Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Truck please help

V.I.P.

Truck please help

Ok as some of u know I totaled my truck last weekend... Insurance decided it was a total loss and are going to cut a check for 10gs... Its an 05 dodge dakota v8 quad cab w 115000 miles.. Here's where I need your input my buddy says he can fix the truck for around 7 gs but it will always b a salvage title... Do u guys think I should fix the truck or take that money and look for an 04-07 silverado I've been looking on Craigslist and they r there for around that price what would u guys do also I'm not a mechanic if I chose to buy a used Chevy what do I look for so I'm not getting a lemon please help guys I need to make a decision and at this point I'm just really stressed out
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sherk
    Never own a vehicle with a salvage title. It's not worth the money you pay for insurance and they will give you just about nothing if something were to happen to the truck again because its worth nothing. If it were me I'd use that money to put down on a new or used truck off a lot. If its a used truck, which is the rout I'd go, you can buy a silverado under $15000 and it would be certified with a warranty. Also your loan would be around $5000 and that would most likely put your payments under $200 a month. I had a similar situation and that's what I did. I had shitty credit at the time and my payments were $180 a month.

Re: Truck please help

If they are gonna give you 10g for a totaled 05 Dakota with 115000 miles take the money and run and get a newer truck with lower miles.

V.I.P.

It won't be worth 7g with a salvage title get a silver ado and part out the Dakota I bought an 01 Dakota 5 yrs ago with v8 quad can and salvage title And 90k miles for $2000.

Yep bad idea fixing it. You'd never sell it

Agree with all the above bro.
    Get the check and go Truck Hunting!

V.I.P.

Don't get a silverado. I have an 09 and have had hell with the stupid fly by wire throttle bs. If you do get a silverado get a lokar cable conversion. That's what I'm getting compared to my Dakota the silverado has no balls. The throttle servo and pedal assembly goes bad on these trucks.

V.I.P.
    Thanks I'm going to look into that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Get a duramax or a cummins don't get a gas engine bro. U should be able to pick 1 up in the year range your looking at for around the same price. They retain value much better, last longer, way better mpg

Quote Originally Posted by Manny1983 View Post
    Get a duramax or a cummins don't get a gas engine bro. U should be able to pick 1 up in the year range your looking at for around the same price. They retain value much better, last longer, way better mpg
    Yea but they also cost more and more to maintain