2014, 08:01 AM
Would that really matter if they stopped after 2016, like it wouldn't be good to but the 2014? I know hubby is set on that one but I want to take the Buick and GMC for a ride first.
No it doesn't matter. I was just sharing information I had recently read in a news article.

baby1
10-29-2014, 08:23 AM
Thanks. It gets confusing when you hear so much. Some like this, some like that...I guess we have to go with what we like:)

BigBones
10-29-2014, 09:16 AM
most Cherokees make it that high ( just check craig's list used ) ...if I wanted to go that long I would jkust keep my 05...it is just over 100K..no offense but after 100K all interiors are the same ...a little worse for wear

I didn't know that about Cherokees. True true about the interiors. :)

Vicious 13
10-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Behind on he the thread but I bought a new cherokee in 2012 for my wife. It's been an awesome car the v8 hemi tows my boat no problem. We are looking to trade up to a suburban though with the family growing. I'd love to keep it for myself but I need a truck bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xdude
10-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Behind on he the thread but I bought a new cherokee in 2012 for my wife. It's been an awesome car the v8 hemi tows my boat no problem. We are looking to trade up to a suburban though with the family growing. I'd love to keep it for myself but I need a truck bed
That is one thing I hate about the GC... the back seat is good for a 12 year old and nothing older.... there is not too much leg room back there

V8 Hemi... that is good to towing a massive boat.. the 14 was a complete redesign.. when I got my GC a limited was leather seats and v8 now they are all V6 unless you specail order...
so it is all in the trim ... that part sucks ..you have escentially the same Jeep at Lerado and Summit and the only difference is the trim and about $20 K

the comment I read about the Summit is "it is as close as you can get to driving around in a barc-a-lounger regardless of the terrain"
he said you are not taking this 4 wheeling ... but you can ..
the same guy said " the SRT answers a lot of questions no one is asking......but it is a lot of fun" ;)
but it is hard to justify 65k + for an SRT GC

xdude
10-29-2014, 11:19 AM
That is exactly what our Ford is that we have now, 10 years old. Timing chain is ready to go any second and way to costly to fix. Other than that though, the body and everything els is is great condition. That's what really sux about it.

if you like the explorer ... have you looked around for a guy that does those...
yeah it is a big job... but every once in a while you find some guy that say...hey it keeps me busy and just scheduled them
I mean it is not the full time job... just the job he does in between work to pay for the down time..
My brother got a restore Merc for low money and it took 2 months because he was doing in his spare time ...

ordawg1
11-02-2014, 06:10 PM

Great rig -I have bought several through the years. But- hands down for SUV I with stick with Toyota. Hard to beat on ALL points~OD

Vicious 13
11-02-2014, 08:56 PM

baby1
11-02-2014, 09:04 PM
We are picking up our new GMC Acadia tomorrow, I am hoping.

baby1
11-02-2014, 09:05 PM

NICE!

pockets
11-02-2014, 09:22 PM
I like the Chevy Acadia...I love my new explorer xlt but ive always been a chevy guy.

baby1
11-02-2014, 10:24 PM
I like the Chevy Acadia...I love my new explorer xlt but ive always been a chevy guy.

Well it is a GMC which I know is chevy but I like the GMC interiors better, they are nicer quality. We have a great 2004 xlt that needs a timing chain if you are interested,lol. We wouldn't be getting a new car if this didn't happen:(

pockets
11-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Well it is a GMC which I know is chevy but I like the GMC interiors better, they are nicer quality. We have a great 2004 xlt that needs a timing chain if you are interested,lol. We wouldn't be getting a new car if this didn't happen:(
Yea GMCs are nice such as the Yukon etc. I meant im just a chevy guy.
I'll pass on the 2004 xlt my front yard looks like a dealership lol.

xdude
11-02-2014, 11:08 PM

White and black cars show every once of dirt
looks great Vish...

Ironguruera
11-02-2014, 11:26 PM
White and black cars show every once of dirt
looks great Vish...

Bullshit. Black cars show it all.....white not at all. Oddly white is super easy to keep clean. I've had 2 white cars and it's very forgiving to look clean when it's been weeks since last washed. Silver is hard to beat as far as not showing dirt.

Black is the worst and pretty much guaranteed to have swirl marks in a few yrs.

pockets
11-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Yea white is a perfect color. Even if white is dirty it still looks clean.
Black looks nice at night lol.
My new explorer is silver :)

Ironguruera
11-03-2014, 12:45 AM

How much is that timing chain job? Surely fixing that is cheaper then the $600+ monthly payments of the Acadia?

xdude
11-03-2014, 09:04 AM
in college I had a Tan Tempo... (POS and ugly ) but you never had to wash that puppy!

baby1
11-03-2014, 09:27 AM
How much is that timing chain job? Surely fixing that is cheaper then the $600+ monthly payments of the Acadia?

Around $5000. WE already put in $5000 a year ago and dumping it again in a 2004 is not worth it to me. Car payments will not be that high and we do keep our cars for a long time. Its time!

Vicious 13
11-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Timing chain should pretty much equal new engine. It's hard to break a timing belt though I'd maybe get a second opinion?

baby1
11-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Timing chain should pretty much equal new engine. It's hard to break a timing belt though I'd maybe get a second opinion?

and this is what we are being told, that if the engine is pulled we may as well replace that to. Not to mention that the oil is leaking and they are not sure where it is going. there was zero oil in it when we brought it in cause it sounded terrible. last oil change was 4 months ago as we keep up with that. We have had another reputable mechanic take a look and he even advised not to put that kind of money into it.

Vicious 13
11-03-2014, 11:15 AM
and this is what we are being told, that if the engine is pulled we may as well replace that to. Not to mention that the oil is leaking and they are not sure where it is going. there was zero oil in it when we brought it in cause it sounded terrible. last oil change was 4 months ago as we keep up with that. We have had another reputable mechanic take a look and he even advised not to put that kind of money into it.

Yea unless u plan on keeping it 5 to 10 years more I wouldn't put that kind of money into. Down payment and new car. I just dropped a new engine in my 02 silverado trying to avoid a monthly. My transfer case went out that another 2 g's I have to spend since I just spent the 5 lol. Wish I would have just got a new truck.I think u guys r making the right move 👍 at the end of the day it's only money 😜

baby1
11-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Yea unless u plan on keeping it 5 to 10 years more I wouldn't put that kind of money into. Down payment and new car. I just dropped a new engine in my 02 silverado trying to avoid a monthly. My transfer case went out that another 2 g's I have to spend since I just spent the 5 lol. Wish I would have just got a new truck.I think u guys r making the right move �� at the end of the day it's only money ��

thanks for the advice...mush appreciated. I get stressed when looking/ purchasing a new car,lol. I always gravitate to the ones with the bells and whistles. Fuzo doesn't get stressed about it and that makes it easier. I am going to love the BOSE sound system in it and have to refrain from speeding to my loud tunes when I alone. Don't think I will outgrow doing that,lol

Vicious 13
11-03-2014, 11:24 AM
thanks for the advice...mush appreciated. I get stressed when looking/ purchasing a new car,lol. I always gravitate to the ones with the bells and whistles. Fuzo doesn't get stressed about it and that makes it easier. I am going to love the BOSE sound system in it and have to refrain from speeding to my loud tunes when I alone. Don't think I will outgrow doing that,lol

Lol as stated many times this forum needs a like button. My dad just got a silverado ltz w the Bose system and all the bells and whistles I'm sooo jealous. Your going to love it post some pictures!! 👍

baby1
11-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Lol as stated many times this forum needs a like button. My dad just got a silverado ltz w the Bose system and all the bells and whistles I'm sooo jealous. Your going to love it post some pictures!! ��

I have suggested the "like" button also awhile ago. I will def post pics:)

Ironguruera
11-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Yeah scrap that pile! New car time. U check out the Acadia yet?

baby1
11-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Yeah scrap that pile! New car time. U check out the Acadia yet?

just drove it home about an hour ago.

Ironguruera
11-04-2014, 01:10 AM
just drove it home about an hour ago.

Good for u! Enjoy! Did u get the 2nd row with captains chairs or the bench?

baby1
11-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Good for u! Enjoy! Did u get the 2nd row with captains chairs or the bench?

It is an SLT-1 so it has leather, 2nd row captains chairs, and lots more fun stuff but the Bose is my baby:). Think we are going to love it. Thanks for the advice on it. My aunt bought one of them a month ago and she loved it also.

pockets
11-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Nice purchase.....Take good care of it.

baby1
11-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Nice purchase.....Take good care of it.
thanks and I always took good care of my cars. Slacked a lil when my daughter was real little but things should be easier now. Lots of room for her sports gear in the back:)

Slayer
11-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Congrats on the new vehicle! I know buying a new car can be stressfull.

Ironguruera
11-04-2014, 02:13 PM
It is an SLT-1 so it has leather, 2nd row captains chairs, and lots more fun stuff but the Bose is my baby:). Think we are going to love it. Thanks for the advice on it. My aunt bought one of them a month ago and she loved it also.

I think gmc has free maintenance for 2 yrs now so check into that and get free oil changes while u can. 48months sticks in my mind cause I was looking at a 2 yr lease and noted I wouldn't have to service it for my wife while we had it.

Vicious 13
11-04-2014, 03:45 PM
My dad got lifetime oil and wash w the silverado he bought a few weeks ago

Vicious 13
11-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Jeep offers a lifetime power train warranty which can't b beat

Ironguruera
11-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Jeep offers a lifetime power train warranty which can't b beat

Sounds too good to be true. They probably won't cover shit if it looks like it's seen dirt lol. Legal loop holes for days I'm sure. Def need all factory services done and receipts to show such if u ever need to use that warranty.

Vicious 13
11-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Yea I believe it needs to go to the dealer for any work performed so it's in the computer and all services kept up to date. I believe it was an extra expense as well I just can't recall how much. I want to say it added 30 bucks to my monthly but I'm not 100 percent sure. The real question though is like u said are they gonna take care of me if I need them to one day

Ironguruera
11-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Yea I believe it needs to go to the dealer for any work performed so it's in the computer and all services kept up to date. I believe it was an extra expense as well I just can't recall how much. I want to say it added 30 bucks to my monthly but I'm not 100 percent sure. The real question though is like u said are they gonna take care of me if I need them to one day

Exactly! Nice rig!