Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everyone knows how to do side lateral raises right?

Everyone knows how to do side lateral raises right?

Side laterals is a brilliant exercise which is performed in a bad way

People think by using heavier weights they are gonna get bigger shoulders or maybe it's an ego thing showing off to their gym bro's. Well it's stupid.

The work out is called side lateral for gods sake! So why do some people at the same time work their lower back, buttocks, calf muscles and hamstrings???

The movement has to be controlled and your back stable. if you have to swing like a monkey then the weight is too heavy bro.

Sherk
    I use to tell this guy that almost everyday. He swings the weight on every type of lift. It doesn't matter if its bi's, tri's, shoulders or anything else. He incorporates his entire body to the lifts and claims he's power lifting. No it's not power lifting its retarded lifting. He's out constantly with injury after injury.

V.I.P.

Re: Everyone knows how to do side lateral raises right?

Kangaroo. . . . . They look like a kangaroo lifting weights. Full reps? Forget about it. They dont do many of those either. The most common question I hear those guys ask is "Im lifting heavy why aint I growing?" The best answer to that is "I dont know." I do know but they wont listen. The main part that gets me is I have to wait until they get out of my way so I can use the rack, get the dumbbells, use the bench or what ever. Their lack of knowledge is astounding! I use less weight and make the muscle work through the full range of motion. I almost always make some kind of progress. Its all right there if they would only look and see what I do. Dont get the wrong Idea Im not perfect but I work at it. Im always correcting my form, getting one more rep, lifting another 5 pounds, something. Its progress. Can you tell this is one of my pet peeves, lol.

Put up a good vid of the correct way to do em bro!
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

When I do side laterals, I like to have the thought of "opening up my chest" when I bring the weight up. I also turn my pinky upwards like I'm pouring out a glass of water.

This probably makes no sense at all.
    Just one. More. Rep...

Sherk
    I know what you mean with the pinky, but I can't picture opening up your chest. I just did shoulders last night and was working with someone I know. What I told him was elbows up which in turn will do what you say with the pinky. He kept trying to keep his elbows more down but that hits more of the front delt than the side.

V.I.P.

The shoulder moves your arm up. The part of the arm it moves is from the shoulder to the elbow. Most gyms have a good set of mirrors. look in the mirror the muscles that are moving are the ones doing the work. (for any exercise this is true) If you still have a hard time telling if your hitting the side delts with the lateral raise put a piece of tape on it. Now try and feel the tape move. When the muscle contracts or expands the tape will move as well. I use electrical tape. I read an article about this several years ago, they called it "Touch, feel, grow". That sounds kinda simple. It really is that simple. Sometimes I help some of the new gym members with their lifts and I always tell them "The body part thats moving is the part thats doing the work".

The way I do them might look a little goofy but it works.

I grab onto something I can wrap my hand around and grip well, place both feet against whatevery I'm grabbing onto and hang sideways then start the motion. Really helps avoid any movement

What kind of weights you all use?
    Cant picture that Manny...
    I do em elbow up and pinky up also.
    My delts suck.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I use cables or dumb bells, depends on the mood. Stand straight with my head slightly foward to focuse on the traps and delts. Nice and smooth range of motion watching closly in the mirror. Sometimes I'll sit down and do the same thing.