PDA

View Full Version : Arm wrestling and/or powerlifting?

Bruiser
08-20-2012, 12:11 PM
I started training for my first powerlifting meet last Sept/Oct. It was supposed to be this past May. But at the end of April I ended up in the hospital with pancreatitis and ulcerative colitis. In and out of the hospital for two month for a total of 5 weeks in three different hospitals, I ended up losing over 60 lbs and a lot of my strength gains I had fought so hard to earn. Now on the mend, I was looking for something to keep my competitive edge while getting my strength back so I could do a meet next year. My wife's cousin is an arm wrestler (along with some others I know) and decided that would be a great outlet for me and I could really strengthen my grip for deadliest at the same time.

So I did one tournament (failed miserably but had a great time) and started training with an arm wrestling crew at a gym in IL. I was absolutely loving it.

But now here's the problem. I've decided I might be done with it. I found out Saturday that Byron (the owner of the gym I was training at) broke is arm last week in a tournament! That's two of the 5-6 people I know who arm wrestle (my wife's cousin also) that have broke their arm (spiral fracture to the upper arm). Then Bull told me that afterwards, over a dozen people told him that they've had it happen too! Wtf?! Although I love arm wrestling, I don't know if I wanna risk it. That would set me back in my PL goals by months if not a year! And with just getting my strength back after the 5 week hospital stay for the pancreatitis that almost killed me... I've decided I'm tired of "battling back". I need to stay healthy instead. This is a hard decision, but one that I think I need to make....

Manny1983
08-20-2012, 12:44 PM
I found the guy that beat you, want his address? Lol

That's crazy stuff though breaking your arm in competition.

Lunchbox
08-20-2012, 12:58 PM
The force created between two people when are wrestling is tremendous.

Risk not worth the reward IMO.

Bruiser
08-20-2012, 01:11 PM
I found the guy that beat you, want his address? Lol

That's crazy stuff though breaking your arm in competition.

Manny! You finally posted a current progress pic! Awesome! Lol

The force created between two people when are wrestling is tremendous.

Risk not worth the reward IMO.

Unfortunately, that's kinda what I'm thinking.

Manny1983
08-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Manny! You finally posted a current progress pic! Awesome! Lol

Unfortunately, that's kinda what I'm thinking.

I leaned out good huh? Like my outfit? My mommy picked it out lol

Bruiser
08-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Looks like a baby born when Where's Waldo fucked a corpse and then beat the afterbirth with a bat... Lol.

Manny1983
08-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Looks like a baby born when Where's Waldo fucked a corpse and then beat the afterbirth with a bat... Lol.

Lol, speaking of where Waldo did you ever see the fake movie trailer of where's Waldo? He's like a spy and kills people, I'll try and find it it's hilarious

Oldschooliron
08-20-2012, 04:06 PM

Lmao!! U used that gw bottle didn't u??

hit up mike Arnold. He was mentioning arm wrestling. It's a dangerous ass sport IMHO. Mike was saying u can make good cash and get sponsors with it....who knew! He said its more lucrative then bb!

Lunchbox
08-20-2012, 04:06 PM

You sir... Have a sick imagination.

:)

Manny1983
08-20-2012, 04:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGMrc3ozMhs&sns=em

Bruiser
08-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Lmao!! U used that gw bottle didn't u??

hit up mike Arnold. He was mentioning arm wrestling. It's a dangerous ass sport IMHO. Mike was saying u can make good cash and get sponsors with it....who knew! He said its more lucrative then bb!

It is for sure! A lot easier to get sponsors because there are a lot fewer participants as compared to other strength sports. I really enjoy it but powerlifting is what gets me up in the morning.

Bruiser
08-20-2012, 04:15 PM
You sir... Have a sick imagination.

:)

It's from dealing with you fuckers all day! Lol