Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardio duration

Quote Originally Posted by Fit Guru View Post
    For fat burning purposes,slower pace and longer duration is best.when at a faster pace the body burns glycogen for energy.at a slower pace it taps into the fat cells.
    So true. This is why so many marathon runners and alike athletes suffer from hypoglycemia.
    When I die I want to be called a friend or family member by everyone I came into contact with!!!

Re: Cardio duration

Quote Originally Posted by Fit Guru View Post
    For fat burning purposes,slower pace and longer duration is best.when at a faster pace the body burns glycogen for energy.at a slower pace it taps into the fat cells.

That is exactly what I am doing now especially since I am not a big guy at all this will be more of a maintenance routine and to also not help me abandon my cardio.

I have never been one to do cardio. I recently injured my bicep and decided to start adding in cardio every other day.I usually weight train 5-6 days a week.
    Their is a cybex arc trainer at my gym that I'm starting to use.If you have one at your gym give it a try it has been whooping my ass.I can do 30 minutes on a elliptical with heart rate it the 140-150 range but 15-20 on the arc training is twice as hard.

Quote Originally Posted by NTL View Post
    I have never been one to do cardio. I recently injured my bicep and decided to start adding in cardio every other day.I usually weight train 5-6 days a week.
    Their is a cybex arc trainer at my gym that I'm starting to use.If you have one at your gym give it a try it has been whooping my ass.I can do 30 minutes on a elliptical with heart rate it the 140-150 range but 15-20 on the arc training is twice as hard.

I seen those at my gym thanks for the heads up I like to alternate equipment so that I don't get bored.

Been doin more hiit sprints lately, 15 mimutes and im gassed

You can do low, slow cardio or you can do interval cardio. Both are effective. You can sit on a treadmill for 45min at a steep incline walking briskly or you could run stadiums or pull a sled.

The most important thing is to just do something. I prefer interval cardio/conditioning training.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

V.I.P.
    What's the difference between running a mile in 6 minutes as opposed to like 8 or 9?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious 13 View Post
    What's the difference between running a mile in 6 minutes as opposed to like 8 or 9?
    One makes you a man, and the other makes your balls shrink.

In all seriousness, not much difference. Raising your heart rate to an aerobic bpm for 30 min 3 times per week will gibe you the benefit most of us are looking for, while preserving mass. If you are training for an endurance event, then this advice changes

When I competed I always did the least amount of cardio possible, I want to be healthy heart wise, but my workouts are long and have an aerobic effect, I plan on doing what I used to do 20-30 mins 2X a week.(come spring) I let the diet do the job, cardio is important but too much and you start chewing up muscle mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious 13 View Post
    Gs nailed it, but also calories burned per minute is a difference. Per mile you burn roughly the same amount of calories burned regardless if you walk or run, but running it allows you to burn calories faster.
    Credentials:
    Masters Degree-Exercise Physiology
    Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist-ACSM