Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exphys88 rant

Exphys88 rant

I feel that one of the main benefits of these forums is to create a place where we can discuss not only aas, but health and fitness. IMO the most appropriate way to approach these topics is through objective, scientific, evidence based methods. This is how all medicine and science progress. Also, We should be skeptical of quackery, superstition, and blatant disregard for science. By this I mean we should challenge anyone who makes claims about a particular method of training, supplement, medicine, or anything else that has never been proven, or has been proven to be a scam or ineffective. This is how we get better at what we do!!

I'm bringing this up because you'll routinely see me challenging claims about bunk supps or anything else that doesn't have any evidence to back it up. I'm a skeptic, and I need proof of something before I buy into it.

I was recently demodded on a forum because one of the mods is a complete loony and repeatedly spread horrible info and conspiracy theories, so I repeatedly called him out on it. One example is his belief that coffee enemas will cure cancer, lol. This topic has been researched thoroughly and not only is it ineffective, but its dangerous and the group that started the scam is not even allowed to practice in the US. This is one of many of his stupid claims, in which he used his mod status to spread stupidity.

When I argued that the forum should support science, the admin said their forum isn't a scientific forum!!!

Luckily for us, forums like MC and the other forums do support science. I'm happy to no longer be associated w a place that promotes ignorance and hates science.
    Credentials:
    Masters Degree-Exercise Physiology
    Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist-ACSM

Re: Exphys88 rant

Quote Originally Posted by exphys88 View Post
    I feel that one of the main benefits of these forums is to create a place where we can discuss not only aas, but health and fitness. IMO the most appropriate way to approach these topics is through objective, scientific, evidence based methods. This is how all medicine and science progress. Also, We should be skeptical of quackery, superstition, and blatant disregard for science. By this I mean we should challenge anyone who makes claims about a particular method of training, supplement, medicine, or anything else that has never been proven, or has been proven to be a scam or ineffective. This is how we get better at what we do!!

I'm bringing this up because you'll routinely see me challenging claims about bunk supps or anything else that doesn't have any evidence to back it up. I'm a skeptic, and I need proof of something before I buy into it.

I was recently demodded on a forum because one of the mods is a complete loony and repeatedly spread horrible info and conspiracy theories, so I repeatedly called him out on it. One example is his belief that coffee enemas will cure cancer, lol. This topic has been researched thoroughly and not only is it ineffective, but its dangerous and the group that started the scam is not even allowed to practice in the US. This is one of many of his stupid claims, in which he used his mod status to spread stupidity.

When I argued that the forum should support science, the admin said their forum isn't a scientific forum!!!

Luckily for us, forums like MC and the other forums do support science. I'm happy to no longer be associated w a place that promotes ignorance and hates science.
    So many myths and misconceptions...total ignorance...when I worked for a fitness chain, a supervisor ( I was a manager) asked about my diet, she said "you keep eating all that protein you will be on dialysis soon" ROFL stupid bitch I've been eating like this 20+ years and at my checkups my Docs said my kidney function was exceptional, no damage what so ever...I could go on and on...

Quote Originally Posted by kazman68 View Post
    So many myths and misconceptions...total ignorance...when I worked for a fitness chain, a supervisor ( I was a manager) asked about my diet, she said "you keep eating all that protein you will be on dialysis soon" ROFL stupid bitch I've been eating like this 20+ years and at my checkups my Docs said my kidney function was exceptional, no damage what so ever...I could go on and on...
    One of my favorite quotes when somebody makes a claim is "do you have any evidence to back that up?"
    Credentials:

I use to run/own a site where if you called someone/something out, or if you made "factual statements".....you MUST have evidence to back it up.....hmmm....maybe MC will head in that direction.....I hate to admit it....but when I first started using AAS many moons ago, bro science fucked me up more than did good.

Quote Originally Posted by knights View Post
    I use to run/own a site where if you called someone/something out, or if you made "factual statements".....you MUST have evidence to back it up.....hmmm....maybe MC will head in that direction.....I hate to admit it....but when I first started using AAS many moons ago, bro science fucked me up more than did good.
    I like that. For some, testimonials equal evidence, but people involved in medicine or research know that testimonials are nothing close to proof of anything.
    Credentials:

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

Kind of like supplements? Making the big claims...but nothing to support evidence that they work except for testimonials from customers or beta testers.
    Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3)

We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us! (Philippians 4:13)

MuscleAddiction is a fictitious role-playing character! All information discussed is for entertainment purposes only!

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleAddiction View Post
    Kind of like supplements? Making the big claims...but nothing to support evidence that they work except for testimonials from customers or beta testers.
    Exactly.
    Credentials:

You can see that more often than I'd like. You'll see claims and in the end of it you'll find the poster saying something like... trust me. That should be a tell tale sign that he/she doesn't have a clue.

Science is great.... don't get me wrong but there are times when things work in theory but not in practice. Science backed up with actual personal experience is best if you ask me.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterSteel View Post
    You can see that more often than I'd like. You'll see claims and in the end of it you'll find the poster saying something like... trust me. That should be a tell tale sign that he/she doesn't have a clue.

Science is great.... don't get me wrong but there are times when things work in theory but not in practice. Science backed up with actual personal experience is best if you ask me.
    I like science to back up personal experience. When someone says that a certain supplement worked for them, I like to also see some type of research showing its not just placebo effect.
    Credentials:

Quote Originally Posted by exphys88 View Post
    One of my favorite quotes when somebody makes a claim is "do you have any evidence to back that up?"
    Yah, I went online and copied off 5 studies(there were shitloads) that prove high protein diets don't cause kidney damage in normal healthy adults, I highlighted them and was going to slam them down on her desk, but then I decided against it..I needed the job at the time, and she was the type of bitch that 'just couldn't be wrong".