Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 or 4 days a week workout routine

3 or 4 days a week workout routine

Looking for input I want to start training like 3 or 4 days a week. Any suggestions on what to workout together and type of movements to do etc. I need to hit every body part each week.
    Thnx

I find my body responds very well to a 3 day a week program. I have a family and work a lot so time is a rare thing!

I did the 5 day programs as a young buck and didn't grow nearly as well. I also would get burnt out faster on those programs.

I hate doing chest and triceps same day. If I hit triceps 1st I get a shit chest workout and vice versa. I also don't like chest and shoulders together or even the next day so my below routines are setup that way on purpose.

I do chest/biceps

Legs/triceps

Shoulder/back

I do calves, abs, 2 times a week. As u can see I train my entire body in 3 days.

As far as routines its too long to list. I like volume, drop sets, giant sets, supersets. Look at my log for more details.

I try to keep the workouts 1-1.5 hours.

Here's the results of the above. 3 yrs of training. 2 cycles.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364761367.020786.jpg
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

A lot of folks benefit from 3-4 days a week. I believe when your in initial lift off phase so to speak you have to smash hard. Maybe for a month then switch to a 3-4 day routine. Will allow your body a lot of rest and recomp time. Maybe kaz, fit or sister can chime in on how the BB do it!
    When I die I want to be called a friend or family member by everyone I came into contact with!!!

V.I.P.

Re: 3 or 4 days a week workout routine

I will try and help get you started. Maybe someone can post a different Idea.

I would start out with a full body work out 3 days a week. Do the same work out every day. I always recomend starting with legs because that will seperate you from the normal gym rats. A lot of people work their upper body and dont do leg work much because its hard to do. They usually wear long shorts or pants to cover up their bad legs. They look like big chickens.

Squats 8 to 10 reps times 3 sets
    Dead lifts 8 to 10 reps times 3 sets
    Flat bench Press 8 to 10 reps times 3 sets
    Barbell curls 8 to 10 reps times 3 sets
    Triceps extensions on the high cable machine 8 to 10 reps 3 sets
    Set ups 3 sets of 25

This is a good work out to begin with and after about a month to six weeks I would go to a push pull style work out.

Start with a weight that you can get somewhere between 8 to 10 reps on and then increase the weight and begin again.

You didnt say what level your at or How long you have been working out. Thats why I listed a good work out to start with.

Upper/ lower push/pull

Are you training for BBing or PLing? This all makes a difference in the routine/regimen. They are 2 totally different things and are accomplished differently. If BBing I would say 4 and if PLing I would say 3.

BBing:
    Mon Quads/Hams
    Tue Chest/Tri
    Thur Back
    Fri Shoulder/Bis

PLing:
    Mon Pull
    Wed Push
    Fri Legs

These are just 2 variations. Again, as for reps, sets, rest time, etc I would need to know what you're looking to accomplish.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterSteel View Post
    Are you training for BBing or PLing? This all makes a difference in the routine/regimen. They are 2 totally different things and are accomplished differently. If BBing I would say 4 and if PLing I would say 3.

BBing:
    Mon Quads/Hams
    Tue Chest/Tri
    Thur Back
    Fri Shoulder/Bis

PLing:
    Mon Pull
    Wed Push
    Fri Legs

These are just 2 variations. Again, as for reps, sets, rest time, etc I would need to know what you're looking to accomplish.
    Hey sister thnx for taking an interest. Ill give you a lil background cuz I'm interested in what you come up with.
    I'm 6' 250lbs 20-25%BF at 30Yrs I have been working out since I was in high school but I have always gone 5to6 days one movement a day. Ive been back to gym for 2 months after being gone from gym for 8 months and I just can't commit that much time anymore. So I need some expert advice how to lose about 30 pounds but keep strength up. The nice thing about 3 days a week is I can get in much needed cardio a lot easier.
    Thnx for help

my program is more bb based. I don't really care how strong I am. Yes I try to continually progress in weight or sets etc but weight its not my main objective.

I would say a fast paced circuit training routine would work great for fat loss.

Weight loss is going to come down to the diet more then anything though.

I don't have much 1st hand experience In powerlifting and caloric burn.
    I sometimes wear a chest strap style heart monitor during my workouts. I often burn 800-1200 cals in 1 hour lifting weights. Not sure if that possible with a powerlifting routine as I've never tried. Most pl routines seem to have more rest between sets then how I train so that might be counterproductive if your main goal is fat loss.

Sister is more pl experienced then prob any of us, so she can chime in if a pl routine like red crayon listed above would suit your needs in regards to fat loss.

A bb routine will keep you strong....just not pl strong.
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironguruera View Post
    my program is more bb based. I don't really care how strong I am. Yes I try to continually progress in weight or sets etc but weight its not my main objective.

I would say a fast paced circuit training routine would work great for fat loss.

Weight loss is going to come down to the diet more then anything though.

I don't have much 1st hand experience In powerlifting and caloric burn.
    I sometimes wear a chest strap style heart monitor during my workouts. I often burn 800-1200 cals in 1 hour lifting weights. Not sure if that possible with a powerlifting routine as I've never tried. Most pl routines seem to have more rest between sets then how I train so that might be counterproductive if your main goal is fat loss.

Sister is more pl experienced then prob any of us, so she can chime in if a pl routine like red crayon listed above would suit your needs in regards to fat loss.

A bb routine will keep you strong....just not pl strong.
    I would ultimately like to keep my strength up but PL or BB it honestly doesn't matter much to me. Whatever is gonna work better with my schedule and help to obtain the goal is what I will do. As long as I'm in the gym doing something that works. I feel better look better and overall quality of life is better when I train. Ill try anything whether or not it works for me will be decided by hard work and dedication to an honest attempt at whatever it is to see if truly works. I'm either all in or nothing.

Here is my current BB split:

1. Chest/Shoulders/Abs
    2. Legs (thighs and calves)
    3. Off (cardio if needed)
    4. Back/Traps/Abs
    5. Arms(bi's & tris)/Calves
    6. REST CHEAT DAY
    7. Off (cardio if needed)

I think the rest day in the middle of the week does wonders for recovery.