PDA

View Full Version : Best Moves

htownjoe
08-14-2012, 08:27 PM
A little about me. I am 41 and recently realized that my window for getting back into shape is closing rapidly. I am about to finish up Insanity and want to get back into lifting. I lifted A LOT whan I was younger, but at that time I had no worries about diet or anything else because it just came naturally. Fast Forward 15 years and I know I can't just walk in the Gym and expect to pick up where I left off. I would like to get opinions on the best major muscle lifts for each body part that will add strength and muscle the quickest. Also, I still have bodyfat I want to lose, so if you have any advice on how to gain muscle, get stronger and lose fat at the same time that would awesome.

Lunchbox
08-14-2012, 08:41 PM
A little about me. I am 41 and recently realized that my window for getting back into shape is closing rapidly. I am about to finish up Insanity and want to get back into lifting. I lifted A LOT whan I was younger, but at that time I had no worries about diet or anything else because it just came naturally. Fast Forward 15 years and I know I can't just walk in the Gym and expect to pick up where I left off. I would like to get opinions on the best major muscle lifts for each body part that will add strength and muscle the quickest. Also, I still have bodyfat I want to lose, so if you have any advice on how to gain muscle, get stronger and lose fat at the same time that would awesome.

Best thing I ever did was hire a nutritionist. Set me up with a plan that was ever changing and really worked with me on my path of lifestyle change. Best money I ever spent. This board has a nutritionist that is a sponsor. Check put his banner on the main page. "Alpine"

He is not who I have used but comes extremely recommended.

As far as lifting... Get on the machines and start off easy peasy. Let your body get used to the motions and build up your joint strength. No reason to get all willy
nilly and injure yourself.

Good luck in your adventure. I am sure more of the guys will chime in soon.

Lunchbox

Bruiser
08-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Bench, OHP, squat and deadlift. Focus on those big compound movements and you will put on size and strength fast.

Manny1983
08-14-2012, 08:51 PM
The way I got back into the swing of things was doing almost nothing but compound movements for the first month which I what I would recommend. Also as Lunchbox said get a nutritionist, I had the 1st 3 months.

So thats bench, squat, deadlifts lat pull downs unless you can do chinups, either tbar row or bent over barbell rows, all that along with cardio and Ab work.

Terpvtx
08-15-2012, 05:38 AM
Losing fat is all about your diet. As for a workout program to add size and strength to someone who is just getting back into lifting, I would suggest a 5x5 program like Starting Strength. Google it and you should easily come across several templates for this program. You will lift 3 days a week. You can add cardio in on your off days if you like, but don't overdo it to start or you may have a difficult time recovering and quickly become discouraged.

zedhed
08-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Hey joe these guyz have you very well covered. Follow what they say and you will be golden in no time.
Good luck bro.

Oldschooliron
08-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Best thing I ever did was hire a nutritionist. Set me up with a plan that was ever changing and really worked with me on my path of lifestyle change. Best money I ever spent. This board has a nutritionist that is a sponsor. Check put his banner on the main page. "Alpine"

He is not who I have used but comes extremely recommended.

As far as lifting... Get on the machines and start off easy peasy. Let your body get used to the motions and build up your joint strength. No reason to get all willy
nilly and injure yourself.

Good luck in your adventure. I am sure more of the guys will chime in soon.

Lunchbox

Agreed! Great post. Take it easy at 1st. Then start with some simple lifts. Then progress from there.

htownjoe
08-16-2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I am about to start putting it to good use. I am definately going to look into the 5x5 training because I have seen several posts about it on here.

red crayon
09-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Wow these guys have the work out part down. Cardio? There are lots of ways to do it. The main thing when getting back to it or begining is to do it. Start with what you can do and try to improve as you can. I usually do an hours worth on a tred mill. In an hour I can usually go about 3 miles. I would start out jogging and walking for about 30 minutes, record the distance and next week try to do better. I would start with 3 sessions a week Monday Wednesday and Friday or something like that. Some people do thier cardio right after thier weight lifting session. If your lifting natural thats a good way to bring your weight lifting gains to an abrupt halt. I always try and put at least 2 hours between my cardio and lifting sessions. I hope this helps.

zedhed
09-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Hey bro 5x5 is excellent and its tried and true. BUT you need to be a little bit seasoned to be doing that. It turns out to be very stressful to your joints. Now Im not telling you this to scare you away but so that you know that you need to be ready for it.

The way you get ready for the 5x5 is to do a few months of higher rep (12-15 reps) training with all compound excersizes. This will get your connective tissues ready for the heavier work that will come with that 5x5.

Hell if you wanted to you could use the SL 5x5 workout but just up the reps from 5 to 12 and of course use light weights.
When you get on the 5x5 the cardio is gone. This is cuz the cardio on a 5x5 program is gonna be counter productive. So what this means is get yourself in good cardio shape now as this will benefit you very much.
Good luck bro.