Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listening to the body

Listening to the body

So this week it's been really hard to get going. Did a big leg day on Saturday and it took days to get back to normal. Had a decent chest day on Monday, then I've just not been motivated mostly from soreness and feeling tired. Usually I can blast through. It's been a while since I had a de-load, so I'm wondering if I just need to cool it for a while and let the body rest so I can start fresh. Maybe just finish out the week with some cardio and light sets. Planning to start a test/eq/provi cycle in the next couple weeks and I don't want to go into it not 100%. Anyone else ever feel this way? Besides at 56 it's different, even on TRT.

Yes bro completely. I have just taken off three weeks as my body just fatigued out as well mentally tired. It was extremely tough deciding to take a break but my body and mind needed it. Going to hit it hard again next week.
    When I die I want to be called a friend or family member by everyone I came into contact with!!!

Re: Listening to the body

Quote Originally Posted by chrisotpherm View Post
    Yes bro completely. I have just taken off three weeks as my body just fatigued out as well mentally tired. It was extremely tough deciding to take a break but my body and mind needed it. Going to hit it hard again next week.
    X2 at 44 I'm finally learning to listen, if body says 'slow down' I do so.

When the body says rest, rest. No one here is a beginner.

Very true. Heck I have been in the middle as well as toward the end of a cycle and had to take off. It takes a lot to suck down your pride and do what the body needs.
    When I die I want to be called a friend or family member by everyone I came into contact with!!!

What I do when I'm feeling overtrained (especially if it's near the time I'm starting a blast cycle) is this and it's worked amazing:

1. completely stop lifting for a week
    2. gorge myself on anything I can fit in my mouth (I'm talking fast food, buffets, sweets, anything! This is when your body can use the extra fat and calories)
    3. double or triple my multi-vitamin/mineral intake
    4. double or triple my BCAA and glutamine intake
    5. sleep as much as possible that week too
    6. lay off all stims including caffeine
    7. do a lot of stretching and foam rolling

This will help your body recover properly, "reset" your CNS and prepare your body for the cycle and heavy training to come.

Hey bro take the deload or even better just stop for awhile. The Bruiser put up a dam good set of ideas on it too IMO.
    Good luck bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    What I do when I'm feeling overtrained (especially if it's near the time I'm starting a blast cycle) is this and it's worked amazing:

1. completely stop lifting for a week
    2. gorge myself on anything I can fit in my mouth (I'm talking fast food, buffets, sweets, anything! This is when your body can use the extra fat and calories)
    3. double or triple my multi-vitamin/mineral intake
    4. double or triple my BCAA and glutamine intake
    5. sleep as much as possible that week too
    6. lay off all stims including caffeine
    7. do a lot of stretching and foam rolling

This will help your body recover properly, "reset" your CNS and prepare your body for the cycle and heavy training to come.
    ^^^^
    Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by neoclassical View Post
    ^^^^
    Thanks for sharing.
    No problem. A lot of guys forget that the most important part of building strength and size is rest and recovery. If you're worn out, your body can't rebuild. I know plenty of other powerlifters that eat nothing but fast food and junk, but take one week off every month from lifting and they have better physiques than a lot of bodybuilders! People over think everything. Lift big, eat big, and sleep.

Thanks bros. all good advice- it's such a head trip for me sometimes. The fear of loosing everything I've worked hard for in a week. Not rational I know. Got to remember that it's a marathon not a sprint. Now that I've had a few days off, I can feel the enthusiasm building again.