Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half and Quarter Reps

V.I.P.

Half and Quarter Reps

Is there a weight lifting (Bodybuilding) protocol (dog crap, 5x5, pyramid) that has you doing half and quarter reps all the time? I see several people doing this at the gym I go to. It looks like they are simply trying to pump the muscles they are working. Most of the exercises I see them using look like a weighted version of the mandatory poses. What is this? I watched one of them do 4 sets of front squats (I think thats what it was) All quarter and half reps, from the standing position (top half) hands crossed, coming up off their heels every time. Then a row, kinda. Bottom quarter of a full row. Then a standing cable curl that looked like a rear biceps pose, half reps only.

Am I missing something? Best I can tell, they just take more special supplements and do work outs that make no sense to me. Im always looking to gain more knowledge but there is no rhyme or reason to this. Am I missing something here? I finally cant stand this any more I have to ask you guys maybe you know, what is this?

Sherk
    Lol. Those are people who have no idea what they're doing. I laugh at them on a daily basis. There's a kid at my gym whose about 5'10 and would be surprised if he weighed 120. He walks around with his chest puffed out and arms wide from phantom lat syndrome. He does quarter reps on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherk View Post
    ......He walks around with his chest puffed out and arms wide from phantom lat syndrome....
    ^^ ha ha ha

Sherk. No halves or quarters on the DoggCrapp... Although I'm sure a few people probably think I'm crazy when they see me laying on the bench after chest, stretching in the db fly position. Prob think in stuck there.
    Stats as of 1/17/13: 45 y/o male - 5'7" 186 lbs - 15-16% BF (est)
    AAS Experience: over 25 years (on and off) - Just about every AAS, Serms, DNP...all except peps - 3 yrs Homebrew experience
    Current Cycle: Test, EQ, DHB, Tren, Proviron
    Training Experience: 30 years (on and off), Personal Trainer, Military
    Current Training Protocol: DC Training
    General Info and Goals: Cancer Survivor (Stage 3 Prostate Cancer - Cancer Free since 8/11)
    Want to get back to pre surgery weight & strength - ultimately low 200s at sub 10% bf

V.I.P.

Re: Half and Quarter Reps

sometimes my last rep will b a half rep because of no spotter. but not the whole set

V.I.P.

Im glad I actually am not going crazy. I dont plan on saying anything to these people its pointless. I have heard several people say that the main guy doing this knows so much they always go to him for help (He is big but not balanced). Really I hope he keeps doing this. I can tell from what I see that he is on so much stuff that he could just do some jumping jacks and a few push ups and grow. He doesnt have any off cycle either. Anotherthing he always looks like a kangaroo while he is doing a set. Its sad really.

Dont get the wrong Idea though I know that you have to cheat or whatever to get the last rep or two on a heavy set but I dont think the whole work out (every rep) should be like this. Guys thanks for the replies! Now that I have got this off my chest I will be fine, Thanks!

I've heard of working on your sticking point on certain exercises by only working let's say the top half or bottom half of a movement but not for a whole workout.

V.I.P.

Yes I do that myself I had to do my squat like that. The thing I mentioned isnt like that. I began to think that it was some kind of special work out I didnt know about. I guess its just a lack of knowledge, thats all.

HEAD MC MOD - SUPER VIP - Foundation Member - Leader of The Wolf Pack Motherf@#$%ers! ordawg1's Avatar

I like to watch the hot women do bent over ANYTHINGS !! When I watch all these other dick wads-I get all upset.So -I just watch the women and my BP stays good.My cawk gets a lil wood-but better than trying to figure out the morons-or the fat ass gym guru lol-OD

I got two guys that are in the gym the same time as me that practice the quarter &half Rep religion.

I know a guy that does that shit when he trains biceps on the curl machine. He calls them "baby bumps". What he does is like a set of 8 reps and on the last rep he lowers it about 3/4 of the way down and gives it these little bumps 100 times and does 4 sets of them. The guy has absolutely HUGE arms so I wonder if it really does work? I'm not going to tell him that's stupid cause the dude could plow me over!