Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ??? On Your Worst Lift.....

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

Re: ??? On Your Worst Lift.....

My ass off the couch on some days ...some days need extra motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleAddiction View Post
    My ass off the couch on some days ...some days need extra motivation!
    Im right there with ya on that one! I get up so early to go to work.... so when Its time to hit the gym im already wore out and tired

Hey bro bench press is not necessarily the best or only way to train chest. This guy is kind of a clown but check out his chest development. He does not bench at all ever!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...48340889,d.aWc

Bench has screwed my shoulders so all I do now is flys, incline and flat. Also do floor presses with elbows at 45° out from bod. Check it out, maybe some help for you.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Squats and deads.
    Just to let you know I have had multipls kness surgeries on both knees and I know that I will never a gr8 squatter or prolly dlifter.
    But...on DL I have found that if I modify the height of the weight by 3" my knees dont hurt at all afterwards. So thats what I do. I will not compete so I dont think it really matters too much.

Back squat, I think I lean too far forward but if I dont lean I feel like Im gonna fall over. I do use the low bar wide stance and I know that I keep my back very slightly concave. I have taught myself to break at the hips first.
    But it still feels like Im doing a good morning while squatting down to just below parallel....

Front Squat, same thing, leaning forward but not nearly as bad as in back squat.
    But I see pics of guy holding their arms out str8 in front of them with some pretty dam big weights and the bar not moving...def not me.
    Ft squats does not hurt my knees btw, back squats def does afterwards.
    On Ft squats my back remains slightly concave.
    Any help appreciated.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Zed, have you tried working on your hip mobility? Leaning forward to compensate is usually an idicator that you're immobile in your hips. I'd also work on knee and ankle mobility to.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
    I thought deads and squats would be my worst lifts going into this meet this weekend, but they have come up tremendously. I feel like what Sister said, doing 2 and 4" deficit deadlifts, along with working the hips and glutes have really helped. For hips I have used Dimel Deads at 4x15 every other week, sub in rope pull-through's on the opposite weeks. Then for Glutes I do G/H kickback every week at 4x20. That's high volume for prep, but it has worked. If I had a GH raise I would have used it over the kickback machine.
    Here's a trick to get more glute involvement in your conventional deadlifts.... duck your feet out just a lil bit. That will open the hips and make it easier to activate the gluts.

Something you should also try OldGoat to strengthen your hips.... glute bridges from the floor and you can also do them off a bench. Dimels aren't bad but I feel I got more from glute bridges.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuns View Post
    Starting my journey I thought my dead would have been my worst but I has been my squat that hasn't come up the way I would have liked! but I am new to PL and I'm working with some good guys including old goat and with their help and support I think my squad will improve and potentially become my best lift! I'm currently benching 365 squat 465 and dead at 550!
    There's a lot you can do to increase your squat. Like I've been telling everyone.... don't forget to work on your hip mobility.

This is exactly how I DL except that I start from the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBREGM7pE0

Unfortunatly this is pretty much how (I think or at least I feel like I look) doing squats too.
    Henry Ford

Deads.......I'm a short squaty guy with short arms (think T-Rex ) anyway I love them I just can't pull......tried sumos also.....still just sorry

Quote Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
    This is exactly how I DL except that I start from the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBREGM7pE0

Unfortunatly this is pretty much how (I think or at least I feel like I look) doing squats too.
    You need to work on your hip mobility. When you're pulling conventional you want your shoulders behind the bar and to accomplish that you have ot drop your hips.

Another thing that is often overlooked when pulling conventional is how to properly finish a pull. You don't pull back extending your lower back. You shoot your hips forward. I see many people doing this incorrectly and they miss the top of the lift when in fact that shouldn't happen if they have strong hips.