Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work that Booty

Work that Booty

You may or may not have heard me speak about an exercise called a "glute bridge". Well if you haven't, than listen up because this movement will make a world of difference for you if you want a nice ass (speaking to the women) and it'll help you get a bigger deadlift and squat (speaking to the men).

As everyone knows, a strong posterior chain is crucial in lifting heavy weights. What makes up the posterior chain? The calves, hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. Today, I'm going to talk about a lift that will work your glutes/hams.

So let's dive right in... This movement is so important because it puts direct work on the glute/hamstring region without allowing the lifter to use his/her upper body. Without the use of the core and upper body you have to utilize the hip extensors. When you perform this lift, you wan to fully contract your muscles at the top of the lift. You don't want to sacrifice form for weight with this movement. Be sure to perform each and every rep the same way. Also, keep this movement fluid and smooth to keep from sustaining an injury.

You begin with yourself on the floor and the bar right above your pelvis. This will be uncomfortable so you may want to put a pad on the bar. Bring your heels as close to your butt as you can get them. Use your hands to hold the bar in position. As the weight gets heavier, you may need to have someone standing behind you (to help keep you in place). Bridge the weight up using your hams and glutes. Than slowly lower it down in a controlled manner. Don't crash down with it.

Here's a vid to illustrate what it is I described...

DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Looks like that would work awesome! thanks for always including videos in these posts sister. Makes it so easy to see what u mean!

Great post as always.
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

Re: Work that Booty

Man that chick must be tiny. Ive done these and have a hell of a time getting under the oly bar and weights. Then I tried setting the bar/weights on blocks....didnt work so well. Lost ROM. And yes if your using any weight you will deff need a pad on that bar.

Yea I figured the pad is a must for any decent weight.
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironguruera View Post
    Looks like that would work awesome! thanks for always including videos in these posts sister. Makes it so easy to see what u mean!

Great post as always.
    You're welcome Ironguruera. I find it's always easier to understand what someone is saying if you include a video to visually show what's being explained.

Quote Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
    Man that chick must be tiny. Ive done these and have a hell of a time getting under the oly bar and weights. Then I tried setting the bar/weights on blocks....didnt work so well. Lost ROM. And yes if your using any weight you will deff need a pad on that bar.
    Try putting the bar on 45lbs plates. It will raise the bar for you a couple of inches(to give you more room to get under the bar) and still have a decent ROM to perform the lift.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

I damn sure need to incorporate these into my week somehow, cause my deadlift and squat are pathetic at best. Hell i can bench more than I squat.

Ecto Ecto Ecto.....

I'm trying to train my wife and oldest daughter and this is absolutely going to be incorporated into their workouts. Sister you got it figured out! Fantastic posts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ecto View Post
    I damn sure need to incorporate these into my week somehow, cause my deadlift and squat are pathetic at best. Hell i can bench more than I squat.
    I'd put this exercise in your leg day since it's a ham/glute movement.

I can help you with your squat but that's for another thread or PM's. There are many questions I'd ask you like are you sitting back when you squat, are you pushing your knees out, how wide is your stance, etc.

Is this hard on the lower back?