Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardio duration

Cardio duration

is it really necessary to run like hell on the treadmill and for at least 45 minutes or does this only applies to individuals over a certain amount of weight. every time I do cardio I loose weight too fast and I usually like to keep some of my weight any suggestions?

I lost over 150 pounds by diet, cardio and lifting. For cardio I never ever ran. Walked at a pace and incline which kept my HR between 135-145 for 45min to 1 hour a day. 5 days a week.
    Check Out "The Lunchbox" Past, Present and Future Life Log!!

http://www.musclecoalition.org/showt...nto-the-Future

Re: Cardio duration

Quote Originally Posted by Dvs1676 View Post
    is it really necessary to run like hell on the treadmill and for at least 45 minutes or does this only applies to individuals over a certain amount of weight. every time I do cardio I loose weight too fast and I usually like to keep some of my weight any suggestions?
    its all about the calories burned, and no you don't have to run. You can get the same effect by walking with an incline.

HIIT will burn the greatest amount of calories though, because of the increase in metabolism post workout.

the best type of cardio is the type that you are most likely to continue doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox View Post
    I lost over 150 pounds by diet, cardio and lifting. For cardio I never ever ran. Walked at a pace and incline which kept my HR between 135-145 for 45min to 1 hour a day. 5 days a week.
    damn! you are a tough sob to lose that much. losing weight is a very difficult thing to do. I also prefer to walk with an incline.

Running for long times can be rough on you knees and surrounding cartilage. If your not prepping for a king distance run, would keep it to 20-30mins at a comfortable moderate pace and use the eleptical as an alternative to running imo. Stair master is awesome too.
    When I die I want to be called a friend or family member by everyone I came into contact with!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisotpherm View Post
    Running for long times can be rough on you knees and surrounding cartilage. If your not prepping for a king distance run, would keep it to 20-30mins at a comfortable moderate pace and use the eleptical as an alternative to running imo. Stair master is awesome too.
    I love the stair master! People think I'm crazy?
    Credentials:
    Masters Degree-Exercise Physiology
    Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist-ACSM

The old standard was 30 min minimum.now 20 min minimum is the standard .but remember this.to lose one pound of fat you have to burn 3500 calories so you need to burn 500 calories a cardio session a day in order to lose 1 lb of fat a week.

That is the reason I stopped running and just do walking on the incline position I sweat a lot faster and my knees and shins are not hurting. I will try to idea of alternating with the elliptical it's hard to get on one of those at my gym damm woman are always on them for hours I don't know how they do it but they do.

Agreed. Imo running has its place but the more weight/mass you put on the more stress you put on your bones and tendons and when you run like you would normally with added weight you take the risk of injury.
    When I die I want to be called a friend or family member by everyone I came into contact with!!!

For fat burning purposes,slower pace and longer duration is best.when at a faster pace the body burns glycogen for energy.at a slower pace it taps into the fat cells.