Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Do you train by yourself or with others?

Re: Do you train by yourself or with others?

By myself, I don't like having to wait on another person or the distraction. I also lift at a time when the gym is empty so i'm also sorta forced to lift alone. Wouldn't have it any other way... Unless Arnold and the boys from the 60's were in there with me!

Whiskey
    You'll have that.

Quote Originally Posted by smoovy View Post
    Man I hate that I know this, but....

My wife loves the Kardashians.
    And just to clarify, I HATE the Kardashians, I refuse to even watch it with my wife. She was telling me about that episode, that's how I know..
    BS you love 'em!
    Who doesn't like a set of T & A. Just mute the bitches.

So to answer the question -----------
    I workout alone. Most of the dudes around my area have little training experience or I find them to be overbearing and the "Master of the Gym".... Zzzzz.... Typical.
    + all I really need is a spot here and there considering my goals.
    Last edited by BigBones; 09-05-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Well I agree with you for myself and I also think like this as you have people mostly prefer train by otherself according to my experience .. And it's a wonderful idea.. Because you really learn something special from the others..

V.I.P.

n the past few years I train alone. I think I have stated that before. Most of the people I see training together use the same work out, same exercises, same sets and same reps. I dont see how an exercise program like that can work for 25 or 30 people but they still use it and then claim that they know everything. Please give me a break. The program I use was made by me, I do it alone and I get better results than they do, even when they are on cycle. Thats sad really. They all seem to have one thing in common, no legs. When I ask I get the same answer from the ones who answer, "You can build great legs with out Squats" I have to call BS on that one. I guess thats why they think Im an A**hole. Oh well, the results speak for themselves. If you cant tell I ran into a group of them last night. lol, what a joke. More than half of their work out is done on machines and I always get strange looks from them when I do Flyes, slow reps, hold the max contracted position of a lift for a few seconds, or start doing rest pause sets, etc. The worst part is that they get in the way while they are texting or what ever it is they are doing on their phone. I guess thats enough for now but I could go on and on.

Red makes a good point. A lot of people who train with training partners all use the same cookie cutter program they found online or read in a magizine. My 2 training partners and I each have different programs because we all different weakenesses as well as different techniques for the big 3. I squat with a narrow, high bar stance and one of my partners is a low bar, wide stance squatter so we have different areas we need to work on to make progress. We still all train together but we're not doing the same thing because there is no 1 program that works for everyone. It'll work in the beginning but as you progress you begin to see what you need to do in order to keep making progress and keep increasing your total.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

i always train alone...

depends on my mood. i ALWAYS have my spotter there, regardless. but some days we roll off do different things, and somedays we are side by side. some days i train other people, if they need help or are starting out. or if my girls there she needs spotting on squats. i take sundays and saturdays alone tho. thats my zen time.

Quote Originally Posted by bionic redneck View Post
    i always train alone...
    Yep, I've had a guy spot me once...because the day before I blacked out and dropped 225 on my face while incline benching for 12x reps. Yes, I was an idiot and forgot to breath, you live and you learn.

V.I.P.

When you train alone there are some things you need to remember. Dont try for a personal record unless you are in a rack (Power rack) Also practice failure before you get there. I know that sounds dumb but lets say you got the Rack Set up and you are benching, what do you do when failure happens? Are the bars in the right position? Both of those things are easy to correct when the bar is empty! There are several techniques that you can use to induce growth when you are training alone, Rest Pause, Drop Sets these are my two favorites. Dont be afraid to ask someone else in the gym for a spot, explain what kind of a spot that you want. I like to get help when the bar didnt reach max contraction and has started to go negative, not before. I dont need help lifting the weight from the beginning! If I did need that kind of help I am attempting a weight thats to heavy. Im sure there are more things that the others who train alone can tell you. These are just a few things that I thought of.

because of my sched ... I work out alone I have says I work until 8 PM and other days I have off..
    So Yeah I workout alone..
    but there is a bunch of great guys at my gym and I can always find a spot
    it is kind of strange how it works ..
    I talk to guys depending on time ... and end up with a lot of .."where you been" if I travel
    last week I was gone 2 days 3 nights .. but as a result was not there for the only days I am there late after noon.. I got...where have been ...I haven't seen you in 2 weeks tonight

and technically he was right
    and that guy works out .. I have seen that guy go over 2 hours just lifting...