Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: leg help!

Re: leg help!

Quote Originally Posted by Fit Guru View Post
    If that's your order of lifts then they are all out of whack. Don't ditch leg extensions . Do them first always as a warm up. Your squats are too high in reps which leads me to believe you are going way too light. Your whole routine is a "I hate training legs so I'm gonna do the easiest stuff I can" here's what I'd do

Leg ext 4x 15
    Squats 5x8-10( ass to ankles)
    Leg press 4x10
    Hack squats 4x10( all the way down)
    Lying leg curls 4x15
    Bulgarian dead lifts3x10( use dumbells legs shoulder width slightly bent, bend down far as u can go then back up without locking)
    This is how the big boys get it done anyway!!
    Now fit you just told me to do this. So your saying one or the other on the hack squat?? Also I might have miss said something, the good mornings to me are the stiff leg dead lift. Keeping legs stiff and back straight I bend as far as my hams will let me then back up keeping good form.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironguruera View Post
    while I do like higher reps on some leg exercises I prefer high reps on leg press. I prefer 8-12 for most leg stuff. A heavy 6 rep set is good as a mix up.

The only thing I like in your current routine is the squats and leg press. the extensions are ok but depends on how u place them in the routine. Use them like fit said. Or as a finisher.

Good mornings are not a hamstring move. They do involve hams but barely. U need either hamstring tensile curls, stiff leg deads, Romanian deads. Then use the laying or standing ham curls as a finisher.

if hack slide machine doesn't hurt your knees they work great. I'd pick either front squat or hack slides.

I'd go like this.
    Quad extensions
    Squats
    Leg press
    Front squats or hack slide

Stiff leg deads or Romanian db stiff leg deads

Laying ham curl or tensile contraction

Standing ham curl.

Here is a tensile contraction. These are hard as hell!

Attachment 834
    Holly hell iron, that does look tough! But it looks like it would kick the hams in the ass LOL

Thanx Dude!

Quote Originally Posted by wanabbig View Post
    Now fit you just told me to do this. So your saying one or the other on the hack squat?? Also I might have miss said something, the good mornings to me are the stiff leg dead lift. Keeping legs stiff and back straight I bend as far as my hams will let me then back up keeping good form.
    Yes on days you do hacks don't do presses.good mornings don't hit the hams near as good as stiff legged dreads or Bulgarians.their more for lower back.

Quote Originally Posted by wanabbig View Post
    sis, not to argue but it seems like the machines issolate the movement to the muscle. The GM seem to get the ass and upper hamstrings (right below the ass) and hamstring curls get the lower (behind the knee) and makes em come out and pop. I don;t mean to sound ignorant but what is a snatch grip RDL?? You said lower the reps, I have thought about that because that's the way I train my upper body (actualy on the flip flop, high rep week and low rep week) but I had several BB years ago tell me that legs are funny, they like high reps to see results. They said legs are used so much everyday (walking and getting around) that they need high reps to break them down. But since there not growing like I want I'll try the lower reps to see

Thanx
    Well machines isolate the muscle but they don't work any stabilizers and don't recruit the maximum amount of muscles to aid in performing any lift. Compound multi joint movements got me 30" legs at 5'5 so I must be doing something right. For every bber who tells you high reps, I've talked to many who say just the opposite. You have to find out what works for YOU and if high reps are getting you nowhere than it's time to try something different. If I perform high reps in my training guess what happens to me.... I stop growing. Like I said you have to find what works for YOU. IMHO heavy training usually works simply because the muscle can do 1 of 2 things when it's stressed by a heavy workload.... it can grow or it can tear (and I'm not talking about the tearing that takes place when your growing).

If your GM's aren't hitting your lower back than you're doing them wrong. GM's build the spinal erectors as they are the primary mover in the lift. Now the glutes and hamstring do aid in performing the lift but their not the primary mover.

Snatch Grip RDL's are a very wide grip Romanian deadlift. Snatch Grip is a Olympic Weightlifting term for a specific hand position on the bar. If you're around 6' tall you'd want your hands just about at the collars. This hand positioning will increase the ROM of the lift and also incorporate other muscles in the exercise like the lats.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious 13 View Post
    Do any of u guys wrap your knees on leg days?
    Depends. I know that's a vague answer but it depends on the percentages I'm using that day for my squats. I am a firm believer than if you're squatting with 85% or more than you should wrap your knees.

Now we can also discuss wrapping. Do you wrap in or out? Do you start at the top or the bottom? Do you cross your wrap like an X. Wrapping your knees is a science and in order to do it properly you need to understand the knee and what you should be doing with it when squatting. Remember you should ALWAYS push your knees OUT when you are back squatting, period. Doesn't matter if you're wrapping your knees and squatting completely raw.

If you want I can talk a lot more about this because if you wrap your knees wrong you can hurt yourself.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

V.I.P.

leg help!

Sister I would love to hear your thoughts on wrapping. I wrap outwards, starting at the top, and have used both an x pattern and just a normal spiral pattern for lack of a better description, but would love to hear how you do it based on your experiance.

Ltyson

Sent using Tapatalk

V.I.P.
    Thank u sister! Can u please explain how I should wrap. I want to start working legs again but I really feel like my knees need a little more support. My left knee had ostraslaughters (can't spell) well it got bad from years of sports and activity and the ligament pulled a small niece of bone from my knee so now under the knee cap there is a bump. Surgery is 50 50 so I'm not to thrilled to jump into it. It feels a lot better w pressure on it so I think wrapping would help when lifting. Hope this post isn't confusing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Check this out. He talks forever but technique is spot on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fAKG...e_gdata_player
    When I die I want to be called a friend or family member by everyone I came into contact with!!!

V.I.P.

Some good Info in this thread. For a lot of what I do I have to guess and see what happens. I believe that a leg program with out squats is a waste of time, but thats just me. I have used knee wraps but I waited until the weight I was lifting was close to 3 times my body weight. I was up in the 600 to 700 pound range. I dont count singles so that was at least 2 or 3 reps. Machines and high reps are good, in my opinion, but only good for some better definition and rehab. I wouldnt use them as a main size builder. If you look at the photos Sister Steel has posted I would say she can help you with the legs based on the photos. Its obvious she trains them based on a program that works. She probably hasn't had to guess and train without any help like I have. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious 13 View Post
    Thank u sister! Can u please explain how I should wrap. I want to start working legs again but I really feel like my knees need a little more support. My left knee had ostraslaughters (can't spell) well it got bad from years of sports and activity and the ligament pulled a small niece of bone from my knee so now under the knee cap there is a bump. Surgery is 50 50 so I'm not to thrilled to jump into it. It feels a lot better w pressure on it so I think wrapping would help when lifting. Hope this post isn't confusing
    No, what you wrote isn't confusing. There are several different ways to wrap the knee. I personally like to wrap my knees "in" so I can really push against the wraps. Wrapping them "out" makes it easier to push your knees out which is why so many do it that way. You can start your wrap from the top and go down or vice versa.

The vid of Cartwright is easy to follow and also easy to do especially if you have to wrap your own knees. It's not how I wrap mine. I was shown how to wrap my knees by Steve Goggins (first man to squat 1100+lbs) but it'll work fine.

The thing I want you to take away from the vid is keep the leg straight that's being wrapped. Keep the wrap tension as consistent as you can (I know this isn't easy). Don't wrap too low. More of the wrap will be above the knee and not below it. Other than that many start out going straight up or down (overlapping the layers a bit) and than coming back up at the end.