Thread: Carb Cycling

Carb Cycling

Okay I need a little help with this. I got a buddy that is cutting down and wants to carb cycle . he is not training for a athletics or training to maintain his lean muscle. his workout week is like this for example.

Monday: Bi's tri's
    Tuesday: Shoulders
    Wednesday: Chest
    Thursday: Legs, Cardio "hes wanting to cut cardio because som bb.com article said screw cardio for fat loss"
    Friday: Back.

now from my understanding carb cycling is more for keeping lean not cutting or for more of a athlete.

I think Keep daily carb amounts low and space them out for pre and post workout is better for cutting. What do you guys think?

Re: Carb Cycling

Well, first thing I would do is change his split completely. He can't effectively train legs and than back. You can squat and than pull the following day.

I would change his split to something like this:
    Mon: Chest
    Tue: Legs
    Wed: Arms
    Thurs: Shoulders
    Fri: Back

That would give him sufficient time for the body to recover from hard training sessions.

You can cut, maintain, and bulk using rotations. It is not just for keeping lean. Rotations help keep you fuller and allow you to push your training while dieting. This is the rotation I would use for the above schedule:

Mon: Med
    Tues: High
    Wed: Low
    Thurs: Med
    Fri: High
    Sat: Low
    Sun:: Low

He shouldn't do cardio on High Days. He can do them on Med and should do them on Low Days. Now this is just a starting point. He may need to adjust things.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterSteel View Post
    Well, first thing I would do is change his split completely. He can't effectively train legs and than back. You can squat and than pull the following day.

I would change his split to something like this:
    Mon: Chest
    Tue: Legs
    Wed: Arms
    Thurs: Shoulders
    Fri: Back

That would give him sufficient time for the body to recover from hard training sessions.

You can cut, maintain, and bulk using rotations. It is not just for keeping lean. Rotations help keep you fuller and allow you to push your training while dieting. This is the rotation I would use for the above schedule:

Mon: Med
    Tues: High
    Wed: Low
    Thurs: Med
    Fri: High
    Sat: Low
    Sun:: Low

He shouldn't do cardio on High Days. He can do them on Med and should do them on Low Days. Now this is just a starting point. He may need to adjust things.
    Thanks I will pass the info on

Quote Originally Posted by Frustratez View Post
    Thanks I will pass the info on
    Something else I forgot to mention. When the carbs are high, the protein is low, and you don't add any additional fats. When the carbs are low, the protein is high and so is fat.

That's why I call it a rotation. You rotate things. I don't like to call it carb cycling b/c I like to adjust more than just carbs.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterSteel View Post
    Something else I forgot to mention. When the carbs are high, the protein is low, and you don't add any additional fats. When the carbs are low, the protein is high and so is fat.

That's why I call it a rotation. You rotate things. I don't like to call it carb cycling b/c I like to adjust more than just carbs.
    so you think this is more effective than low carbs all together? hes 18% bf I might add and a hard cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Frustratez View Post
    so you think this is more effective than low carbs all together? hes 18% bf I might add and a hard cutter.
    Yes, I do think it's better than just low carbs. How's he eating currently?