Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cardio duration

Quote Originally Posted by exphys88 View Post
    Gs nailed it, but also calories burned per minute is a difference. Per mile you burn roughly the same amount of calories burned regardless if you walk or run, but running it allows you to burn calories faster.
    Very true. If you don't won't to run use the eleptical as you can go just as hard as you would running with out the wear and tear on the body.
    When I die I want to be called a friend or family member by everyone I came into contact with!!!

HEAD MC MOD - SUPER VIP - Foundation Member - Leader of The Wolf Pack Motherf@#$%ers! ordawg1's Avatar

Re: Cardio duration

I like the treadmill-elliptical and the rowing machine the best ( concept).I use all three of these each day and just work my HR between 130-150 for 1 1/2 hrs.I also toss in the stationary bike-but it bores me a bit.I find if I just do one type of cardio my trail hikes and rafting suffer come spring-summer-fall.My endurance is great for my age-plus I do some Zumba with the hotties.Great scenery in that class for those that like that type of endeavor,I can tell you is a great way to burn up and hour an excess calories to boot !!-OD

I don't do much cardio when Bulking. Now when cutting it's a whole nother story...

I love cardio do it at least 3 times a week

I tried cardio a few times. Wasn't impressed lol.

I lettered in swimming in high school. I paid my dues in cardio many times over lol.

I'll be busting out the jump rope shortly actually.
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

^--- rope jumping!! good stuff for HIIT fasting cardio. Fun too. Still love to add that otherwise I just get lazy and DIY my ass on a bike.. Boring!!!
    Stats as of 1/17/13: 45 y/o male - 5'7" 186 lbs - 15-16% BF (est)
    AAS Experience: over 25 years (on and off) - Just about every AAS, Serms, DNP...all except peps - 3 yrs Homebrew experience
    Current Cycle: Test, EQ, DHB, Tren, Proviron
    Training Experience: 30 years (on and off), Personal Trainer, Military
    Current Training Protocol: DC Training
    General Info and Goals: Cancer Survivor (Stage 3 Prostate Cancer - Cancer Free since 8/11)
    Want to get back to pre surgery weight & strength - ultimately low 200s at sub 10% bf

stair master for sure helped me drop serious weight when cutting

The other night I had a guy talk to me (and maybe I should have listened lol) about a mathematical formula for your heart rate per you age and weight that if you stay in that range you won't burn muscle. Has anyone heard of this? I absolutely dislike cardio after back surgery but starting tomorrow i'm going to stay to cut and run my cut cycle but don't want to burn to much hard earned muscle.

HEAD MC MOD - SUPER VIP - Foundation Member - Leader of The Wolf Pack Motherf@#$%ers! ordawg1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuelfan View Post
    The other night I had a guy talk to me (and maybe I should have listened lol) about a mathematical formula for your heart rate per you age and weight that if you stay in that range you won't burn muscle. Has anyone heard of this? I absolutely dislike cardio after back surgery but starting tomorrow i'm going to stay to cut and run my cut cycle but don't want to burn to much hard earned muscle.
    Target heart Zones-is easy peasey.I build endurance with them-lose fat and stay fit.EX88 uses for training for mtn climbing.I will let EX chime in as this is actually his area of expertise-OD

Quote Originally Posted by Fuelfan View Post
    muscle isn't used as an energy source during cardio, fat and carbs are. The more intense your exercise is, the more carbs become a higher percentage of the fuel used. I'm not sure of the formula hes referring to, but the most common is 220-your age X (.65-.85). this puts you roughly in the 65-85% range of your estimated max HR. Sticking in this range will ensure you're burning an adequate amount of calories and you're working your heart enough to see cardiovascular benefits.
    Another option is to check out High Intensity Interval Training.
    Credentials:
    Masters Degree-Exercise Physiology
    Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist-ACSM