PDA

View Full Version : Back rehab and mobility work!

Ironguruera
01-22-2015, 10:52 PM
As some of u know I've been out of commission with a jacked back for almost a full week now. I've tweaked my back before but nothing like this. It's truly been the worst week of my life. I was literally bed riden at points and helpless.

I tried the usual things like inversion table, massage, heat, Epsom salt baths, accupunturist, Chiropractor.

The chiro got me back on my feet and somewhat human again, but I was still super stiff and not myself.

Orange on here hooked me up with this epic joe defranco mobility 11 program and it's seriously transformed my quality of life these past 2 days. It's almost hard to believe how huge of an improvement I made doing this a few times yesterday and today.

I'm going to use it for the rest of my life 3-5 times a week.

If u suffer from low back pain and limited rom and flexibility in your legs, hips, groin. I can not recommend this highly enough!!

Luckily I already had a lacrose ball and foam roller. If not get em guys. They are invaluable tools.

Enjoy! Thank orange!

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/FSSDLDhbacc

xdude
01-22-2015, 11:25 PM
I saw a guy doiing this at the gym and I asked the guy at the counter
"I think there is this guy trying to shove a softball up his ass ?"
he So ooh Joe. yeah he is doing back streching routine ...

Ironguruera
01-23-2015, 12:28 AM
If he was Asian and u were at a golds....he was trying to stick it up his ass lol.

Ironguruera
01-23-2015, 12:35 AM
And it took me a heating pad, doing the iron crosses 1st in bed then literally 5 fucking minutes before I could even get onto the floor the 1st session. No exaggerations.

I layed down vs sat up for the ball rolling part 1st few times. I can do it sitting now.
I start with the foam roller under me 1st then transition to the ball. The foam roller isn't as harsh as the ball is.
Still gotta find the right shorts cause the athletic ones I tried get all knotted up around the ball during the exercise.

I had a good session then passed out on the couch flat on my back holding the baby. Back felt best it has in a week afterward! I was even able to sit on the toilet today....well without tears lol.

Man am I happy to be getting better!

Never in my life have a felt so helpless and fucking useless!

I also realize my arms are fucking heavy and while big they are not strong enough.

I will be adding weighted dips and other things into my routine and far more core stuff.

The crazy part is I've been doing way more core/low back then ever before and I actually felt my low back felt the strongest it has in ages.

I'm going to stay on top of this and core and low back are being moved further up my priority list.

I never ever wanna feel like I did this week ever again.

I'm going to force my dad to do this video. He needs it badly.

Encino_Mang
01-23-2015, 05:59 AM
Lot's of good stuff in the video!

xdude
01-23-2015, 08:50 AM
If he was Asian and u were at a golds....he was trying to stick it up his ass lol.
A white dude at my gym... the guy at the counter said he slipped a disk ..later I saw him doing Romanian deadlifts
So it must have been working
that guy disapearred a couple days later....so did his softballl

baby1
01-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Awesome, thanks for the info. I think the majority, especially who train , end up with low back pain at some point

Big Hoss
01-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Yep, I'll have to check it out the next time I throw my back out which will probably be here soon since I've added BB Rows & Stiff-Legged Deadlifts to my workout routine. They're brutal on the old back! Thanks for the info... :)

JRam
02-03-2015, 04:45 PM
You need to read "Healing Back Pain: The Mind Body Connection" by John E. Sarno, M.D. Seriously. It changed my life.

You are just treating the symptoms. You need to treat the cause.

Ironguruera
02-03-2015, 06:45 PM
You need to read "Healing Back Pain: The Mind Body Connection" by John E. Sarno, M.D. Seriously. It changed my life.

You are just treating the symptoms. You need to treat the cause.

I saw it on amazon. The reviews are terrible said it's basically a way to brain wash yourself to think there is no pain....or so the reviews said.

Can u elaborate on it more? What exactly does it teach u?

Ironguruera
02-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Yep, I'll have to check it out the next time I throw my back out which will probably be here soon since I've added BB Rows & Stiff-Legged Deadlifts to my workout routine. They're brutal on the old back! Thanks for the info... :)

U are missing the point. If u want until your back is out it's far too late. It literally took me 5-10 minutes to get onto the floor to do a half assed version of some of these exercises.

The point is to help mobility and be stretching daily to avoid injury.

Sorry if I implied this is a good routine to do once out of commission. U will be lucky do half of them......if u can get on the floor lol.

JRam
02-03-2015, 06:57 PM
I saw it on amazon. The reviews are terrible said it's basically a way to brain wash yourself to think there is no pain....or so the reviews said.

Can u elaborate on it more? What exactly does it teach u?

Dr. Sarno is a legitimate medical expert. He is a surgeon himself and his educational, etc., credentials are impeccable. Many celebrities, such as Howard Stern, among others, swear by him. A lot of people have a vested financial interest in the current lower back pain regimens and all they do is treat the symptoms. Sarno looks at it from another level, i.e., what caused the problem in the first place? If you have an acute injury, Sarno says by all means address it medically w/ pain killers, exercise, or whatever helps. But once it subsides you then have to look at what is causing it to happen over and over again. He also notes that the lower back pain "epidemic" is a recent trend, which is surprising since our forefathers did a lot more manual labor than we do.

Look at all the people who have spinal surgery for their neck and back. There isn't one non-device company study that shows these surgeries to be efficacious. Yet, the doctors and implant companies have made billions off of them and continue to do so.

After a lifetime of back pain, Dr. Sarno's books cured me.

Food for thought if nothing else.

JRam
02-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Check this article out. 600K back surgeries a year, and there's no proof they even work. In fact, they can make you worse.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39658423/ns/health-pain_center/t/back-surgery-may-backfire-patients-pain/#.VNFTH50o61s

A lot of us on here know to question the prevailing medical orthodoxy on all kinds of issues. This should be one of them.

JRam
02-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Read this too ...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/edwardsiedle/2012/09/26/americans-best-doctor-and-his-miracle-cures-dr-john-e-sarno/

Don't let some weak-willed fatties on Amazon discourage you from at least looking into this.

Orange24
02-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Love that mobility training and no the program limber doesn't treat the symptoms it prevents them for even appearing again. It's healing and preventative care. Huge improvements for me, nearly 100% again after an injury I had doing good mornings over 6 months ago

Ironguruera
02-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Read this too ...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/edwardsiedle/2012/09/26/americans-best-doctor-and-his-miracle-cures-dr-john-e-sarno/

Don't let some weak-willed fatties on Amazon discourage you from at least looking into this.

Lmao fatties on amazon.

So does he give exercises to do and or avoid and stretches?? Or is it a mental thing as some made it out to be?

Ironguruera
02-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Check this article out. 600K back surgeries a year, and there's no proof they even work. In fact, they can make you worse.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39658423/ns/health-pain_center/t/back-surgery-may-backfire-patients-pain/#.VNFTH50o61s

A lot of us on here know to question the prevailing medical orthodoxy on all kinds of issues. This should be one of them.

Don't think for a second I would rather get surgery or see a dr if I can do something for it myself via exercises, stretching, yoga, mobility work etc.
Doing that was the only thing that got me back on my feet!

JRam
02-03-2015, 10:04 PM
Lmao fatties on amazon.

So does he give exercises to do and or avoid and stretches?? Or is it a mental thing as some made it out to be?

Found this online in which one guy contrasts an exercise routine program (McKenzie) with Sarno's approach. BTW, he says Sarno's healed him.

Like the McKenzie method, Sarno also doesn’t believe you should stop doing physical activity when you experience back pain. In fact, he recommends the exact opposite. But where he differs is that he believes you should stop all forms of physical therapy, and he recommends this only because he believes physical therapy is a psychological impediment to you believing that it’s all in your mind. After all, if you really believed it was all in your mind, then why would you need physical therapy? So even though he believes there are some benefits to physical therapy (for example, massages, which increase oxygen to your muscles, which reduces pain), he thinks the psychological detriments outweigh the immediate physical benefits. Sarno would almost certainly recommend against doing any of the McKenzie exercises, as doing so would be admitting to yourself that you pulled your muscle.

Sounds crazy, I know. But i tried all these routines and always wound up with back pain again. Since adopting he Sarno's approach I haven't had a problem and it has been years.

Orange24
02-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Ass backwards

JRam
02-03-2015, 10:34 PM
I don't have any dog in this fight. Just sharing my experience. Take it for what you will.

Orange24
02-04-2015, 01:14 PM
I don't have any dog in this fight. Just sharing my experience. Take it for what you will.

I understand the fundamentals of a positive perspective but not admitting that you have an injury to prevent further injuries, or the manifestation of an original injury is like avoiding the doctor when you have brain tumor, God forbid you know for sure because once you do, your dead.

Ironguruera
02-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Jram can u please elaborate on what kind of methods the book teaches to help the root of the issue?

Does he teach rehab work, mobility/stretching, exercises to do or avoid?

JRam
02-04-2015, 04:49 PM
I understand the fundamentals of a positive perspective but not admitting that you have an injury to prevent further injuries, or the manifestation of an original injury is like avoiding the doctor when you have brain tumor, God forbid you know for sure because once you do, your dead.

It's more than "positive thinking." Dr. Sarno is no broscientist, unlike most of the people we see who are peddling cures for lower back pain. He went to Columbia medical school, taught at NYU medical school, and was head of the Rusk Institute. This is a legit guy.

As a spinal surgeon he operated on people who had legit spinal injuries needing this kind of medical treatment - but most do not.

JRam
02-04-2015, 04:53 PM
Jram can u please elaborate on what kind of methods the book teaches to help the root of the issue?

Does he teach rehab work, mobility/stretching, exercises to do or avoid?

According to Dr. Sarno, there's no need for any specialized routine for your back. You can do whatever you want but it's not likely to have any impact on you long term. He does say that after an acute attack, which is what you had, that you should do whatever it takes to get better, e.g., stretching, muscle relaxants, etc. So whatever is working for you right now, keep doing it.

Dr. Sarno's approach is mental. He believes lower back issues, if they are recurrent, as mine were, are caused mostly by mental stress. If you're a Type A personality you're likely to be more susceptible. This may be one of the reasons why so many high profile people swear by him.

TBH, if you don't have recurrent lower back issues you really don't need to explore this any further.

Ironguruera
02-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Ok it was $6 on amazon prime. I will check it out for that! I'll post back in here when I get it

JRam
02-04-2015, 11:38 PM
Ok it was $6 on amazon prime. I will check it out for that! I'll post back in here when I get it

Good luck bro.

MuscleAddiction
02-09-2015, 11:36 AM
As some of u know I've been out of commission with a jacked back for almost a full week now. I've tweaked my back before but nothing like this. It's truly been the worst week of my life. I was literally bed riden at points and helpless.

I tried the usual things like inversion table, massage, heat, Epsom salt baths, accupunturist, Chiropractor.

The chiro got me back on my feet and somewhat human again, but I was still super stiff and not myself.

Orange on here hooked me up with this epic joe defranco mobility 11 program and it's seriously transformed my quality of life these past 2 days. It's almost hard to believe how huge of an improvement I made doing this a few times yesterday and today.

I'm going to use it for the rest of my life 3-5 times a week.

If u suffer from low back pain and limited rom and flexibility in your legs, hips, groin. I can not recommend this highly enough!!

Luckily I already had a lacrose ball and foam roller. If not get em guys. They are invaluable tools.

Enjoy! Thank orange!

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/FSSDLDhbacc

This hurts...I can't make it through it, going to work on it daily until I do, I know it is the reason for my back & abdominal issues. Thanks Iggy & Orange for the video, now to conquer it.

Ironguruera
02-09-2015, 03:15 PM
This hurts...I can't make it through it, going to work on it daily until I do, I know it is the reason for my back & abdominal issues. Thanks Iggy & Orange for the video, now to conquer it.

I don't do all of it but close!

Orange24
02-09-2015, 03:48 PM
It works so well

Ironguruera
02-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Some of them are hard to do. My hams are always crazy tight!

MuscleAddiction
02-09-2015, 09:07 PM
I don't do all of it but close!

It works so well

Some of them are hard to do. My hams are always crazy tight!

Crazy tight and pain when doing the IT Bands and Aductors, have not grabbed the La Cross ball yet, but have been put to tears on some of the other ones. Have some major work to do but it is all good!!! Definitely needed if I am this tight...plus my back is VERY tight.

Lets keep reporting back...stick with it Iggy!!!

Ironguruera
02-09-2015, 10:19 PM
U didn't do the lacrose ball yet??? Hahaha that shit hurts 1st few time but that's what I did 1st and made me be able to walk again. I just crossed my leg in the figure 4 but layed down 1st few times until I was able to sit and do it. That's my fav part of the series and where I get super tight!

Orange24
02-10-2015, 03:25 AM
I use a practice lacrosse ball lol it's semi soft. Works for me. I still cry every time though

Ironguruera
02-10-2015, 05:40 PM
I bought a lacrose ball from rogue for my foot so now it has 2 uses.
My kids ran off with my foam roller but I found it this morning. I'll hit this program tonight

Orange24
02-10-2015, 05:46 PM
I'm out of state playing in a golf tournament and haven't done this for a few days and can already feel things tightening back up

Ironguruera
02-10-2015, 06:43 PM
I'm out of state playing in a golf tournament and haven't done this for a few days and can already feel things tightening back up

Same here.

MuscleAddiction
02-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Yeah, came down with the flu yesterday, thought I was going to be able to dodge it...but my back is now really tight, and add achy not fun.

PudgieRaubach
02-11-2015, 07:47 PM
I've never seen that video before but I've used the ball now a few times and the frog stretch and sure as shit its helped mobility. Have u seen anything like that for the lower trap / rhomboid area? I'm always looking for new ways to break up adhesions in there. I use the roller a lot but I feel like there is a bunch more I've never tried now.

Ironguruera
02-11-2015, 09:50 PM
I've never seen that video before but I've used the ball now a few times and the frog stretch and sure as shit its helped mobility. Have u seen anything like that for the lower trap / rhomboid area? I'm always looking for new ways to break up adhesions in there. I use the roller a lot but I feel like there is a bunch more I've never tried now.

When u do the foam roller for trap rhomboid put your arm straight up like u are raising your hand. That should help dig in there. Honesty try the lacrose ball there as it seems to be able to really dig in deeper and hit more of a small area vs the rollers wide contact patch.

I did more of this video lastnight.

Man I finally feel like my back is almost 100% now. Doing the spinal erector machine at the gym almost every session lately and lots of planking. Combined with this video I'm feeling much more confident in my back. My pelvis was tweaked and doing the spinal erector machine seems to have aligned shit right again.

Ironguruera
02-13-2015, 12:57 AM
Rolled and lacrose ball session tonight with stretching.

My wife wants me to join her to a Pilates class this Sunday at golds.

Anyone ever done it? She said it's like yoga but adds power to it?

PudgieRaubach
02-17-2015, 10:31 PM
Yeah...I've tried all kinds of hand / arm movement to get the roller deep into the adhesions but I used the ball today for the I first time and its night and day. Released tightness before hitting shoulders and it was like seeing the chiro right before lifting. Going to be doing these daily.

I haven't tried Pilates but my girl has said the same line xxx times.....and she lifts regularly so I trust she knows for sure. I've said ill do it, guess just need to go ahead. If u beat me to it, let me know how it goes....ill do same....

Ironguruera
02-17-2015, 10:39 PM
Yeah...I've tried all kinds of hand / arm movement to get the roller deep into the adhesions but I used the ball today for the I first time and its night and day. Released tightness before hitting shoulders and it was like seeing the chiro right before lifting. Going to be doing these daily.

I haven't tried Pilates but my girl has said the same line xxx times.....and she lifts regularly so I trust she knows for sure. I've said ill do it, guess just need to go ahead. If u beat me to it, let me know how it goes....ill do same....

Lol deal! Yeah she's always busting my balls cause I can't reach into the back of the car to grab things for the kids....."that's as far as I can reach!!"

Ironguruera
03-05-2015, 02:49 AM
Been doing spinal erector planks as well as side and conventional planks lately. I met a gymnast/ circus performer at the gym. We train together when we can. He showed me how to do a plank with your toes pointed and bridge your pelvis up. Almost like a glute bridge but without you bending the knees. Imagine making your body a banana shape with pelvis being highest point. Belly faces ceiling and resting shoulders on the floor then contract glutes and spinal erectors to hold the plank. It's tough! He said he wants me to work up to 3 minutes in all positions!! He said this is one of his favs for low back/core stability and strength.

I've been slacking on the posted video lol.

Ironguruera
03-05-2015, 02:52 AM
Here's my buddy doing what he does! https://vimeo.com/121330054

Orange24
03-05-2015, 09:09 AM
Insane

Slayer
03-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Your buddy must have some good shoulders and tri's!

Ironguruera
03-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Your buddy must have some good shoulders and tri's!

Never seen him in anything but a sweater like in the video. He is prob 5'2"-5'5" he prefers to stay under 160. He is very strong. He was benching 315 with a stage 4 band which has gotta be at least 350lb. Granted it almost crushed him lol but very strong !

xdude
03-14-2015, 07:09 PM
Here's my buddy doing what he does! https://vimeo.com/121330054

what no thomas flares? whimp :D

Ironguruera
03-14-2015, 10:55 PM
Thomas flares?

xdude
03-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Thomas flares?
made famous by Kurt Thomas ... showing my age
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMVXzytMe8g