Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Do you train by yourself or with others?

Re: Do you train by yourself or with others?

Sounds like a unusually good gym bro. Nice to be missed when not there.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Solo, once in a blue moon with a buddy but I prefer solo.

I'd like a partner but, any friends around here are not into sling plates or their "injuries" keep them from doing squats.

Otherwise.. just me and the bar.

Good point made about having different routines. I usually try to listen to my body, and it's never led me wrong. If I feel like I had a productive workout, I'll remember what worked and what didn't. It has literally taken me over 25 years to find a workout that's tailor-made for me; and it's still an ongoing learning process! I still try new stuff to see how it'll improve my routine; rowing with a slightly different angle, squatting with a different width stance, higher reps with slightly less weight, or substituting an old exercise with a new one. At the risk of sounding like a selfish prick, I would be doing myself a dis-service by not working out alone.

That being said, I always say "Hi" when crossing paths with someone at the gym and am more than happy to provide a spot for anyone who asks for it...

Quote Originally Posted by red crayon View Post
    Dont be afraid to ask someone else in the gym for a spot, explain what kind of a spot that you want.
    That's a very good point. Spotting someone isn't as easy as some would think. Take bench for instance. You need to know if they want you to bring the bar out to get it into position or are they going to bring it out. When should you take the bar. Do they want to finish the rep/reps and than pause and after rack it or rack it right away.

You should always discuss how you want the lift off/ spot to take place to avoid issues.

I personally will only let my 2 training partners spot me when it comes to squatting or pressing.
    DISCLAIMER: "SisterSteel" is a fictitious character with the sole purpose to entertain. Any information/advice given out, stated, or implied is for entertainment only and should not be considered the advocation of any illegal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterSteel View Post
    That's a very good point. Spotting someone isn't as easy as some would think. Take bench for instance. You need to know if they want you to bring the bar out to get it into position or are they going to bring it out. When should you take the bar. Do they want to finish the rep/reps and than pause and after rack it or rack it right away.

You should always discuss how you want the lift off/ spot to take place to avoid issues.

I personally will only let my 2 training partners spot me when it comes to squatting or pressing.
    Very valid points as always Hun. It's hard to get a good spotter. On bench I don't like guys who let me struggle if I start slowing down I personally like help to keep it going and can usually get a few more reps. If I struggle I'm done.
    My buddies hate I I even touch the bar. As one said "I wanna feel like I'm inches from death before u touch that bar...and only if I tell u too!"

I always tell ppl how I want them to spot me and still most suck lol.
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!