Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5x5?

V.I.P.

5x5?

Here in a week or two my nephew will be working out with me. He is 14 this year and going into football and powerlifting next year. He wants to loose weight and put on size and strength too. I told him that's going to be difficult. But here is what I'm thinking. 5x5 + bb finish work ( going to use some of westside principles) then after work we will be doing insanity. I'm going to start him at 3000 cals shoot for 200g protein carbs and fat not sure yet. He is about 5' and 160lbs. And suggestions or changes etc is very welcome. I only have this summer to work with him. So roughly 12 weeks.

Re: 5x5?

has he been working out at all? Going right into a 5x5 can be kind of strenuous right out the gate.
    When I die I want to be called a friend or family member by everyone I came into contact with!!!

V.I.P.

We did last summer, then football, then wrestling, and he has been working out in school.

Well 5x5 will put some serious size on him for sure. What is the purpose behind the insanity at the end of the workouts? Those session are crazy fat burners and even worse on muscle atrophy. If he is trying to put on size I would just smash 5x5 routine and have him doing cardio no more than 3xweek to minimize muscle atrophy and maximize growth IMO.
    When I die I want to be called a friend or family member by everyone I came into contact with!!!

For someone who is new to lifting, meaning they haven't followed a regimented program he will be able to still make gains as he drops some weight.

When you say WSBB you're referring to a DE Day and a ME Day. He's not ready for that. WSBB isn't a beginner program. 5x5 is a great program for him to build his base with.

Instead of insanity whatever... I'd have him push/pull a prowler. It's MUCH better for him developmentally.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

V.I.P.

This is why I ask for opinions I wasn't thinking about it being to much. The biggest problem is he wants to have abs and be bigger but he is about 30lbs over weight. I have never had that much belly fat so it's hard for me to know what to do here. And I'm on cal deficit right now and can't even think about anything but food, I'm shaking right now.

V.I.P.

I tried to tell him lets make you bigger now and worry about fat loss later

I think that Chris and Sis have given you a good start here bro. Good to see that you ask for opines, its the best way to gain from the knowledge base on here which is awesome.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Layddually2 View Post
    I tried to tell him lets make you bigger now and worry about fat loss later
    Trust me once training camp starts up for football he is going to drop mad weight. LOL.

V.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisotpherm View Post
    Trust me once training camp starts up for football he is going to drop mad weight. LOL.
    Haha that's right I forgot about 2 a days. And it will be 110 here lol.