Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Front Squats....

Re: Front Squats....

Quote Originally Posted by Orange24 View Post
    Haha yes a little
    Than you probably did have it sitting back like you should. It'll just take some time to get used to the movement. This isn't an easy lift like a leg press.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Ya I want to get better. Seems like I can get a deeper squat this way but definitely rough getting used to it

V.I.P.

Well, I did front squats for the first time the other day. I did use the smith machine just because the movement was so awkward for me, I plan on just using the bar next time. I liked doing them I was just pretty weak, I wont say what pouindage I used lol

Sherk
    Quote Originally Posted by mj_0360 View Post
    Well, I did front squats for the first time the other day. I did use the smith machine just because the movement was so awkward for me, I plan on just using the bar next time. I liked doing them I was just pretty weak, I wont say what pouindage I used lol
    Proper form and movement is 1000x more important than the weight. Don't worry about how much you can or can't do at this point. Focus on the movement and where your hips are. No one cares how much you can or can't lift. The guys that do care how much someone else lifts are usually the ones that don't know what they're doing and look like ass clowns arching their back like a rainbow doing a press or doing bicep curls in the squat rack.

Quote Originally Posted by mj_0360 View Post
    Ditch the smith machine. 185lbs on a straight bar is more beneficial for you than 315lbs on a smith machine. The smith machine is the worst machine every invented. Makes the lift virtually worthless.

... And don't worry about the poundage. It doesn't matter if you start with just the bar. ANYONE and I repeat ANYONE can front squat 315lbs this way. I don't care if you're a woman or a man. I

So suck it up, work hard, and reap the benefits.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange24 View Post
    Ya I want to get better. Seems like I can get a deeper squat this way but definitely rough getting used to it
    It takes time but be patient. All good things come in time....

When I do front squats I have a hard time keeping my shins vertical when going real deep. It does help when I take off my shoes but I still feel my form is not what it should be. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by SisterSteel View Post
    Ditch the smith machine. 185lbs on a straight bar is more beneficial for you than 315lbs on a smith machine. The smith machine is the worst machine every invented. Makes the lift virtually worthless.

... And don't worry about the poundage. It doesn't matter if you start with just the bar. ANYONE and I repeat ANYONE can front squat 315lbs this way. I don't care if you're a woman or a man. I

So suck it up, work hard, and reap the benefits.
    Suga I would argue this with you. IMO it is the Leg Extension machine that is the very worst of the worst machines. This has fucked more knees then any other workout machine known. The research is there time after time that this WILL fuck your knees all to hell. Its multiplied stress beneath the patella (a very small surface) that bears weight that is extended (therefore multiplied) out in front of the fulcrum. BAD NEWS!!!

The Front Squat will do 1000 times more (developmentally) for your quads then any amount of leg extensions will ever do. And the Front Squats will not ruin your knees.
    Last edited by zedhed; 01-06-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuelfan View Post
    When I do front squats I have a hard time keeping my shins vertical when going real deep. It does help when I take off my shoes but I still feel my form is not what it should be. Any suggestions?
    Practice with light weight or just the bar. Also check out Dr. Squat on form. Just google it.

Quote Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
    Suga I would argue this with you. IMO it is the Leg Extension machine that is the very worst of the worst machines. This has fucked more knees then any other workout machine known. The research is there time after time that this WILL fuck your knees all to hell. Its multiplied stress beneath the patella (a very small surface) that bears weight that is extended (therefore multiplied) out in front of the fulcrum. BAD NEWS!!!

The Front Squat will do 1000 times more (developmentally) for your quads then any amount of leg extensions will ever do. And the Front Squats will not ruin your knees.
    You got me.

Leg extensions are TERRIBLE. I don't EVER use that machine. It did nothing but cause me a great deal of pain. If you look at my quads, you'd agree that they're pretty developed and ALL I do for mine is Olympic style front squats.