Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting All Over

Starting All Over

Well since I ain't been to the gym in over a month, because of my new job schedule, i am going to be starting back in the next coming week(s). I think I really need to just focus on strength for a solid 6 months to a year and not worry so much about the hypertrophy aspect of it all. Even though i been liftin for years now, my muscles are still noobie, according to the numbers I'm putting up on Bench, Squat, and Deadlift. I think I will just start with something basic as hell, like Rippetoe's Starting Strength.

Re: Starting All Over

I don't think a month will hurt you too bad. I was out for 1.5 month due to a minor abd surgery and when I get back, my muscle didn't even noticed. I took some precautions just in case...but I was fine. My cardio in the other hand sucks more due to inactivity. But did not notice too much dif in strenght. For strength I use Westside technique/training/routines if interest. Good deal down there with Louie & team.

......plus i'm going to have a little help from Mr. Test C, so hopefully the strength will return quickly

V.I.P.

I am in a similar boat. Mr. "P" will be assisting me in the process.

Since I have had a month off my knees have gotten a break and have healed up. I'm not so sure i should do Squats anymore. I have alot of wear and tear on my knees from all the years i wrestled in school which was 3rd - 12th grade. Now at 41 when i do heavy squats, i can't even bend down without my knees constantly popping. So should i just do away with the squats altogether or just go extremely light and stay toned?????

Quote Originally Posted by Ecto View Post
    Since I have had a month off my knees have gotten a break and have healed up. I'm not so sure i should do Squats anymore. I have alot of wear and tear on my knees from all the years i wrestled in school which was 3rd - 12th grade. Now at 41 when i do heavy squats, i can't even bend down without my knees constantly popping. So should i just do away with the squats altogether or just go extremely light and stay toned?????

There are many people that feel that legs get better results in growth when you do higher reps since it will cause a greater amount of Hypertrophy rather than higher weight and less weight.

Right now what I'm doing which you should try because of your knees is pre-exhaust your legs by starting with leg extensions and leg curl making sure that I go nice and controlled and do a quick squeez at the top on both, followed by squats, deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts and lunges. I'm not really doing high reps but the effect is that my legs are getting trashed with less weight and stress on my knees since I'm pre-exhausting them. You can do this and go with even lower weight if you want to get higher reps or moderate weight like I'm doing. Also remember your muscles don't know weight they know and respond to the stress aspect of the training.

I would recommend continuing squats, just keep the weight low so that there is no pain involved.

Hey Ecto IMO you are an excellent candidate for learning to do front squats. As said above keep your weight low and you reps at around 12-15.
    Most peeps with wear and tear knee issies find front squats to actually be theraputic.
    Good luck bro and let us know how it works out for you. Also if you need tips or variations of front squats just post up and ask. Thibs has an excellent vid on variations.

Are you sure that the pain is in your knees and not estrogen trying to take over? Just checking... In a serious note and like zedhed said...front squats can help you brother. There is a website that sell a front squat harness. It's very strong, cheap and you can add some extra pounds without pain in your wrist or front chest.

I don't feel any pain really. My knees just popped really bad all the time. Like if I basically need to squat down and get something out of the cabinet, something in my knees pops, not just one both. Not to mention i have a torn Meniscus that has never been repaired. But as of now i am healed up, no popping. I think I will try the front squats.....great suggestion!!!!