PDA

View Full Version : Post workout carb?

Orange24
06-07-2017, 07:25 PM
What do y'all do? I've always stuck to MA suggestions of bananas and honey in my shake.

Ironguruera
06-08-2017, 12:44 AM
What do y'all do? I've always stuck to MA suggestions of bananas and honey in my shake.

Karbolyn most of the time sometimes cytomax.

Orange24
06-08-2017, 09:53 AM
I'm wondering how important carbs are after workouts. Experimenting this last month with ketogenic diets and hardly lost any size if any. Lost about 8lbs of fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironguruera
06-08-2017, 02:22 PM
I'm wondering how important carbs are after workouts. Experimenting this last month with ketogenic diets and hardly lost any size if any. Lost about 8lbs of fat.

Interesting debate. I have a book "nutrient timing" it claims carbs/ with protein taken post workout accelerated recovery/muscle growth by 40%. I've also heard it's horse 🐴 💩 and as long as u get enough bcaa/protein/carbs daily that's all that matters......

That said my muscle feel and look fuller and stay more pumped the next day after I workout.....if I take carbs post workout vs not.

My issue is....wtf do u eat for breakfast if not a buffet of carbs as my wife calls my breakfast lol. I feel so deflated without carbs.....

Orange24
06-08-2017, 04:46 PM
I have never needed carbs to feel energized. However I'm flatter without them, no doubt. The leaner you get tho the appearance hardens. Not saying I'm harder but appears that way and the skin thins and new veins appear. Lower carb I feel way better, more stable for sure.

MuscleAddiction
06-08-2017, 05:09 PM
My coach switched me on this...so I now consume Karbolic or Karbolyn (carb powder) immediately after training, like as soon as last rep is done and I am taxed I am downing 50g, then 20 minutes later drink my shake. Then eat a heavy carb meal 1-1.5 hours after that. It replenishes glycogen in the muscle and will not be stored as fat. The reason to separate is protein slows down the carb absorption, so get carbs on board immediately after heavy weight training, protein shake 20 minutes later...and rest days. My size is coming in nicely...show is just shy of 12 weeks. You can still do banana and raisins immediately for you carb source, just separate from your protein. My coach knows his stuff.

AnalogMan
06-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Great Thread.. I'll just touch on carbs. After you train carbs are an extremely important part of your training nutrition. Carbs are your body's primary energy source and will be are used to restore your body's muscle glycogen. If your post workout doesn't contain carbs ,you may actually break down your gained muscle tissue. And if your looking to add muscle, that would not be good. Plus carbs create an insulin spike that moves nutrients into the muscle tissue faster and quicker repair. A lot a trainers say, with in 1 hour post training.. I think it's absolutely crucial (like MA) . The closer the window, the better....20-30 grams per 100lbs 'LBM'.
Now you got to put some protein and a few things in there,but OP ask about carbs. Now I can give my thought on that, but timing is important here.. Just my thouhgt............AM

MuscleAddiction
06-08-2017, 07:38 PM

These are the two I have used, I like Karbolyn better, but both offer 50g per serving. Just have it ready as soon as you walk away from the weights, your muscles will love you for it.

Ironguruera
06-08-2017, 08:10 PM
My coach switched me on this...so I now consume Karbolic or Karbolyn (carb powder) immediately after training, like as soon as last rep is done and I am taxed I am downing 50g, then 20 minutes later drink my shake. Then eat a heavy carb meal 1-1.5 hours after that. It replenishes glycogen in the muscle and will not be stored as fat. The reason to separate is protein slows down the carb absorption, so get carbs on board immediately after heavy weight training, protein shake 20 minutes later...and rest days. My size is coming in nicely...show is just shy of 12 weeks. You can still do banana and raisins immediately for you carb source, just separate from your protein. My coach knows his stuff.

Very interesting info on separating the carbs and protein!

MuscleAddiction
06-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Between 50–60% of protein becomes glucose and enters the bloodstream about 3–4 hours after it's eaten. Don't eat fruit, fruit juice, or a "sweet" (often called fast-acting carbohydrates) for a snack without also eating protein. The protein will slow the absorption of carbohydrate. So this being said, you need the carbs to be able to absorb first and fast then wait and consume protein from what my coach says 20 minutes due to the spike AM was mentioning. Then eat your carbs with protein the rest of day to slow the absorption of it.

Ironguruera
06-09-2017, 01:15 PM
Between 50–60% of protein becomes glucose and enters the bloodstream about 3–4 hours after it's eaten. Don't eat fruit, fruit juice, or a "sweet" (often called fast-acting carbohydrates) for a snack without also eating protein. The protein will slow the absorption of carbohydrate. So this being said, you need the carbs to be able to absorb first and fast then wait and consume protein from what my coach says 20 minutes due to the spike AM was mentioning. Then eat your carbs with protein the rest of day to slow the absorption of it.

Makes perfect sense when u put it like that. That's why people get confused about glycemic index. Yes on paper white rice has a terrible insulin spine index rating.....but how often does anyone sit and eat just white rice ala carte?? Add some chicken and the glycemic load of the meal as a whole is fine.

Skosao
06-10-2017, 07:20 PM
oatmeal/banana/protein + 6iu humalog + 5iu hgh

Orange24
06-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Hahha

Ironguruera
06-10-2017, 08:20 PM
oatmeal/banana/protein + 6iu humalog + 5iu hgh

I like your style!

PudgieRaubach
06-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Karbolyn during w bcaas and meal after or Karolyn right after w shake. If not one of those two I'll start sweating like I'm in The rain forest until I get those nutrients in. It's almost like I'm hypo but I'm not. P

Big Hoss
06-13-2017, 11:49 AM
What about for those of us that are on a Keto style diet?

Orange24
06-14-2017, 03:54 PM
What about for those of us that are on a Keto style diet?

Post workout shake on a keto diet isn't completely necessary, in other words don't put too much stock in it. 1.5 tbs PB in it is fine, just don't consume whey alone. Ever.

Dave palumbo just emailed me this as I asked him last week.

Big Hoss
06-15-2017, 11:26 AM
Post workout shake on a keto diet isn't completely necessary, in other words don't put too much stock in it. 1.5 tbs PB in it is fine, just don't consume whey alone. Ever.

Dave palumbo just emailed me this as I asked him last week.

Awesome, thanks!