Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How far do you drive....

When I started out and wanted to compete you pretty much had to be at this one gym and it was 35 miles away. It was an exclusive gym and had to be on the "in" to train there. I found out later why. That's where all the drugs were. I was 18 and at a ( of all things a car expo) Tom Platz and Rachael Mclish were there( Kaz u remember them) the owner of the gym put on a small BB show at the expo. I approached him and ask about joining his gym. He said NO! Rachael was standing there and said " this guy has potential" so he said "come see me Monday"this story probably means nothing to you young guys but anyone old enuff to remember Platz and Rachael can appreciate it I hope. The rest is history.

V.I.P.

Re: How far do you drive....

OMG I loved Rachel back in the day!! I have to see if I can find any recent shots of her now that I think about it. Curious what she looks like now.

Ltyson

Platz's legs are legendary. I still don't think anyone has had a better set of wheels in the bodybuilding industry.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterSteel View Post
    Platz's legs are legendary. I still don't think anyone has had a better set of wheels in the bodybuilding industry.
    Here's what's funny. I couldn't wait to meet him(and her) now I'm 18 yrs old. I see my dad waving and he's talking to these 2 little short people. I walk up and Dad said "this is Tom Platz" I dwarfed him in size. I weighed 225 about and here was my idol standing 5'3 maybe. I expected him to be a monster! Well I soon learned that some of the best BB in the world are short and look small in clothes. Anyway it was my first brush with BB fame!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fit Guru View Post
    When I started out and wanted to compete you pretty much had to be at this one gym and it was 35 miles away. It was an exclusive gym and had to be on the "in" to train there. I found out later why. That's where all the drugs were. I was 18 and at a ( of all things a car expo) Tom Platz and Rachael Mclish were there( Kaz u remember them) the owner of the gym put on a small BB show at the expo. I approached him and ask about joining his gym. He said NO! Rachael was standing there and said " this guy has potential" so he said "come see me Monday"this story probably means nothing to you young guys but anyone old enuff to remember Platz and Rachael can appreciate it I hope. The rest is history.
    Sure do, and I know what you mean, I was lucky and got into a hard-core gym early, It was Pacifico's gym, lots of big strong dudes, I was like a fly on a wall, sucking up every bit of information I could..remember how hungry you were back then? I couldn't wait to get to the gym, the smell, the sounds, the people, I felt like I 'fit' in right away, I couldn't stand to miss a day, Between studying and having good mentors, I have been fortunate to gain a wealth of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by kazman68 View Post
    Sure do, and I know what you mean, I was lucky and got into a hard-core gym early, It was Pacifico's gym, lots of big strong dudes, I was like a fly on a wall, sucking up every bit of information I could..remember how hungry you were back then? I couldn't wait to get to the gym, the smell, the sounds, the people, I felt like I 'fit' in right away, I couldn't stand to miss a day, Between studying and having good mentors, I have been fortunate to gain a wealth of knowledge.
    It's unfortunate that those gyms are so hard to come by these days. Now, we're inundated with metro sexual bullshit gyms where you can't make any noise, use chalk, let the bar touch the floor, etc. Instead you should play on some bullshit machine and not even work.

What happened to the days when chalk filled the air, the music was insanely loud, and rust on a piece of equipment was the norm. Where your measure of worth was how much the bar frowned when it was on your back.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterSteel View Post
    It's unfortunate that those gyms are so hard to come by these days. Now, we're inundated with metro sexual bullshit gyms where you can't make any noise, use chalk, let the bar touch the floor, etc. Instead you should play on some bullshit machine and not even work.

What happened to the days when chalk filled the air, the music was insanely loud, and rust on a piece of equipment was the norm. Where your measure of worth was how much the bar frowned when it was on your back.

I should have said big strong dudes AND ladies, there were some good women bodybuilders/powerlifters, and your so right, everyone squatted, Larry had chalk bins out, deadlift platform, bumper plates, 100# plates, 200# dumbbells etc..all the things YOU NEED. Now 'gyms' are more of pick up joints, no grunting,chalk or heavy lifting, next they will outlaw sweating...

used to go to Powerhouse just 2 towns over.. then they opened a Power house in my home city closer than the nears Dunkin Doughnuts...and in New England that is a statement ..Signed up immediately .. in however shortly there after powerhouse franchise rates went through the roof from what I was told.. and
    both dropped the name and have their own name now...

It is hard to find one of those hardcore gyms... Gyms these days want you to sign up , and do the treadmill if you have to show up... or better would be you don't ..

Quote Originally Posted by kazman68 View Post
    no grunting,...
    hear about the guy arrested at planet fitness for disturbing the peace
    http://www.fitcommerce.com/Blueprint...276&portalId=2

V.I.P.
    Lol I like the video where the guy freaks out and starts throwing stuff
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]