Thread: Signs of a Weak Weightlifting Routine...

Signs of a Weak Weightlifting Routine...

So, you’re wondering how your lifting routine stacks up? You’re jamming out sets of bicep curls, crunching your abs into oblivion, and performing pec deck flyes until your eyes are about to burst out of their sockets. You have felt the burn of lateral raises and cable crossovers to the tune of 30 sets per day.

Pull out your workout logs, because here we go. The following are 7 signs that your workouts are weak. Read at your own peril.

1. No Progression. If you’re not busting your ass to increase the weights, then you might as well go home. Progression is the cornerstone of muscle growth. If you lift like a sissy, your physique won’t change. There are hundreds of thousands of gym rats across the globe that have been bench pressing the same weight for the same reps for the last 10 years. They claim they’re training to tone up, but their physiques look like crap. Either start progressing, or end up as their training partner.

2. Too Much Volume. Yes, you heard me right. More is not better. If you think that 30-40 sets per workout will make you look like Arnold, you need a reality check. More is not better.

3. You’re Not Squatting. A routine without squats is like a kegger without a keg. It just ain’t happening. Not only are heavy squats an amazing leg builder, but they also place the body in a more anabolic state. A common routine mistake of posers everywhere is to pretend they’re avoiding squats because they are bad on the knees. This is bullshit. Enough already with the leg extensions. Get in the rack, and get some weight on your back.

4. Isolation Overload. If your routine is filled with isolation exercises - because you really want to get that mind muscle connection - you might as well step outside and start flapping your arms like a bird. Maybe you’ll fly, and maybe you’ll grow big muscles too!

5. Advanced Training Techniques. Forget negative reps, super sets, giant sets, super slow-mo reps, partial reps, pre-exhaustion, drops sets, and burns. None of these techniques matter at all if you don’t have your weight lifting act together. Stop pretending that negative rep bench presses with 135 on the bar is going to turn you into a monster. Stop pretending that holding your arms out to your side for 10 seconds while performing side laterals makes any difference. I can hold my arms over my head for 30 seconds and feel a burn. Go back to the basics; head back to the land of simplicity.

6. You’re Not Deadlifting. Deadlift! Start deadlifting, now! Run. Go. OK, you’re back? Good. Odds are, if you’re not squatting, you’re not deadlifting. The deadlift is the king of full body heavy compound exercises. Tugging heavy weight off the ground sends growth signals to your brain. And what if your gym doesn’t allow you to deadlift? Strip yourself down to your undies, and run around wildly screaming war cries. You’re sure to get thrown out. And then you’ll be forced to purchase a barbell set of your own, and deadlift in your basement.

7. Arm Obsession. If you are hammering out 30 sets of bicep curls every third day, it’s a sure sign of an arm addiction. If you want big guns, you have to lift big weights. Have you ever seen someone deadlift 600 pounds that didn’t have biceps as full as car tires? Have you ever seen someone bench press 400 pounds that didn’t have wicked horseshoe triceps? Overkilling your arms with 50 sets a week is wrong in so many ways. And for the love of God, if you are performing barbell curls in the squat rack, STOP NOW.

If you’ve survived the sarcasm, you’re one step closer to having a very good routine. Best of luck, and lift heavy.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Re: Signs of a Weak Weightlifting Routine...

Quote Originally Posted by SisterSteel View Post
    So, you’re wondering how your lifting routine stacks up? You’re jamming out sets of bicep curls, crunching your abs into oblivion, and performing pec deck flyes until your eyes are about to burst out of their sockets. You have felt the burn of lateral raises and cable crossovers to the tune of 30 sets per day.

Pull out your workout logs, because here we go. The following are 7 signs that your workouts are weak. Read at your own peril.

1. No Progression. If you’re not busting your ass to increase the weights, then you might as well go home. Progression is the cornerstone of muscle growth. If you lift like a sissy, your physique won’t change. There are hundreds of thousands of gym rats across the globe that have been bench pressing the same weight for the same reps for the last 10 years. They claim they’re training to tone up, but their physiques look like crap. Either start progressing, or end up as their training partner.

2. Too Much Volume. Yes, you heard me right. More is not better. If you think that 30-40 sets per workout will make you look like Arnold, you need a reality check. More is not better.

3. You’re Not Squatting. A routine without squats is like a kegger without a keg. It just ain’t happening. Not only are heavy squats an amazing leg builder, but they also place the body in a more anabolic state. A common routine mistake of posers everywhere is to pretend they’re avoiding squats because they are bad on the knees. This is bullshit. Enough already with the leg extensions. Get in the rack, and get some weight on your back.

4. Isolation Overload. If your routine is filled with isolation exercises - because you really want to get that mind muscle connection - you might as well step outside and start flapping your arms like a bird. Maybe you’ll fly, and maybe you’ll grow big muscles too!

5. Advanced Training Techniques. Forget negative reps, super sets, giant sets, super slow-mo reps, partial reps, pre-exhaustion, drops sets, and burns. None of these techniques matter at all if you don’t have your weight lifting act together. Stop pretending that negative rep bench presses with 135 on the bar is going to turn you into a monster. Stop pretending that holding your arms out to your side for 10 seconds while performing side laterals makes any difference. I can hold my arms over my head for 30 seconds and feel a burn. Go back to the basics; head back to the land of simplicity.

6. You’re Not Deadlifting. Deadlift! Start deadlifting, now! Run. Go. OK, you’re back? Good. Odds are, if you’re not squatting, you’re not deadlifting. The deadlift is the king of full body heavy compound exercises. Tugging heavy weight off the ground sends growth signals to your brain. And what if your gym doesn’t allow you to deadlift? Strip yourself down to your undies, and run around wildly screaming war cries. You’re sure to get thrown out. And then you’ll be forced to purchase a barbell set of your own, and deadlift in your basement.

7. Arm Obsession. If you are hammering out 30 sets of bicep curls every third day, it’s a sure sign of an arm addiction. If you want big guns, you have to lift big weights. Have you ever seen someone deadlift 600 pounds that didn’t have biceps as full as car tires? Have you ever seen someone bench press 400 pounds that didn’t have wicked horseshoe triceps? Overkilling your arms with 50 sets a week is wrong in so many ways. And for the love of God, if you are performing barbell curls in the squat rack, STOP NOW.

If you’ve survived the sarcasm, you’re one step closer to having a very good routine. Best of luck, and lift heavy.
    Sister! My arms are out knees are down.. Yes I am bowing down to you right now!! I need a girl like you in my life! Lol sweet post

Great post! Agree to the T.

I keep a journal when I train. And every week I try and beat the previous week. I've found this is the only way for me to continue growing. Always deadlift and always squat. Two HUGE mass builders. And yes...every guy @ my gym claims they can't dead lift cuz it hurts their back and can't squat due to their knees. BS. Learn.

Gr8 post suga. Love it!
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

SisterSteel, you nailed it! 6 and 7 are big ones from your list but I love this list you have made.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange24 View Post
    Great post! Agree to the T.

I keep a journal when I train. And every week I try and beat the previous week. I've found this is the only way for me to continue growing. Always deadlift and always squat. Two HUGE mass builders. And yes...every guy @ my gym claims they can't dead lift cuz it hurts their back and can't squat due to their knees. BS. Learn.
    I'll wager they still look the exact same they did when they first started training there. Those kind of people are the ones who want the "magic" pill to take because according to them that's the only way they'll grown.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

V.I.P.

I see the same thing at the gym I go to. All you have to do is catch them off cycle. lol. Thats one of the main reasons I have been, until 2012, working out as a modified natural athlete. Modified Natural = anything I can buy at the vitamin store I would take. When you work out like that there is no off cycle! lol.

To begin to make a change in your body its pretty simple, all you need is a few things. Knowledge, read everything you can get your hands on. Ask all the questions you can and get answers from anyone who looks like they are making progress. Compound lifts, do the compound lifts or go home! Compound Lifts = Squats, Dead Lifts, Bench Press, Arm Curls, Dips. Rest, Get plenty of rest. Eat, Eat big to get big. Thats it. I know thats the same thing sister said I just put it into a different set of words.

Lift, Eat, Rest, Repeat lol.