Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ??? On Your Worst Lift.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

??? On Your Worst Lift.....

OK lets hear them!!! What is the one lift that you struggle the most with?

I've done well with Powerlifting and I have a pretty extensive background in strength sports so I'd like to help the members of MC with their problem lifts. I also hope some others will jump in when they can. Everybody has a lift that they are "good" at... we don't want to hear about that in this thread.

I assume everyone hear is trying to improve on one lift or another... so lets see if we can't help each other out a bit!
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

Re: ??? On Your Worst Lift.....

Bench...very weak in this department. Lagging triceps don't help either...before my first bodybuilding competition in 2005 my bench was 425...a lot of PL technique to help with it, now I have not been able to get close.
    Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3)

We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us! (Philippians 4:13)

MuscleAddiction is a fictitious role-playing character! All information discussed is for entertainment purposes only!

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleAddiction View Post
    Bench...very weak in this department. Lagging triceps don't help either...before my first bodybuilding competition in 2005 my bench was 425...a lot of PL technique to help with it, now I have not been able to get close.
    What are you doing to train your bench? You use a lot more than just your triceps when you bench. You use your legs, triceps, lats, shoulders, chest, etc.

What set/rep scheme are you implementing in your bench training?

How's your shoulder strength? What assisting lifts are you performing to help increase your bench and get it back to where it was? Are you doing any CGBP, Floor Press, Standing OHP? How's your set up? Are you getting an arch? Are you driving your traps into the bench with your legs? Are you getting leg drive? Where are you bringing the bar down to?

One cue that will help you is... chest up. Get that chest up and that will help with your arch, help get some lat involvement, and keep your traps "locked" in place.
    Last edited by SisterSteel; 04-28-2013 at 10:10 PM.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Hey bro bench press is not necessarily the best or only way to train chest. This guy is kind of a clown but check out his chest development. He does not bench at all ever!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...48340889,d.aWc

Bench has screwed my shoulders so all I do now is flys, incline and flat. Also do floor presses with elbows at 45° out from bod. Check it out, maybe some help for you.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Squats and deads.
    Just to let you know I have had multipls kness surgeries on both knees and I know that I will never a gr8 squatter or prolly dlifter.
    But...on DL I have found that if I modify the height of the weight by 3" my knees dont hurt at all afterwards. So thats what I do. I will not compete so I dont think it really matters too much.

Back squat, I think I lean too far forward but if I dont lean I feel like Im gonna fall over. I do use the low bar wide stance and I know that I keep my back very slightly concave. I have taught myself to break at the hips first.
    But it still feels like Im doing a good morning while squatting down to just below parallel....

Front Squat, same thing, leaning forward but not nearly as bad as in back squat.
    But I see pics of guy holding their arms out str8 in front of them with some pretty dam big weights and the bar not moving...def not me.
    Ft squats does not hurt my knees btw, back squats def does afterwards.
    On Ft squats my back remains slightly concave.
    Any help appreciated.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Zed, have you tried working on your hip mobility? Leaning forward to compensate is usually an idicator that you're immobile in your hips. I'd also work on knee and ankle mobility to.

Dead lift! My 1RM for dead lift is 245. My bench is 185 and my squat is 275. My form was horrible and been workin on it but still struggling. I tend to use my back more than my legs and recently (as in yesterday) switched to the Sumo stance and that felt better so hopefully with a lot of training I can get my dead lift were it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by iwrkout View Post
    Dead lift! My 1RM for dead lift is 245. My bench is 185 and my squat is 275. My form was horrible and been workin on it but still struggling. I tend to use my back more than my legs and recently (as in yesterday) switched to the Sumo stance and that felt better so hopefully with a lot of training I can get my dead lift were it needs to be.
    Interesting that you are trying sumo since it's less back than conventional. You use MUCH more leg when pulling sumo. If you are flexibile and have wide hips sumo you'll be much more suited for sumo. I don't have wide hips and from all my years of Olympic weightlifting I'm much more suited to pull conventional.

If you having issues with leg drive when you pull conventional, try pulling off a 45lbs plate to create a deficit. This will force you to drop your hips and use more leg drive to itiate the lift.

Remember when you pull conventional.... shoulders behind the bar, hips down, and shoot your hips to finish the lift.

Squat... I'm not by any means huge but my lifts are all 300+. Squats are dreadful...horrible balance and very tight hips. I suffer because I'm horribly inflexible

Quote Originally Posted by Orange24 View Post
    Squat... I'm not by any means huge but my lifts are all 300+. Squats are dreadful...horrible balance and very tight hips. I suffer because I'm horribly inflexible
    Orange, if mobility is your issue and it's a common issue amoung lifters I suggest you go to mobilitywod and look up hip mobility. You can even write that in the search box in youtube and watch some videos from Kelly Starrett. He has worked with a ton of athletes ranging from pro athletes, to powerlifters, to cross fitters.

It also may not just be your hips. It could be your ankles to. So check that out and I'm sure it'll help.