PDA

View Full Version : Who is using the 5x5 program and do you like it better for mass than a 3 day split?

Arabian
06-22-2012, 10:57 PM
I have been switching back and forth and it seems that the 5x5 is much harder on joints and muscles due to the weight however I think I am getting more out of my 5x5 program . thoughts?

brato
06-24-2012, 08:26 AM
I've only been lifting for about 3 years. The first 10 months I did starting strength, the next 8-9 months I did madcow. Now I'll do a split for a few months focusing on hypertrophy and go back to madcow for a few months focusing of course on strength. I love both. You're right though, only time I ever take glucosamine is during 5x5.

Off topic, if Robin Meade didn't have a man-voice I would love her.

Thank you that is all.

Bonecrusher
06-24-2012, 12:05 PM
I found the Madcow a few years ago and I like to switch back and forth throughout the year. I generally run 5X5 about 10-12 weeks depending on my progression. It does beat you down, but thats what I like about it. I simply love to train, but that has been a draw back for me in that harder is not always smarter. I will start a 5X5 in a few weeks after vacation when I am healed up and rested nicely:cool:

NTL
06-24-2012, 09:57 PM
5x5 is great for strenght but the older I get the harder it is for me to keep piling the weights on without something hurting somewhere.

OldGoat
06-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Been lifting for over 20 years and for some reason have never used a 5x5 until now. I am at the end of my second week and I actually like it. It is kind of modified. Where I only do my first compound movement in the 5x5. Then everything else is 10-15 reps x 3 sets or so depending on how I feel. i through some FST7 in there as well. But it is keeping me strong, and still giving me the pump Im looking for.

PJ1127
06-26-2012, 10:54 PM
I have been switching back and forth and it seems that the 5x5 is much harder on joints and muscles due to the weight however I think I am getting more out of my 5x5 program . thoughts?

I gave you a good workout back on another site through PM. :cool:

jaytat
06-26-2012, 11:46 PM
I like the three day split for mass, but after 5 weeks try to switch things up a bit keeping it heavy

ozzie90
06-27-2012, 11:56 AM
after a long hiatus from lifting heavy I started back up with 5x5. I really wanted to build up that core of strength and it seemed like a pretty simple straight-forward way to do it. I found it was great to get my poundages back to a respectable level.

donjob
06-27-2012, 09:11 PM
i gained a good amount of strength and mass using 5x5, but i sort of modified it. i didn't use stronglifts or madcow, just used the 5x5 method for big compound lifts, went hypertrophy on accessory lifts and isolation movements like curls and tricep pushdowns. this seemed to work really well for me until i plataeued. switched it up to DC, haven't been doing that long but i feel like i'm not working each muscle group effectively enough, and some lifts have gone down. with 5x5 on weighted pullups i was doing 45lbs. now after i get done with chest tris and shoulders if it's my day for pullups i'm only doing 25lb for one working set (rest pause). maybe because i'm so tired after killing my self on bench dips and shoulder press (example), so i feel my back isn't getting hit as hard. i was doing 5x5 monday wednesday friday by the way, i'm about to switch back to it and see if i start progressing again. i love 5x5

zedhed
06-28-2012, 12:09 PM
LOL hey Arab.
You know my thought on the SL 5x5 bro. Even at my advanced age I love doing this a couple times per year. There not anything quite like the 5x5 for gaining mass and strength. But if your gonna do any 5x5 you really and I mean REALLY have to eat to support the program.
Bro your a prime candidate for it.
Yeah it can be a bit tuff on joints but if you keep it to a 12 week run and dont do it too often your golden.
Again I tell you bro give it a shot, you wont regret it.

coop817
06-29-2012, 08:52 AM
good post.. 5x5 is kind of my go to when in between routines or just when i need a change

BeastInTheEast
06-29-2012, 01:44 PM

Couldn't agree with this more, i did 5x5 for 4 weeks/1 month and all my lifts went up but my joints were very irritated. I was slightly cutting though so it was a little more drastic but this program would be KICK-A$$ while bulking without a doubt, my strength went up really quick too. One of my favorite training styles next to DC! I would probably do like a 1 week de-load every month to let everything heal up, at least i'm one of those people that needs it. Sometimes i just push too hard for too long x.x

zedhed
06-29-2012, 01:53 PM
If joint really get to bothering you on heavy lifting then run a small therapeutic dose of deca during the 5x5 program. I mean small, 125mg/week should do just about anybody just fine. And at that small dose sides are very little if any. I routinely run this dose for 6 months at a time and have no sides. Blood tests prove it.
And another pluz for the deca at a small dose like that, it promotes collagen synthesis.

mondtster
06-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Did it before and it helped me build a great strength base. On 5/3/1 now. But plan on going back to the 5x5 soon.

zedhed
07-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Also Arab what is really nice for you on the 5x5 is its a 3 day a week program. Roughly 30-45 mins in the gym working out.

Arabian
07-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Also Arab what is really nice for you on the 5x5 is its a 3 day a week program. Roughly 30-45 mins in the gym working out.

That is what I really like about it Zed, you are hitting everything hard and in and out in 45 min.

zedhed
07-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Fosho bro!

Watevrpal
07-04-2012, 09:26 AM
I have been running the 5x5 for a while now off and on alternating between the 531, and I also modified my 5x5 I run 5 sets of 5 at 80% of my 1rm. Example 5sets of 5 at 245 for chest. The weighted dips followed by 4 sets of 25 pushups. When I started the 5x5 I could barely run 185 that way and that was almost 12 months ago.

zedhed
07-04-2012, 10:15 AM
^^^Very nice bro^^^
IMO the 5x5 should be the Go To program for prolly 80% of peeps that are serious about lifting and looking good naked!

flward
07-25-2012, 11:11 PM
I used it before in the past, my joints were sore, but i remedy that with a lil horse lineament from the feed store. I've gain moderate amount of mass, but what I really love about 5x5 I went from better than most to alpha male had me like my days of youth in the Corps.

Oldschooliron
07-26-2012, 02:30 AM
Been lifting for over 20 years and for some reason have never used a 5x5 until now. I am at the end of my second week and I actually like it. It is kind of modified. Where I only do my first compound movement in the 5x5. Then everything else is 10-15 reps x 3 sets or so depending on how I feel. i through some FST7 in there as well. But it is keeping me strong, and still giving me the pump Im looking for.

You show your 20 yrs right here brother. Pure knowledge.

There is no one best approach! I prefer exactly what u just said. I do a compilation of them all. I find this best for growth, cut, staying lean. I take the things that work from all my favs over the years and melted it all together.

zedhed
07-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Been taking a few days off to let my shoulder quiet down.
Now ready to restart as it feels pretty good.
Same program but different...LOL gonna do an alternate chest workout that you can see over in the Weight Training section.

newNimproved
07-31-2012, 10:11 AM
i do more of a 6x6 with free weights compound lifts, then 4x10 for iso movements.

like oldgoat, i learned from old brothers like him. you gotta work your muscles in different ways to get them beyond the muscle and fitness look

zedhed
08-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Your right bro. I will do the 5x5 for 2 progressions at the longest then on to something entirely diff.

Orange24
08-06-2012, 11:29 AM
3 day split for me. Occasionally 4.

htownjoe
08-16-2012, 08:55 PM
I am thinking about starting it in a few weeks. I did a little bit of legs this morning to get a feel for where I need to start when I begin an actual lifting regimen again. I was surprisingly stronger than I thought I would be. I did lighter weights for two sets, but I was surprised at how good it felt to actually be lifting again. I have about 3 weeks of Insanity left and I am thinking of adding a light weight workout each night with the intent of building sets and weight so that when I hit it hard in a few weeks my joints are ready for the strain. The thing I like about the 5x5 is it appears to focus on major muscle groups which I would think is a good place for someone to start, as well as a good way to get past a strength plateau for an experienced lifter.

NYJACK
12-01-2014, 02:25 AM
What is exact layout for 5x5? N is it always benchpress, squats, n deadlift? Can shoulder movements b incorporated? Like clean n press, or my all time favorite shoulder movement:BEHIND THE NECK PRESS. I often superset them with behind the neck pullups/pulldowns.
Incidentally, as long as I do them slow n controlled, they are less painful than standard front presses n even flat bench, where the front delt

Colstreamer
01-02-2015, 08:06 PM
What is exact layout for 5x5? N is it always benchpress, squats, n deadlift? Can shoulder movements b incorporated? Like clean n press, or my all time favorite shoulder movement:BEHIND THE NECK PRESS. I often superset them with behind the neck pullups/pulldowns.
Incidentally, as long as I do them slow n controlled, they are less painful than standard front presses n even flat bench, where the front delt

It works like this bro;
Two workouts, A and B, A is squat, flat bench press and bent over barbell row. B is squat, Deadlift and overhead press (do it behind the neck if you prefer) all for 5reps 5sets. You train three days per week, eg Monday, Wednesday, Friday alternating the workout each time; so one week it'll be A,B,A the next B,A,B. You increase each lift by 5lbs (2.5kg for me cos I'm in Europe) each session except deadlift, that you need to increase by 10lbs so that it keeps up with squats. The idea is to start off relatively light and push past previous maxes. As you're adding 5-10lbs to each lift each week it soon gets very heavy. You basically add 30lbs to each lift per month, so as you can see, starting light is kinda essential otherwise you're going to plateau too soon.

Ironguruera
01-03-2015, 01:56 PM
It works like this bro;
Two workouts, A and B, A is squat, flat bench press and bent over barbell row. B is squat, Deadlift and overhead press (do it behind the neck if you prefer) all for 5reps 5sets. You train three days per week, eg Monday, Wednesday, Friday alternating the workout each time; so one week it'll be A,B,A the next B,A,B. You increase each lift by 5lbs (2.5kg for me cos I'm in Europe) each session except deadlift, that you need to increase by 10lbs so that it keeps up with squats. The idea is to start off relatively light and push past previous maxes. As you're adding 5-10lbs to each lift each week it soon gets very heavy. You basically add 30lbs to each lift per month, so as you can see, starting light is kinda essential otherwise you're going to plateau too soon.

Perfect brief synopsis! Key is to crush your ego and start light! It's not easy lol. Don't let your ego get in the way. It will be heavy soon enough!