Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Front Squats....

Front Squats....

Ok, I've seen a lot of talk lately about front squats and I've had some questions about them so I thought I'd make a thread to explain what I call Oly Front Squats.

Most perform the front squat with their arms crossed. Now, you can perform front squats this way but it's not a mechanically sound way to do it. Truthfully, I believe your doomed to fail from the outset if you perform front squats this way. Let's see why..... What happens when the weight gets heavy? Your elbows begin to drop, which pulls you forward, lower back loses it's arch, chest drops, upper back rounds, and all this causes you to dump the bar out in front of you.

I'm sure you're asking yourself now, well how the hell should I perform a front squat if not with crossed arms? Easily.... you'll use what I call the Oly style (clean grip). The Olympic style is where you grip the bar with both hands (but not crossed). You'll keep your elbows high, chest up, arch in your lower back, and keep your feet shoulder width or closer. You'll rack the bar on your clavicles. There is a fine line with the rack position. Rack to far back and you literally choke yourself (I've seen people pass out because the bar actually caused a blunt choke) and possibly pass out with the weight on you. Rack it to far out in front and it will begin to pull your elbows down possibly causing you to dump the weight.

Now, I know you have another question for me... You're thinking, my wrists aren't that flexible. That's ok b/c I have a variation that I was also shown back in my Olympic weightlifting days. With this variation you'll use wrist straps. You'll wrap the straps to the bar and take hold of the straps. This allows you to keep the bar on your clavicles while having non flexible wrists. You'll still keep your chest high, back arched, and elbows up. Here's a vid of the variation.

Hopefully, this sheds some light on how to perform front squats.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Good post Sis.. thats how i do them but i recommend using some wrist straps. Not on your wrists but loop then through the bar like you would your wrists. Then use the long part of the strap to hold on to. This helps stabalize the bar and as you pull up on the strap keeps you straight.

Great post sis and covered all the questions !
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

Re: Front Squats....

Glad everyone liked it. One thing to also note, I'm not saying to ditch back squats. Quite the contrary, I perform both and both are staples in my leg training. I think both are equally important. You just need to know how to perform them properly to get the most out of them.

Performing front squats like I've talked about will not only create a outer sweep for your quads, strengthen your abs, and lower back it will also have a good amount of carry over to your conventional deadlifts. If your front squats go up, so will your conventional deadlift.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

V.I.P.

I have to admit that I do them with crossed arms my palms faceing down. Im pretty sure that based on the videos and explaination that you shared that I need to make a change so Im working on it. Its hard but Ive never learned how to give up, I will get it. I cant dump the weight after the lift, none of the power racks that we have are built so that I can, Im getting to where I can do the lift properly anyway. I have to work with the equipment I have available. Thanks for the help!

Good post Sister!

Quote Originally Posted by kazman68 View Post
    Good post Sister!
    Thanks. I think this will help a lot of our members.

V.I.P.

Your posts about the front squat has convinced me that I need to learn the proper way to do them and regularly do them! Thanks a lot! Do you have any other helpful info that you can share?

Yep I do em with the straps too. Much easier on my wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by red crayon View Post
    Your posts about the front squat has convinced me that I need to learn the proper way to do them and regularly do them! Thanks a lot! Do you have any other helpful info that you can share?
    You welcome.

I think I'll make a thread where people can ask questions about lifting and than we can all answer.