Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raw Bench Pressing - 7 Things You Need To Know

Re: Raw Bench Pressing - 7 Things You Need To Know

Quote Originally Posted by Elbutcho View Post
    Every time I flat bench I get hurt, pec, elbow, shoulder............I can incline also as much as I flat bench but it just feels like a more natural movement

Back to topic..I've never tried the Board Press...........guess it works for incline too
    In my experience beching with a bodybuilding style is great for getting injured. I suffered from many of the same aches, pains, and problems when I used to bench with a flat back, elbows flared out to my sides, and bringing the bar high on my chest. Tha stresses the shit out of my shoulder girdle and leads to an injury. It wasn't till I started benching with powerlifters that I learned how to bench properly for strength and that actually took care of my aches, pains, and injuries quite a bit.

When you bench you want to tuck those elbows in a bit, bring the bar down to your nipples, and keep an arched back by driving your traps into the bench using your legs. This is why they say bench press is a whole body movement and why it's one of the big 3. If you try benching this way I think some of that pain you're experiencing might go away.

Also, give board presses a chance. I suggest most people stick to a 2 board. It still keeps a pretty big ROM (it's still half of a full ROM) and takes the stress off the shoulders.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Great info, thanks Sister

V.I.P.

Thats some great Info Sister Steel. If I had to say what helps most people I see benching get rid of their pains its learning how to bench like a power lifter. You will still get some amazing growth and the pains will slowly go away. I know pressing the weight up as fast as I can has helped me get past several sticking points too.

Quote Originally Posted by red crayon View Post
    Thats some great Info Sister Steel. If I had to say what helps most people I see benching get rid of their pains its learning how to bench like a power lifter. You will still get some amazing growth and the pains will slowly go away. I know pressing the weight up as fast as I can has helped me get past several sticking points too.
    Of course. Most people bench like bodybuilders which puts a great deal of strain on the shoulders from the bar being lowered to high on the chest and also flaring out the elbows in the beginning which also puts a great deal of pressure on the elbows to.

Lower the bar to the nipples, tuck the elbows and flare as you press, and use an arch. You can't tell me powerlifters have small chests. You can have quite the developed chest from benching powerlifting style. You'll also have a lot less pain.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.