Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/3/1 Question

5/3/1 Question

I Love 5/3/1, but does anybody find that working that one body part once a week is not enough??? I hate to go messing with Jim's Template, but I need to Bench at least twice a week to maintain strength gains and push to new levels.

V.I.P.

Re: 5/3/1 Question

There is nothing that says you have to stay on a 7 day schedule with your work outs. Right now mine are on an 8 day schedule. Sometimes I will run a six day schedule. One on one off and so on. Just make sure you can repeat the same schedule all month long and get enough rest. I know there is more to it than that but thats what I have done. I hope this helps.

I hear ya. I went with DC Training a few years ago. On cycle I tend to want to push it to EOD rather than take wkd off. But I stick to the plan.
    Ex:

Mon - A1 day:Chest, Shoulders, triceps, Back Width, Back Thickness

Wed - B1 day: Biceps, Forearms, Calves, Hamstrings, Quads

Fri - A2 Day: Same muscle groups as A1 different exercises

Sat -Off
    Sun - Off

M B2, W A3, F B3

rinse and repeat
    Stats as of 1/17/13: 45 y/o male - 5'7" 186 lbs - 15-16% BF (est)
    AAS Experience: over 25 years (on and off) - Just about every AAS, Serms, DNP...all except peps - 3 yrs Homebrew experience
    Current Cycle: Test, EQ, DHB, Tren, Proviron
    Training Experience: 30 years (on and off), Personal Trainer, Military
    Current Training Protocol: DC Training
    General Info and Goals: Cancer Survivor (Stage 3 Prostate Cancer - Cancer Free since 8/11)
    Want to get back to pre surgery weight & strength - ultimately low 200s at sub 10% bf

Quote Originally Posted by Ecto View Post
    I Love 5/3/1, but does anybody find that working that one body part once a week is not enough??? I hate to go messing with Jim's Template, but I need to Bench at least twice a week to maintain strength gains and push to new levels.
    No, I don't find that to be the case at all. Now I do have both speed work and strength work but they're both done on the same day.

Most programs with the execption of Sheiko and WSBB have people benching just 1x week.

And I wouldn't focus on benching. OH pressing is what's going to bring your bench up, not the other way around.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterSteel View Post
    No, I don't find that to be the case at all. Now I do have both speed work and strength work but they're both done on the same day.

Most programs with the execption of Sheiko and WSBB have people benching just 1x week.

And I wouldn't focus on benching. OH pressing is what's going to bring your bench up, not the other way around.
    Thanks on the tip. Cause I was fixing to cut the OH Press a little and work a Bench in there. I'll just stick to Template.

im on my 5th go round of 5/3/1 and have had tremendous gains in strength. I agree the pressing movements increased my bench for sure. I have attended Jim and Dave's seminars in the past and that question is always asked.

V.I.P.
    I've asked a couple times but don't think anyone has chimed in. I like doing 1 3 5 and go heavy to light any pros and cons
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious 13 View Post
    I've asked a couple times but don't think anyone has chimed in. I like doing 1 3 5 and go heavy to light any pros and cons

What's your questions Vicious? I've pretty well versed on 5/3/1 as well as most other training programs (WSBB, Cube, Sheilko, my own, etc)
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

V.I.P.
    Well instead of doing 5 3 1 I like I do my heaviest set first so I do 2 4 6 is that a bad way if doing it. I just feel I'm stronger on my first set than my last so i like going heavy to light. Maybe that's bad though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

V.I.P.
    Anyone?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]