PDA

View Full Version : Full body vs splits

Orange24
01-27-2017, 10:28 PM
Anyone do full bodies? Been doing it for about 3 weeks now and am enjoying the change. Strength is up for sure.

Ironguruera
01-28-2017, 02:17 AM
Always seemed like more of a powerlifting vs BB type of routine to me. It was a common training style of some guys from the golden era like Marvin Eder.
U peaked my interest and my training has been stale lately. Maybe like 5 compound moves is just what I need to shake things up if nothing else for some damn variety! My oldest is sleeping and my BB books are up in her closet. I'll dig up marvins routine for everyone

Orange24
01-28-2017, 08:02 PM
I really haven't lost any size at all and only doing it three days a week to give my CNS a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironguruera
01-28-2017, 08:14 PM
I really haven't lost any size at all and only doing it three days a week to give my CNS a break.

My daughter slept in late today. I'll grab that book tonight if I can.

So what's your routine looking like?

Ironguruera
01-28-2017, 09:45 PM
Here u go bro. When u consider the shit Eder was lifting was in the 50's this was pre juice days. If I recall d bol was invented in 1953 so didn't really hit the scene until later.

Orange24
01-28-2017, 09:49 PM
To be honest it's basically all those lifts. Finish with some supersets. I got the routine off t-nation.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/lift-3-days-a-week-and-grow

Orange24
01-29-2017, 12:00 AM
It's hard to wonder whether or not blasting on this routine with be aesthetically beneficial.

Orange24
01-30-2017, 03:20 PM
1 month in. Not down a single lb on scale but definitely leaner. There is a larger expenditure of calories to these workouts I think.

Ironguruera
01-31-2017, 02:30 PM
Yeah your program looks more advanced. My gym is pretty busy right now with year years douches and another location shut down so not much chances of doing some of those super sets on yours. I'm going to give the simpler one I posted and add some hypertophy tweaks at the end

Ironguruera
02-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Are u doing the deadlifts? I thought u swore off them after u tweaked yourself doing dreads a while back? Everyone I know that does dreads gets fucked up doing them at some point😂 they are a great move for power just risky

Orange24
02-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Are u doing the deadlifts? I thought u swore off them after u tweaked yourself doing dreads a while back? Everyone I know that does dreads gets fucked up doing them at some point😂 they are a great move for power just risky

Remember that Limber 11 routine? That fixed me. I dead lift a lot now.

Ironguruera
02-02-2017, 01:18 AM
Remember that Limber 11 routine? That fixed me. I dead lift a lot now.

Of course I do. I still do some of it but not nearly often enough. Thanks for the reminder! I use it before bed to help me relax.

Ok orange u inspired me dusting off the almost 70 yr old program I posted up. I tried it tonight. Fuck it kicked my ass! Granted last few months I haven't been on my gym a game but it's a great simple program. I added some DB pull overs and a variation of a savend press superset for more chest and ribcage expansion.
I'm going to stick with it s few months

Orange24
02-02-2017, 12:09 PM
Of course I do. I still do some of it but not nearly often enough. Thanks for the reminder! I use it before bed to help me relax.

Ok orange u inspired me dusting off the almost 70 yr old program I posted up. I tried it tonight. Fuck it kicked my ass! Granted last few months I haven't been on my gym a game but it's a great simple program. I added some DB pull overs and a variation of a savend press superset for more chest and ribcage expansion.
I'm going to stick with it s few months

Glad you seem to enjoy it, as I do too. Really had my doubts when starting but keeping fullness no doubt. What I like is the taxation on the body and being that it's only 3 days a week this schedule permits enough time off to heal. My job is extremely physical so I break a crazy sweat almost daily so my cardio isn't lacking in the least.

Keep a journal and log the strength increases every week, makes it a lot more fun to beat previous lifts.

One thing I've noticed that's interesting is, when I performed arm days in the past I absolutely blasted my arms from every angle both bi and tri and had minor soreness the next day. Now that I'm working on strength I'm doing less sets but certainly higher weight and I notice I'm significantly more sore the following day with just a few sets. Food for thought!

I think my body and CNS are enjoying this routine more.

Ironguruera
02-02-2017, 02:47 PM
I'm not sore today but I'm mega pumped. My arms are super full and I only did the 4 sets of Seated DB curls but they were 4 solid sets. Had a good pump off them for sure. I love the useful overall daily power I get from these types of moves.

Orange24
02-02-2017, 02:56 PM
I'm not sore today but I'm mega pumped. My arms are super full and I only did the 4 sets of Seated DB curls but they were 4 solid sets. Had a good pump off them for sure. I love the useful overall daily power I get from these types of moves.

Exactly!! 4 sets had me pumped as well.

Orange24
02-04-2017, 06:51 PM
8 sets of DL today. 4 snatch grip 4 regular. 300lbs for 6 reps.

Ironguruera
02-04-2017, 08:14 PM
I had a good workout yesterday. Repping 225 for 8-10 reps easy again for 3 sets. I'll bump up next week. Trying to pace myself and take my time.

Ironguruera
02-04-2017, 08:32 PM
Meant on bench press. I'll be back over 300 lb bench soon enough again.

Orange24
02-05-2017, 02:21 AM
Never been able to bench even close to that. Bench has always been my worse lift despite great pec development, however never been even remotely close to 300. Barely 225. And this is with 10 years of training.

Ironguruera
02-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Never been able to bench even close to that. Bench has always been my worse lift despite great pec development, however never been even remotely close to 300. Barely 225. And this is with 10 years of training.

I never could bench shit. 225 was a goal to work towards. I always did hammer machine stuff, DB , flys etc.

Once I started to use resistance bands my bench press took off like wild fire. Fight the negatives. Make them slow and fight the bands. Do that a few weeks then try no bands. Weight keeps going up. My buddy is 225 lbs and benches 495. He taught me the ways. He can rep 315 feet in the air like it's a fucking toy.

Orange24
02-05-2017, 03:00 PM
I never could bench shit. 225 was a goal to work towards. I always did hammer machine stuff, DB , flys etc.

Once I started to use resistance bands my bench press took off like wild fire. Fight the negatives. Make them slow and fight the bands. Do that a few weeks then try no bands. Weight keeps going up. My buddy is 225 lbs and benches 495. He taught me the ways. He can rep 315 feet in the air like it's a fucking toy.

I will definitely give that a shot. One thing that has gotten my strength up the past few weeks has been paused reps.

Orange24
02-05-2017, 07:19 PM
I felt so strong and full today doing day 1. All numbers climbing. Loving the legs a few days a week. No pain anywhere right now either so feeling real healthy.

Ironguruera
02-06-2017, 02:35 PM
I felt so strong and full today doing day 1. All numbers climbing. Loving the legs a few days a week. No pain anywhere right now either so feeling real healthy.

I was talking to my dad today about this Marvin Eder guy. He met him a few times. He trained my dads friend and gave my dad tips and tricks too. My dad said he has never seen anyone as strong as Marvin Eder. He told me the same story I had read. Joe weider fucked Marvin out of competing for the Olympics cause Marvin took $10 from
Weiders photographer so weider kicked him out of the AAU and that made him not be eligible to compete. My dad said he beat the Russian guy by 10 lbs in all the lifts but the crazy thing was the Russian was well over 300 lbs Vs Eder being under 200!

Orange24
02-07-2017, 11:04 PM
I was talking to my dad today about this Marvin Eder guy. He met him a few times. He trained my dads friend and gave my dad tips and tricks too. My dad said he has never seen anyone as strong as Marvin Eder. He told me the same story I had read. Joe weider fucked Marvin out of competing for the Olympics cause Marvin took $10 from
Weiders photographer so weider kicked him out of the AAU and that made him not be eligible to compete. My dad said he beat the Russian guy by 10 lbs in all the lifts but the crazy thing was the Russian was well over 300 lbs Vs Eder being under 200!

Holy cow haha. What a difference

Ironguruera
02-11-2017, 08:36 PM
For 2 days a week drinking beer and eating whatever I want ....not to bad 😂

Digging this whole body program a lot. I mixed it up a tiny bit yesterday and did incline BB bench and added weighted dips and triceps work. Switched to
Underhand grip on BB rows

Orange24
02-11-2017, 09:32 PM
For 2 days a week drinking beer and eating whatever I want ....not to bad 😂

Digging this whole body program a lot. I mixed it up a tiny bit yesterday and did incline BB bench and added weighted dips and triceps work. Switched to
Underhand grip on BB rows

Sounds about right, been me as well haha. Program is great. Going to dial it in a little more next week. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170212/de459ec19f2147acf254bf72b76d1863.jpg

Had some good brisket and fried Mac tho! Bomb! Then hot fudge Sunday. Then a Kolche.

Ironguruera
02-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Looks good!

Orange24
02-27-2017, 02:02 AM
Still been doing full bodies? I've been really growing the last 3-4 weeks!! And I'm natty right now. Really looking fuller and leaner.

Hitting legs a lot must be helping here.

Ironguruera
02-27-2017, 12:11 PM
Still been doing full bodies? I've been really growing the last 3-4 weeks!! And I'm natty right now. Really looking fuller and leaner.

Hitting legs a lot must be helping here.

Yes but I digress I said fuck the gym last week. Family in town and friends invited me out after work so I took the week off. I'll start back up this week again. I was enjoying it! I found another gym Im going to try I forgot about. Rumor is it's old and no one there. Sounds perfect since all I need is simple ass shit! I think this one the incline bench has safety stops vs the one I go to now u need a spotter or don't go balls out lol.

Orange24
02-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Nice give it a shot.

My strength is climbing a lot. Workouts beat the crap out of you but 3 days all I've needed to really grow.

Ironguruera
02-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Nice give it a shot.

My strength is climbing a lot. Workouts beat the crap out of you but 3 days all I've needed to really grow.

Yeah the workouts really kick my ass! Awesome utilization of time though. I've had a few ppl ask if I was trying to get bigger again cause I'm getting bigger.

Ironguruera
03-04-2017, 01:07 PM
I got back after it this week. Truly love this routine. Probably best routine I've used. I like the simplicity of it and it's easy enough to swap say T bar rows for bent over rows or do incline bench instead of flat 1 day a week to mix it up a little. Some days I'll add 1-2 more moves for one body part that day but for the most part it's about 6 moves

Bench
Bent over row
Standing barbell press
Lat pull downs
Squats
Seated DB curls palms
Up entire time

Love that I need very small amount of equipment

Orange24
03-05-2017, 07:49 PM
My numbers are much higher than they've been in a while. It's hard for me to grow unless progressive overload is applied to my sessions. If I don't get stronger I don't grow, period.

Ironguruera
03-06-2017, 04:50 PM
My numbers are much higher than they've been in a while. It's hard for me to grow unless progressive overload is applied to my sessions. If I don't get stronger I don't grow, period.

Always has to be means of progression or gains will stalemate. I've been doing bands on bench last few weeks. On Friday I used 2 bands. Fucker was hard to unrack lol. Should be stronger on 225 this week I'll see how I do. I'm ready mentally to rep 275 again but body needs more time. When I can rep 225 with bands it's time!

Orange24
03-06-2017, 04:54 PM
I spotted a kid. 25 years old, benching 515. He was 5,6 215lbs and shredded. Never seen anything like that before.

Ironguruera
03-06-2017, 07:52 PM
That's insane! Esp for a lean built like that. My buddy is 225 benches 495. Did u talk to him at all? Surely he competes

Orange24
05-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Iggy the new full body workouts for advanced lifters is on t-nation now. Love this variation. I've been running 5 days of no carbs and some on weekends to lean out and am seeing huge improvements in insulin sensitivity, however I feel moody when blood sugar gets low.

Manzer
03-28-2018, 06:44 AM
Did you stick to this workout, Orange24? If you did, how are your experiences with it after a while of being on it?

Orange24
03-28-2018, 02:51 PM
I did for a time. Was great. Went back to splits. Good to rotate

kazman68
03-28-2018, 03:18 PM
Anyone do full bodies? Been doing it for about 3 weeks now and am enjoying the change. Strength is up for sure.

I have done them from time to time good way to change things up.