Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modified 5x5

V.I.P.

Modified 5x5

Anyone tried 5x5 except made it 5x12 or something similar for more size than strength.

Re: Modified 5x5

The thing is bro you need to remember that the typical 5x5 is more or less for the major movers (muscle groups) so if you are gonna up the reps like that then you will seriously need to reduce the weight.
    Or you might consider doing the 3x5 for your big lifts and adding in iso stuff on say Tue, Thur and Sat. I say 3x5 so that you can recover adequatly from those big lifts.
    This way I belive that you are getting excellent stimulation to your major muscle groups as well as getting in that direct work for size over strength.
    Of course I could be full of it too...LOL.

V.I.P.

Here was my thought start at 5x12 as you up the weights your reps will obviously lower once you get to a weight you can only do 5x5 with stay at that weight and slowly try to up your reps back to 5x12 then start upping weights again. Just a thought idk that's why I'm asking lol.

Quote Originally Posted by layddually View Post
    Here was my thought start at 5x12 as you up the weights your reps will obviously lower once you get to a weight you can only do 5x5 with stay at that weight and slowly try to up your reps back to 5x12 then start upping weights again. Just a thought idk that's why I'm asking lol.
    Interesting sounds legit tho

LOL bro thats pretty much how I start out the 5x5. The beginning weights are so light that I do roughly 5x12-15. Then I up the weights every week till I hit 5x5 and progress as normal from there.

V.I.P.

Just did it today wasn't bad I kinda liked it but I added a couple things lol

Bro its all about what works for you and what your plans are.

V.I.P.

That's the shitty part is I haven't found what works for me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by layddually View Post
    That's the shitty part is I haven't found what works for me yet.
    How long have you been training? How many programs have you tried? How long did you stick with each one? For the first eighteen months of training ANY program will work as long as you focus on progression from workout to workout. That means each workout will be an improvement in the workout prior whether its one more rep or five more pounds on the bar. The strange rep system you describe does seem to embrace the principal of progression so I assume you have been using it.

V.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentYes View Post
    How long have you been training? How many programs have you tried? How long did you stick with each one? For the first eighteen months of training ANY program will work as long as you focus on progression from workout to workout. That means each workout will be an improvement in the workout prior whether its one more rep or five more pounds on the bar. The strange rep system you describe does seem to embrace the principal of progression so I assume you have been using it.
    Training off and on last 24 yrs lol I started trying to train when I was about 10. But got back into it seriously about 4 yrs ago. I stick with a program for about 2 months if I don't feel I'm getting any results I will either modify or completely change it. I was using a trainer for the last month and half but because of this god awful exhaustion I have had I cant wake up early enough to keep going to that gym.