Thread: Insulin receptor supplements- ALA and cinnamon

Insulin receptor supplements- ALA and cinnamon

Has anyone tried cinnamon? It seems that cinnamon inhibits the process that deactivates the insulin receptor (I presume when glycogen reserves are full). Or has anyone tried alpha lipoic acid? It seems ALA directly activates the insulin receptor.

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB...oduktNr=225963
    Abstract:
    Bioactive compound(s) extracted from cinnamon potentiate insulin activity, as measured by glucose oxidation in the rat epididymal fat cell assay. Wortmannin, a potent PI 3′-kinase inhibitor, decreases the biological response to insulin and bioactive compound(s) from cinnamon similarly, indicating that cinnamon is affecting an element(s) upstream of PI 3′-kinase. Enzyme studies done in vitro show that the bioactive compound(s) can stimulate autophosphorylation of a truncated form of the insulin receptor and can inhibit PTP-1, a rat homolog of a tyrosine phosphatase (PTP-1B) that inactivates the insulin receptor. No inhibition was found with alkaline phosphate or calcineurin suggesting that the active material is not a general phosphatase inhibitor. It is suggested, then, that a cinnamon compound(s), like insulin, affects protein phosphorylation-dephosphorylation reactions in the intact adipocyte. Bioactive cinnamon compounds may find further use in studies of insulin resistance in adult-onset diabetes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17274632
    Abstract
    Alpha-lipoic acid has cytoprotective potential which has previously been explained by its antioxidant properties. The aim of this study was to assess LA-induced-specific cytoprotective signalling pathways in hepatocytes.
    RESULTS:
    Alpha-lipoic acid decreased actinomycinD/TNF-alpha-induced apoptosis, as did the antioxidants Trolox and N-acetylcysteine. The activation of PI3-kinase/Akt involving phosphorlyation of Bad markedly contributed to the cytoprotective action of alpha-lipoic acid. Alpha-lipoic acid but not other antioxidants protected against actinomycinD/TNF-alpha-induced apoptosis via phosphorylation of the insulin receptor. Computer modeling studies revealed a direct binding site for alpha-lipoic acid at the tyrosine kinase domain of the insulin receptor, suggesting a stabilizing function in loop A that is involved in ATP binding. Treatment of immunoprecipitated insulin receptor with LA induced substrate phosphorylation.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    Alpha-lipoic acid mediates its antiapoptotic action via activation of the insulin receptor/PI3-kinase/Akt pathway. We show for the first time a direct binding site for alpha-lipoic acid at the insulin receptor tyrosine kinase domain, which might make alpha-lipoic acid a model substance for the development of insulin mimetics.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350923569.498723.jpg

I don't know how much one must consume but I'm kind of addicted to Saigon cinnamon lol.
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

Re: Insulin receptor supplements- ALA and cinnamon

I used to put cinnamon in my oatmeal..after hearing the same thing..don't know if it helped but it tasted damn good.

I would think in the long run the body's feedback loops will negate the long term effect of these supplements if used without planning. I think their use comes in strategic times. I would use cinnamon, not right after a workout (insulin receptors will be out in mass), and not the next meal, but the 2nd meal in order to sustain insulin binding to the receptors. IIRC once an insulin receptor is bound by insulin, it inactivates the receptor (yet the glut4 glucose transporter and protein synthesis remain active). I seem to remember the internal cell activity being a couple of hours before the insulin receptor reemerges, but I don't recall exactly. I will try and do some research on this

I work out at 3pm, my strategy is to take a PWO shake w/dextrose to spike insulin, then eat an hour later (normal meal), then the 2nd meal is mostly normal but higher in sugar to reactivate the insulin receptors as I'm hoping they're coming out of their "cocoons" so to say. This is where I take the cinnamon and ALA.

V.I.P.

I put cinnamon on my oatmeal as well. I also use ALA. I am on a variation of a carb cycle diet where I have one carb refeed day. I take ALA with each of my meals during my refeed day. The diet has been working well for me, although I can't really tell you how effective the ALA is as I have been using it since I started this diet. When my current bottle of ALA runs out, then I think I will take a break from the ALA and see if I notice a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kazman68 View Post
    I used to put cinnamon in my oatmeal..after hearing the same thing..don't know if it helped but it tasted damn good.
    That's why I like it lol! The Saigon version is amazing. If u don't mix up the oatmeal once u sprinkle it on and kind of eat through the cinnamon layer.....the Saigon style has some spice to it. Freaking amazing!

I eat my oatmeal raw now so I don't get the spicy flair anymore.
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

I like to run a 4-6 hour fast each day, and I use the ALA to kick it off. Helps lower my blood sugar and in conjunction with MCT oil, it helps elevate energy expenditure and increase fat oxidation. Not full on ketosis, but some sort of hybrid I'm hoping.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/3/329.long
    Human studies have mainly compared the effects of MCT vs. LCT in single-meal or single-day experiments. Scalfi et al. (3) evaluated the effects of a single mixed meal containing MCT on postprandial thermogenesis and examined possible differences in the thermic response between lean and obese men. Subjects consumed a meal containing 15% of energy from protein, 55% from carbohydrate and 30% from fat, in the form of corn oil (CO) and animal fat or MCT oil (56% octanoate, 40% decanoate) in random order. Energy expenditure measurements were conducted before and for 6 h after consumption of the meal. Total EE was 48 and 65% greater in lean and obese individuals, respectively, after MCT compared with LCT consumption. Similar results were obtained by Seaton et al. (4) comparing the effects of MCT or CO on EE after a single meal. Energy expenditure peaked at 16% above baseline after MCT consumption compared with 5% for CO.

Dulloo et al. (5) investigated the thermogenic effects of low-to-moderate amounts of MCT consumption in healthy adult men. Subjects were required to spend 24 h in a respiratory chamber on four separate occasions; during that time, diets differed in the ratio of MCT:LCT (0:30, 5:25, 15:15, 30:0) provided as added fat. The diet was given at a level 1.4 times energy requirements and the 30 g of added fat was distributed evenly across all meals. The authors found that EE between 0800 and 2300 h increased by 45, 135 and 265 kJ with 5, 15 and 30 g of MCT in the diet, respectively. Mean 24-h EE also increased by 162 and 475 kJ with 15 and 30 g of MCT in added fat, respectively. Thus, the greater effects of MCT than LCT on EE are evident not only in the few hours after the meal but for a much longer time.

I added a 'starchy' carb meal pwo. 1 can tuna/9 egg whites+1 whole egg/1 cup old fashioned oatmeal/1 apple/cinnamon/ I chop up the apple very finely and add it to the oats add cinnamon and cook. Apple & cinnamon oats..yumm, oatmeal is one of my favorite bodybuilding/carb foods.