PDA

View Full Version : Trap blasting

bdad
08-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Just wondering what everyone was doing for traps. I recently added power clings to deadlift/back day and my traps are feeling it!!!!!

NTL
08-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Heavy dead lifts and shrugs.

bdad
08-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Shrugs with the bar in front or behind your waist?

Manny1983
08-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Shrugs with the bar in front or behind your waist?

I usually add behind the back shrugs every other workout. Incase you do them as I used to until I was shown proper form, you need to get your feet in place slightly bend your knees and lean forward just enough so the bar isn't touching your body then shrug away aiming your shoulders to behind your ears. World of difference especially if you hold and squeeze at the top.

I also like to do upright rows after shrugs

layddually
08-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Every time I do traps I have to go to chiropractor. The harder I try to not push my head forward the worse it is.

Manny1983
08-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Every time I do traps I have to go to chiropractor. The harder I try to not push my head forward the worse it is.

I actually seen a guy at the gym with a neck brace to hold his head still. Needless to say it looked uncomfortable

thegodfather
08-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Deadlifts or Rack Pulls with a snatch grip always kills my traps. Deadlifts in general though will build overall trap growth better than any other exercise IMO.

zedhed
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Shrugs in front.
Shrugs behind.
Upright rows wide grip.
Nice!

Lunchbox
08-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Deadlifts and shrugs seem to hit them the hardest for me.

zedhed
08-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Oh yeah also forgot to mention that I use a 2 second count both up and down on just about everything.

mondtster
08-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Clean Pulls!

Oldschooliron
08-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Shrugs in smith machine with bar behind back has made mine really take off.
Do a warm up set of like 20-30 reps. Really concentrate on the contraction. 1st set or 2 I'll do light weight like 135-185 . Then last 2 sets heavy.
Then I'll do 1 last set of light again 15-20 reps and squeeze those traps like hell!!!

Ive done the standard dumbbell raises and they suck. A bar on the squat cage isn't bad.

The key is to not use so much weight u can't contract them....u see guys do them and they move the traps like 1" lol.

Lean forward a little and man can u hit them hard.

I find a closer grip I can contract them
Harder then a wider grip. Play around a little with it.

If u have a good lift day and wanna go crazy u can start bar in back then superset to bar in front of legs. That will really roast em.

Terpvtx
08-14-2012, 04:54 AM
Concentrating on the contraction and the squeeze is key in my opinion. I agree with Oldschool, if you can't pause and squeeze your traps for a 1-2 second count at the peak of the contraction, then you need to lower the weight.

ozzie90
08-14-2012, 11:00 AM
My gym has a prettty good shrug apparatus so you can stand between the bars and use a neutral grip (palms facing). I have elbows like a bulldog so its tough for me to get the full benefit from doing them with barbell front or behind. The machine is similar to doing dumbell shrugs in mechanics but way more effective. Plus, it allows me to get a good forward lean and really concentrate on the contraction and hold.

I also deadlift, trap bar deadlift and do high pulls though I'm thinking of replacing those with power cleans.

Gettingtoobigformydesmo
08-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Heavy upright rows front and behind the back. Nice holds at the top. Twice a week will blast them hard and booooom

Manny1983
08-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Heavy upright rows front and behind the back. Nice holds at the top. Twice a week will blast them hard and booooom

Behind the back upright rows??? I'm assuming you mean shrugs

Bruiser
08-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Deadlifts or Rack Pulls with a snatch grip always kills my traps. Deadlifts in general though will build overall trap growth better than any other exercise IMO.

Deadlifts is right man! I don't train traps directly and from heavy DL my traps are thick as fuck!

Vicious 13
08-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Do u guys do stiff legged dead lifts or conventional

Bruiser
08-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Do u guys do stiff legged dead lifts or conventional

I'm a powerlifter and pull sumo and conventional.

VonEric
08-20-2012, 12:19 PM
I do conventional and keep the range of motion on my back. I don't go so low that it engages my hamstrings.. now saying that sometimes I like to just change things up so I will do DLs on legs day and then I do stiff legs

Aryan
08-23-2012, 05:13 AM
I was proven appropriate form, you need to get you in place a little bit extend your legs and trim ahead just enough so the bar isn't in contact with your body then wave away seeking back to behind your hearing. World of distinction especially if you keep and press at the top.

rockholidae
08-23-2012, 11:23 AM
High pulls to lower/mid chest. If you have never done these before then expect to "feel it" the next day. Occasionally I use a standing calf raise for shrugs. This takes your arms out of the equation and you can great contraction out of the the upper traps.

TooSexy
09-16-2012, 05:48 PM
I never do shrugs behind my back. It feels very unatural for me and my ass gets in the way...lol. But my general rule of thumb for trap training is "go heavy". Traps respond well to high reps witjput the danger of overtraining, for me at least. I keep my chin down (to chest). I do this for better range of motion. I dont stop at any certain number of reps. I just shrug till I cant anymore. First set is always with 315lbs. (about 25 reps), then I bump it up to 405lbs, then 495lvs. and last set I shrug 585 for a few. Love traps. Oh! Seated dumbell shrugs are fun too :)

kazman68
09-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Close grip upright rows and shrugs, I like doing them on the 45 degree row machine. Stand in front and you can lean slightly against the pad and it keeps you nice and stable, + the grips on the handle good and secure.

10-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Moderate weight high reps

kazman68
10-05-2012, 12:34 AM
I forgot about the trap raise on the calf machine..that allows you to use a lot of weight and not worry about grip problems..I'm training at my local Y and believe it or not they don't have a standing calf machine. (

SisterSteel
10-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Snatch Pulls/ Snatch High Pulls, Power Cleans, and Conventional Deadlifts is all I do for my traps and they're not lacking whatsoever.

kazman68
10-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Snatch Pulls/ Snatch High Pulls, Power Cleans, and Conventional Deadlifts is all I do for my traps and they're not lacking whatsoever.

Heavy dead-lifts make almost everything grow..( I'm an ex pl)

SisterSteel
10-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Heavy dead-lifts make almost everything grow..( I'm an ex pl)

Nice.... and you're quite right. Heavy deads do make everything grow (traps included). It's a shame that most men don't see to do them.

kazman68
10-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Nice.... and you're quite right. Heavy deads do make everything grow (traps included). It's a shame that most men don't see to do them.

Because there hard! Same reason joker's don't do squats.

SisterSteel
10-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Because there hard! Same reason joker's don't do squats.

Nothing more disgusting than a man who doesn't squat. They look like at any moment a breeze could tip them over, lol.

kazman68
10-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Nothing more disgusting than a man who doesn't squat. They look like at any moment a breeze could tip them over, lol.

Again I agree with you..squats work so much of the body, and they make you mentally stronger, nothing like having 600 lbs on your back, after getting a hit of ammonia, a buddy screaming at you so loud you can hear him over your headphones( "One more!!!) I do miss that about pl the raw aggression it took. You have to ATTACK that bar, or face the consequences. I already like you Sister...you have a good head on those nice traps. :)

Dath
11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
I've always done heavy weighted BB shrugs and had some success....
But about 6-7 wks ago I began high reps with DB's
3 sets 75+reps with 75lbs DB's and the stimulation has been great producing new growth rapidly as of late.

Vicious 13
11-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Pinch a sheet of drywall with ur fingers and palms lift it up off the board cart about 80 times a day

Dath
11-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Pinch a sheet of drywall with ur fingers and palms lift it up off the board cart about 80 times a day

Gotta be great on the forearms as well huh Vicious?
Rocked a couple houses in my time... it's not easy work, Still in the trades as well.

Vicious 13
11-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Bro I just started abombs and man my forearms when screwing off I've never been pumped like that... It's hard work but I enjoy it for the most part my shoulders and back get
Gnarly from the repetitive movements all day

SisterSteel
11-02-2012, 09:34 PM
For those of you who do shrugs, try them like this.... Put your chin on your chest when you perform them and and squeeze at the top. Putting your chin on your chest increases the ROM and it will really blast your traps.

kazman68
11-02-2012, 11:44 PM
For those of you who do shrugs, try them like this.... Put your chin on your chest when you perform them and and squeeze at the top. Putting your chin on your chest increases the ROM and it will really blast your traps.

Agreed, I have been doing them on the 45 degree row, stand and the pad keeps you in place, love the grip handles, seems to be working great. Also don't have to worry about the bar rubbing into your junk.

NitroTech
11-06-2012, 02:38 PM
What frequency are people hittin their traps with? Some say the muscle is similar to your forearms/calves and can be worked more often than say once a week.

Vicious 13
11-06-2012, 02:47 PM
I work them everyday at work but in the gym I'll go twice a week depending on the week

AsapMitch
05-09-2013, 06:13 PM
I just started doing behind the back upright rows highly recommend them to any who want to feel there traps on fire ! Lee Haney said that this was the only trap exercise he performed for his traps. Here's a link on how to perform it guys !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDW0GtismGM

zedhed
05-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Dam! you can see the diff from before and after he did that one set. A new lift to learn.
He sure got the pump from that one set pretty dam fast!
Thanks for the vid bro.

AsapMitch
05-10-2013, 01:43 PM
no prob man !always fun to share knowledge !

NTL
05-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Definitely going to try these.

Orange24
05-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Did these today. Great contraction. Definitely effective

kazman68
05-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Always saw Haney with a barbell behind his back when doing traps, I've done behind the back shrugs and assumed that was what he was doing...I have been doing this 20+ yrs and still learning, I'm going to give these a try on Thursday. Thanks for posting!

Mattingly
05-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Will definitely be trying these! I struggled trying to do behind the back shrugs. I am in my power rack, not a Smith Machine, and can't get that lean to get my giant ass out of the friggin way!

Ironguruera
05-11-2013, 08:51 PM
I start off doing a more conventional behind the back shrug chin down in the smith machine. As I fatigue I do something more like these in the video above.

My traps blew up with this regime! I've had a few buddies ask me how often I train them and what I do.

I tell them this is all I do like 3 times a month lol.

Hands down best trap move there is IMHO is behind the back in smith with these "upright rows".

I always see guys shrugging 8-10 plates with straps or heavy db's. rarely do they have traps worth a shit.

It's all about that contraction at the top.

kazman68
05-11-2013, 09:13 PM
I start off doing a more conventional behind the back shrug chin down in the smith machine. As I fatigue I do something more like these in the video above.

My traps blew up with this regime! I've had a few buddies ask me how often I train them and what I do.

I tell them this is all I do like 3 times a month lol.

Hands down best trap move there is IMHO is behind the back in smith with these "upright rows".

I always see guys shrugging 8-10 plates with straps or heavy db's. rarely do they have traps worth a shit.

It's all about that contraction at the top.

True, I have seen guys try and shrug 4-5 plates and look there having a seizure, there traps aren't even that impressive, I know a guy who tore his bicep doing that..or guys who have very uneven traps from side to side.

mj_0360
05-12-2013, 12:33 AM
My left trap is bigger than my right but its from my job I swear.

Ironguruera
05-12-2013, 01:42 AM
^^^ I'm sure it is bro! Those trays are heavy. If fucking make a mess on ppl doing that shit lol.
That's a skill IMHO !

mj_0360
05-12-2013, 05:25 AM
Ha ha thanks! My left trap is so much bigger from the trays, it used to look funny. lol

zedhed
01-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Just re-visited this thread today. Ive been doing conventional shrugs in front of the bod. I use straps and that has been messing up my thumb joint on my left hand. I guess the strap on that side puts too much pressure on the tendon for some reason. Glad that I saw this again gonna begin doing these instead of the conventional shrugs. Will post back in a couple of weeks and let you all know my progress. :cool:

zedhed
01-18-2014, 01:47 AM
Ok did the behind the back rows today and I def like them! Im gonna have to learn how to keep my ass out of the way with less arch in my back tho as this could potentially be a problem. Much better on the wrists not using the straps and having the thumb joint issue that comes with them.(at least for me).

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk 2

Ironguruera
01-18-2014, 02:56 AM
Good deal zed. I find if I bend the elbows the last half up the move I get a great contraction. It is truly an abbreviated behind the back upright row when u get it down. Works so much better then any other shrugs I've ever tried!

zedhed
01-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Yeah after the set I did last night I like it a lot. No thumb joint pain!

zedhed
01-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Still really like these but...how do you get the bar over your azz? Do you kinda throw the weight away from you or do you arch your back inward, sway back?

mj_0360
01-26-2014, 12:29 PM
I was doing behind tne back rows w the smith machine but I feel like a pussy using that damn thing. I guess it really doesn't matter what others think bit I make fun of people who use the smith machine.

Ironguruera
01-31-2014, 08:55 PM
Trust me u look like way more of clown using huge DB or massive bar shrugs with no traps in sight!

zedhed
02-01-2014, 02:54 AM
Gotta tell yall this has done wonders for my traps in just a week or 2. I def will continue with them.

zedhed
02-03-2014, 02:17 PM
The hardest thing for me to remember is to do the shrug first and not to just do a behind the back row.

Ironguruera
02-03-2014, 02:26 PM
The hardest thing for me to remember is to do the shrug first and not to just do a behind the back row.

It is almost 2 moves in 1. Honesty I didn't realize I was doing the upright row part until I saw a video someone posted on here and watched myself doing it closer.

zedhed
02-03-2014, 03:53 PM
Yeah I was kinda thinking that myself, watching how the muscles work in the mirror. So I guess it really dosnt matter if you do the shrug at the beginning or at the end for the squeeze.

#1Ronin
02-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Wow! Can really see the pumps in his lats after a few reps!

#1 Ronin.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zedhed
02-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Welcome aboard Ronin. Hope to see you posting up on here.