PDA

View Full Version : Fuggered my shoulder

zedhed
07-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Ok this has not been the best year of my life injury wise. Nuff said.
Recently I am finding that I have yet again screwed my right (once repaired) shoulder. So I am thinking do away with bench, either all together or for a year or so.
The thing is I get such dam gr8 results from good ol flat bench press.
But as a replacement I am gonna try Gironda CHEST dips.
http://ironguru.com/vince-gironda-dips

I did this a couple years back and at least maintained what I had.
I am hoping that I can gain some this time around. I keep forgetting that even doing the dips weightless I getting the benefit of at least 200 lbs. I weigh 250 so am guessing 25 lbs for each arm???
I have found that anything that I do on the bench/incline just hurts like a mofo.
Anybody have any thoughts or wanna discuss, jump in.

Fit Guru
07-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Stay away from flat bench press!! That's your body saying stop. If the dips are working for you and don't hurt your shoulder then I would continue them. Concentrate on flat flies and incline flies as long as it doesn't hurt your shoulder. your chest is designed to pull your arms across your body anyway so doing flies is your best benefit.

NTL
07-20-2012, 04:26 PM
I got a bad shoulder also and stay away from barbell benching. Like Cane said dumbells and I all hit the cables for chest also.

zedhed
07-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks bros!

Oldschooliron
07-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Zed I fucking love the gironda dips. There are several key things with them. U must have a v shaped dip station. I will give u a gift brother. It's a sketch the legend Vince himself drew up of these dips. Lots of key details.

Now since your shoulder hurts I might say don't try then Larry's way. Larry's way there are even more crucial tricks. U must pronate the hands just right. If u really want I'll dig up the video of the legend himself doing them. Here is a teaser of him doing them. Note his hand position. By rotating the hands really takes the triceps out of the picture. Vince came up with this idea for Larry. It's pure gold. 135

Oldschooliron
07-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Ps. I almost forgot the most important thing. This will take some playing with the movement. U want to push up with all with your chest pretend your arms are not even there. Once u get it down u will feel it right away and be like man that magical and jerk off on the dip station lol.

Ps these are hard as hell I can do reg dips with a 45 & a 25 on a good day.

Gironda dips not a chance! Man status

I have a few more Larry and Vince tricks up my sleeve but they are very advanced and not or a weak shoulder. I will start doing them next week.

Lol just realized u had that link in your post.

Arabian
07-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Good luck buddy, let it heal.

Manny1983
07-21-2012, 12:31 AM
I have a nagging left shoulder problem that used to bother the hell out of me while I did bb bench presses, but now I warm my shoulders up extremely well before I even start my routine with flys and since I've been doing this my shoulder has not bothered me.

deathdodger
07-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Stay away from flat bench press!! That's your body saying stop. If the dips are working for you and don't hurt your shoulder then I would continue them. Concentrate on flat flies and incline flies as long as it doesn't hurt your shoulder. your chest is designed to pull your arms across your body anyway so doing flies is your best benefit.

ditto

thegodfather
07-21-2012, 10:03 AM
I had shoulder surgery in '09 and i havent done flat bench any heavier than 135 since then. Just not worth the risk in my opinion.

zedhed
07-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Zed I fucking love the gironda dips. There are several key things with them. U must have a v shaped dip station. I will give u a gift brother. It's a sketch the legend Vince himself drew up of these dips. Lots of key details.

Now since your shoulder hurts I might say don't try then Larry's way. Larry's way there are even more crucial tricks. U must pronate the hands just right. If u really want I'll dig up the video of the legend himself doing them. Here is a teaser of him doing them. Note his hand position. By rotating the hands really takes the triceps out of the picture. Vince came up with this idea for Larry. It's pure gold. 135

Hmm bro. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I never caught the pronated hands. I dont have the V bar setup. What I do is use 2 sawhorses with 33" center to center. But I could put them at a V configuration.

Oldschooliron
07-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Hmm bro. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I never caught the pronated hands. I dont have the V bar setup. What I do is use 2 sawhorses with 33" center to center. But I could put them at a V configuration.

Honestly I prefer Vince's way to Larry's. Larry's seem to inflame my shoulder. I was going to try Larry's way again on Sunday and see how I feel. Lemme dig up that video of Larry doing it his way. The pronation of the hands/wrists is crucial.

I literally spoke to Larry on the phone by accident one day when I was ordering a cd from his company. He was so kind and shared tons of info. He went on to say by facing the palms out u change to the bicep over tricep and the bicep has a direct chest tie in. u also prevent the tricep from overpowering the move.

I have a dip /pull up station at home and I modified the bolt holes to achieve the v shape. The golds I go to doesn't have the v shape and I find this really makes a diff....u can rotate the hands to simulate a v setup to a small degree.

I also really agree warming up my shoulders before chest has helped a great deal! I just grab some #15 lb dumbs or so and do like 2-3 sets of ohp 20-25 reps with some rotated cuff moves as well then I go to chest.

Oldschooliron
07-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Zed----here ya go. The legend himself in action. Fast forward to like 4:05 iirc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3pbVpBBsVg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here is lee priest showing vince's way or like a banana as he calls it lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCnVSwTxia8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

zedhed
07-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks a ton for the help here bro!

Oldschooliron
07-21-2012, 02:29 PM
My pleasure zed

zedhed
07-23-2012, 12:03 PM
I wish he would have given more of an explanation on the incline flys...

Oldschooliron
07-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Iirc that fly video is continued on the 2nd video of that series.

That's my only beef with that video series. Some of the exercises he doesn't do them but couches those ppl. I'd rather he did them all. He puts a lot of interesting tweaks on everything he does. Check out how he rotates his scapula in the back stuff. Crazy!!

zedhed
07-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Will do bro and thanks.

zedhed
07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Ok yesterday I did some new for me chest work. This guy is kinda lame but he knows his shit as you can see from his bod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkQ_PH7CDoU&feature=player_embedded#t=0s

Also floor presses with Dbls are working without too much pain and last but not least incline flys with Dbls.

zedhed
07-31-2012, 09:53 AM
jeeze where is everybody???

Anyway been taking a few days off and my shoulder feels pretty good so time to start working again with the above in place.
Ready or not will keep you all posted.

Oldschooliron
07-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Hey zed. Yeah it's a ghost town around here!

lol scooby is a trip. I've watched his vids before. If he says co linear one more fucking time I'm going to rage out lol!!

I don't like that u miss the stretch and are doing the top half of the chest press only......but for your rehab purposes it will suffice. I was busy last few weeks.....time to ramp up training. I got the sandbag for my speed bag. I'll get into that and those Larry Scott flys and dips this week I posted above. Those ring flys are crazy hard! Makes u respect those ring gymnastics on New level!

zedhed
07-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Hey OS glad to see you back man. Yeah I agree on the stretch but bro my dam shoulder just cant take that ROM any more so have to do what I can at this point.
IDK if Ima gonna get it fixed again or not. Right now the plan is to just see how it pans out. If it works out that I can do at least 2 variations of some kind of chest press or dips work then I will prolly just let it go providing that it dosnt interfere too much with daily life.
Right now it hurts, but I did get in a pretty good chest workout today. Did the chicken presses (Scooby vid), 4x20@50 lbs. Gonna hold at this weight and see I get past the pain or not.

Oldschooliron
07-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Yeah I had a shoulder issue. Side laterals with db killed em. I use a side lateral machine now. I get way more shoulder pump off of them with it anyways.

I do light db ohp like 2 sets of 20-30 reps superset with a rotator cuff exercise before chest day. It's made Huge difference in my shoulder.

However if something is messed up....it's messed up. Putting off surgery is only prolonging the issue. Sooner u get it fixed....sooner u can progress.

zedhed
08-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah bro I know your right. Had it fixed once before several years back. Am thinking of having it done when I get my hernia fixed. You know the 2 birds with one stone thing....I reckon that I would have to wait about a week between procedures or so.

Oldschooliron
08-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah bro I know your right. Had it fixed once before several years back. Am thinking of having it done when I get my hernia fixed. You know the 2 birds with one stone thing....I reckon that I would have to wait about a week between procedures or so.

U are getting old zed. Time to put u down lol.

J/k. Get that shit fixed and get after it!

I had a daughter so I'm trying to get as jacked and freakish as possible so guys run in fear while I'm still kind of young.
I'm also training my dog to go for crotch on any male within a 2 mile radius of the house.
He is working on his jaw power here. I told him I expect a box of pencils by the time I'm home from work!

zedhed
08-01-2012, 04:22 PM
OLDER AND BETTER MOFO! LOL.
Jacked and freakish as possible yeah baby!!
I am down just a lil bit but def not out by a long shot bro.:cool:

Encino_Mang
08-01-2012, 08:08 PM
What did they say is wrong with your shoulder? I've had mine cut on twice 20 years ago, still not right. I just need to be careful.....heck if you can do dips that's enough to build on.

zedhed
08-02-2012, 11:22 AM
I am guessing that its rotater cuff related or maybe a torn detached labrum again. Hurts pretty much all the time with very limited ROM.

Oldschooliron
08-02-2012, 12:52 PM
I am guessing that its rotater cuff related or maybe a torn detached labrum again. Hurts pretty much all the time with very limited ROM.

I got excited for a second when I thought u said labia lol. Can throw a hilarious labia story up if u would like.

Let us know what the butcher aka "dr" says. Lol.

zedhed
08-02-2012, 04:07 PM
LMAO bro.
Gonna be awhile before I see the butcher bro. I know its trashed so will do what I can to work around it for now. Gonna do the hernia either late Sept or early Oct. Then hopefully a week later do the dam shoulder.
Foshobro alway up for a good labia story!

Oldschooliron
08-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Ok so I used to work with this hilarious guy let's call him Jerry. Jerry was that harassing ball busting yet crazy funny older brother u never had. At work is also this other guy that's seriously 5' 5" 118 lbs. sticks for arms and legs. He literally jacked his knee up taking a forklift propane bottle out of a truck cab at work lol. He is that weak and feeble.

So when he tore his meniscus at work he kept telling anyone who crossed his path about his torn meniscus. He was talking medical injuries with jerry who has lots of old snowboard injuries. He told the weak feeble guy hey when I jacked my knee my labia was jacked badly in my knee. U should have your dr look at it when he fixes your meniscus. He kept planting this labia "seed" for weeks.........

Long story short that fucking moron asked his fucking dr...."hey so what about my labia". Dr was like wtf!?! Who told u to ask that nearly dying laughing.

True fucking story. I swear on my eyes.

I have a few more funny ass stories with these guys. Some he was setup again. Others..he did all by his genius self lol.
These other stories are :
"vaginal dryness"
"Shaken baby syndrome"
"Femur shattered to dust"
" herpes sauce"

If u like I can share those. Maybe this one is one of those ya had to be there who knows lol...

zedhed
08-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Laughing my ass off!!!

SFDan
08-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Hey Zed- sorry about the shoulder.

zedhed
08-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks bro.
So how is your program going man?

SFDan
08-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Just back a couple days from being in the redwoods with friends for two weeks. Way too many cigars and drinks. Let's just call it a major de-load. lol
Apart from that, easing back in and am really sore. Plan to start hitting it heavy come Monday. Thanks for asking bro.

Oldschooliron
08-03-2012, 08:28 PM
It's shoulder night tonight zed. I'll think of you while it do my work. Heal up!

Arabian
08-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Hope your shoulder is better pal.

Skyling35
08-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Ok so I used to work with this hilarious guy let's call him Jerry. Jerry was that harassing ball busting yet crazy funny older brother u never had. At work is also this other guy that's seriously 5' 5" 118 lbs. sticks for arms and legs. He literally jacked his knee up taking a forklift propane bottle out of a truck cab at work lol. He is that weak and feeble.

So when he tore his meniscus at work he kept telling anyone who crossed his path about his torn meniscus. He was talking medical injuries with jerry who has lots of old snowboard injuries. He told the weak feeble guy hey when I jacked my knee my labia was jacked badly in my knee. U should have your dr look at it when he fixes your meniscus. He kept planting this labia "seed" for weeks.........

Long story short that fucking moron asked his fucking dr...."hey so what about my labia". Dr was like wtf!?! Who told u to ask that nearly dying laughing.

True fucking story. I swear on my eyes.

I have a few more funny ass stories with these guys. Some he was setup again. Others..he did all by his genius self lol.
These other stories are :
"vaginal dryness"
"Shaken baby syndrome"
"Femur shattered to dust"
" herpes sauce"

If u like I can share those. Maybe this one is one of those ya had to be there who knows lol...

Sounds like you have all the material for a cOmedy thread lol

Oldschooliron
08-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Lol.

Mr P
08-06-2012, 06:44 PM
lol, wish you a fast recovery ZED, I love this exercise never done it, but I can Imagine how well it works on chest, will try this fosho,

zedhed
08-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Hey Mr.P so good to see you on here man. Have really missed you bro. PM me a phone number dammit!

Mr P
08-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Hey Mr.P so good to see you on here man. Have really missed you bro. PM me a phone number dammit!

we missed you to brother :) pm sent

zedhed
08-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Well today did chest and tries.
For chest did incline flys and that went all good.
Also did floor presses from the waist. That felt pretty good too as long as I remembered to keep my hands tipped at the right angle.
For tries did French Press. A little bit of pain pushing the dbls up to the start position but after that all good.

zedhed
08-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Ok so far am happy that I can report that I am doing the alternate chest presses and seem to be getting along just fine.
I am doing the floor presses 2 diff ways. I do them with my arms at 45° out from my bod and also with my arms str8 down by my sides.
Also have found that I can do incline flys so am way happy bout that.
As for the G-dips, I just dont have a good feeling about them right now so am gonna take a pass on them. Maybe just being a big ol pussy, IDK but what I am doing works for now so thats what Im sticking with and happy that I can do even that much.

Mrs P
08-13-2012, 01:12 PM
It's best to play it safe, sticking to what works for u & knowing your limits is playing smart.. Glad your shoulder is better Zedhed :)

zedhed
08-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Much thanks Lady P. So good to see you posting. Was missing you and The Man.