Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Career change

V.I.P.

Career change

I've been out of work for over a month and I'm really starting to get depressed...what r some good well paying jobs. I like what I do but the time off kills me... I used to enjoy a month or two break but lately bad habits have been coming back and I find myself getting into trouble... Any advice guys?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You like customer service or more labor intensive work?

You ever think about going back to school? I've got a masters degree but am going back to become an RN (no homo). My wife is an RN, makes bout 80000, works 3 days a week and has 5 weeks of paid vacation a year. I know RNs that make 120000 too.
    Or any other medical profession is good- X-ray tech, respiratory therapist, cardiovascular technician. All good pay, benefits and job security and not a terrible amount of schooling.
    Credentials:
    Masters Degree-Exercise Physiology
    Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist-ACSM

^^100% correct. Excellent advice. Also depends on where you live and job availability... but great advice.

V.I.P.
    My wife and I were talking about that yesterday ex. I said RN but she made some good points about having a weak stomach,and things I might not like doing. But she mentioned X-ray tech. That would be a pretty cool job I think. I might see some gnarly breaks but I'm sure I'd live. Do you know if they get paid pretty well? Or what would it take to get into that, and how long do U think?
    Last edited by Vicious 13; 12-30-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

V.I.P.
    O and I live in so cal about 45 miles from downtown la. I'm a carpenter now so most of my work is in la, Santa Monica, and out that way pretty much. So I'm used to driving.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well school is an option......I just changed careers and took a job at a steel mill.....65k to start and it is a booming industry.....if you've got one around look into it......I pretty much drive around a forklift and do some other manual stiff to but it sure isn't that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious 13 View Post
    My wife and I were talking about that yesterday ex. I said RN but she made some good points about having a weak stomach,and things I might not like doing. But she mentioned X-ray tech. That would be a pretty cool job I think. I might see some gnarly breaks but I'm sure I'd live. Do you know if they get paid pretty well? Or what would it take to get into that, and how long do U think?
    X-ray techs do well, RNs just have unlimited options. There are many RN jobs that d t require you to do gross things too.
    If you're in SoCal you have tons of options.
    Credentials:

Re: Career change

my brother in law became an RN after 10 years working in insurance... I have a lot of respect to do that at his age.. but just to let you know it is tough getting into a good school.. and expensive..
    my niece went to school and the estimate is 20K a year

Re: Career change

Quote Originally Posted by xdude View Post
    my brother in law became an RN after 10 years working in insurance... I have a lot of respect to do that at his age.. but just to let you know it is tough getting into a good school.. and expensive..
    my niece went to school and the estimate is 20K a year
    that's a ridiculous price. I'm going to a community college for about 6,000/year. Most schools just have waitlists and don't let you in based on merit. I've got a 2 year wait for my school.
    My wife went to a university and got an RN license and a nursing degree and doesn't make anymore than someone who just went to a community college and just got the RN license.
    Credentials: