PDA

View Full Version : Supps for Hypertension??

Big Hoss
02-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Have a relative that has hypertension and she wants to control it with diet, exercise, and otc supps instead of meds. Any good otc supps out there? Was thinking about the otc diuretics (water pills), but didn't know if they were any good. Suggestions???

JRam
02-23-2015, 08:25 PM
This should be a popular thread given the interest that most on this board probably have in controlling high blood pressure.

ltyson
02-23-2015, 08:47 PM
What kind of numbers are we talking? I have not found anything natural that will drop it more than 5 or so points at best reliably. So if he is way high, meds may be his best bet.

Of course if he is overweight and out of shape, then proper diet for high blood pressure and exercise may be all he needs but I assume you already know that and looking for other options.

Ltyson

Big Hoss
02-24-2015, 03:29 PM
She said 140/80. That's what I more-or-less told her... see if you can get it down with proper diet & exercise and go from there. She was just curious if there was an OTC alternative instead of meds.

ltyson
02-24-2015, 09:10 PM
Ok those are not bad numbers overall. What you have told her is right. Have her Google high blood pressure diet and there are some good ones, but overall with your knowledge, having her get in better shape by training and cleaning up her diet will be perfect in most cases at those numbers.

There has been a change in recent years with how the medical community rates blood pressure. Used to be everyone wanted 120/70, but they have found that driving numbers to low for some people can cause other issues so they tend not to drive them so low anymore.

There are some good combo supplements targeted towards lowering blood pressure, vitamin shoppe or gnc, will have them displayed for sure. But as mentioned for the cost, the results are marginal at best and require continued use and of course cost.

Would much rather have her save her money, spend it on quality foods to clean up her diet, add in the exercise and she will drop below 140 and feel great.

There are so many variables that drive blood pressure that making general recommendations may or may not be right for her case, but best guess without full workup and further information.

Ltyson

Big Hoss
02-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Ok those are not bad numbers overall. What you have told her is right. Have her Google high blood pressure diet and there are some good ones, but overall with your knowledge, having her get in better shape by training and cleaning up her diet will be perfect in most cases at those numbers.

There has been a change in recent years with how the medical community rates blood pressure. Used to be everyone wanted 120/70, but they have found that driving numbers to low for some people can cause other issues so they tend not to drive them so low anymore.

There are some good combo supplements targeted towards lowering blood pressure, vitamin shoppe or gnc, will have them displayed for sure. But as mentioned for the cost, the results are marginal at best and require continued use and of course cost.

Would much rather have her save her money, spend it on quality foods to clean up her diet, add in the exercise and she will drop below 140 and feel great.

There are so many variables that drive blood pressure that making general recommendations may or may not be right for her case, but best guess without full workup and further information.

Ltyson

Thanks brother, I appreciate the info & the post. :)

baby1
02-27-2015, 08:57 AM
I was just reading some info on this and thought of your thread here. Read up on this study one beet juice for high BP
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/288229.php

Big Hoss
02-27-2015, 12:22 PM
I was just reading some info on this and thought of your thread here. Read up on this study one beet juice for high BP
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/288229.php

Thank you baby1!