Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Band work

Re: Band work

Quote Originally Posted by mj_0360 View Post
    I have a buddy at the gym that is strong as he'll but he still uses bands for his bench. He is using a black band wrapped twice around his shoulders and arms like a slingshot and he was pushing out 315 on the flat bench like it was nothing. i guess you can use these bands on my be body or on the bar? This whole band this is new to me so any help is appreciated!
    Now that I can post pics I'll take detailed pics of the bands. How to use them on the bench etc
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

V.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
    that black band if it is like 4"wide is 150-200 Lbs! At least mine is. (tension)
    so when he wraps that band around his shoulders and arms or adds 160-200lbs of strength?

so when he wraps that band around his shoulders and arms or adds 160-200lbs of strength?
    Depends on how he is using them I suppose. They way I use them it adds resistance mainly on the negative portion of the move. It forced I to work the negative and I feel this is where it really shines. When u work with the bands for a few weeks then remove them ....u get that holy crap this feels light sensation! If u bench 225 with bands suddenly 275 without bands isn't so bad!

I'm sure the 1-4 has actual LB ratings but I never cared so much about the details. I jus use 1 or 2 for a while on 185 and 225 then I'll use the stage 3 for a while on 185 and keep progressing like that.

IDK bro he could be wrapping it such that it add resistance instead of rebound.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

V.I.P.

I have a lot to learn.

I have a lot to learn.
    Not really. Just seems like a lot cause it's confusing to u right now. I don't know what that idiot is doing and wouldn't worry about it either. I'll make it simple tonight.

Ok Mj or anyone interested in using bands for benching.
    Here is what the bands look like. They range resistance level 1-4. Not sure what that equates to in LB but whatever. These are braided but golds has similar handles with just 1 non braided tube.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407384781.950156.jpg

Here is how to attach to the bar
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407384803.734880.jpg

And finally how to run it under the bench to create downward resistance.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407384837.459905.jpg

I used level 1 for 95 and 135 then used stage 2 for 185. Back down to stage 1 for 225 for 10 reps. Did no bands with 315

V.I.P.

ok I see. I think that Ill give them a try this week to see how it effects my overall strength. Thanks for the pics to clear things up!!

ok I see. I think that Ill give them a try this week to see how it effects my overall strength. Thanks for the pics to clear things up!!
    The gains it gave me are almost unbelievable bro. When I started I just wanted to be able to work out with 225. 315 seemed like a crazy delusional dream lol.

I follow my buddies protocol. I call it the hybrid hypertrophy/strength program.

Start off high reps 15-20 using bands on your lighter working sets. Then the last set I don't use bands.

For example this is roughly my usual routine
    95 lbs 20-25 reps no bands just warming up
    135 x 15-20 reps bands
    185 x 15 reps bands
    225x 10 bands
    315 no bands.....for all I'm worth to failure. 4-6 reps.

I do this 2-3 weeks or until
    My last set I've progress. For instance if I start 315 for 3-4 reps then I progress to 6 or more reps I know it's time to jump to 335 next week.
    I'll usually drop some reps and eliminate the bands when I just up in weight for 1-2 weeks. Then I'll add the bands back in and keep moving from the new 335 max set.

I really like this approach as it gives me the BB look with the high reps and bands but the last 2 working sets positively have made me much stronger!

V.I.P.

why no bands on the final set? It seems like that is when it would be most needed. I have a few strong ass power lifter friends on fb and I see these dudes use all kinds of bands for bench, deads, and squats. Dude squats over 1000lbs with reverse bands, sicks!! Chest day is saturday for me, so Ill give them a try if gold's has them.