Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

What to do?

Here I am almost 50, I have been lifting longer than most have been alive. I get to the gym religiously, but it has become a struggle, almost daily to do so. I fear getting fat and out of shape so I keep going, even though most days I just don't enjoy it like I used too. That is my dilemma. What should I do. I could transition to doing mostly cardio, and getting into hiking and back to my photography and astronomy.

The main problem, is with work, I just run out of time and energy to do everything I want and I don't want to face the fact that I am just plain getting old. I don't feel old, just tired a lot.

Anyway, the easy answer is to just not lift any more, but we all know I won't accept that.
    SEMPER FI, DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR, STRENGTH AND HONOR, SOMETIMES THE FROST MAKES THE BLADE STICK

Re: What to do?

It's in your blood, if you stop you WILL regret it. Take a break...switch things up...try things you never have done before....but don't stop ever!
    6'3" tall, 240 pounds

Ya switch it up. Work on getting really lean. Only lift when you WANT to, that way it doesn't feel like being controlled by a habit. Enjoy

That is true about habit. It feels more like an addiction so to speak. May e I'm over Trai ed even though I only left 4 to 5 days of the week or maybe it's just working so much sucks the life out of me.
    SEMPER FI, DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR, STRENGTH AND HONOR, SOMETIMES THE FROST MAKES THE BLADE STICK

Quote Originally Posted by chesty View Post
    Here I am almost 50, I have been lifting longer than most have been alive. I get to the gym religiously, but it has become a struggle, almost daily to do so. I fear getting fat and out of shape so I keep going, even though most days I just don't enjoy it like I used too. That is my dilemma. What should I do. I could transition to doing mostly cardio, and getting into hiking and back to my photography and astronomy.

The main problem, is with work, I just run out of time and energy to do everything I want and I don't want to face the fact that I am just plain getting old. I don't feel old, just tired a lot.

Anyway, the easy answer is to just not lift any more, but we all know I won't accept that.
    I'm right there with you..........I'm exhausted most of the time......it's frustrating.

I think maybe trying something new maybe the answer, I've always did the power lifting thing, now I'm going more for pump sets 10 - 15 reps and I want to drop some body weight mainly because I'm getting older that and I want to see if I have more energy at a lower weight.

I was even thinking of trying to train in a cross fit type of style for a few months at a time just to change things up.

I agree with the fellas. Try new things mix it up! Adding a PL benching program into my routines really helped keep me going to hit the gym. It was something new and different. Each week I wanted to progress.
    Try swimming, hiking, bicycle anything new and different to your norm. Maybe try something u have never tried. Martial arts, boxing.
    Diversity with all of life's things keeps it interesting!
    Blah blah blah Latina's ass...blah blah blah!

I have been feeling the same lately. I been putting in 60+ hours a week at work and I'm exhausted most the time.I missed a few extra day from the gym and my motivation is down when I am lifting.

Just find something that is enjoyable that you look forward to. Hicking sounds great and you definitely make it challenging.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chesty View Post

Have you had bloodwork done? Idk if u use gear, but it sounds like it COULD be low-T... No Doc & you only mentioned chronic tiredness, idk about our moods libido etc. If u do run gear, idk cause that's my cure all! (Lol-j.k)...

~Ronin.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Re: What to do?

Chill out, chesty. We're on the same ship.
    I just made 52 last week. I've been lifting since 1985, probably before most of the members here lifted their baby bottles on their own...lol Since then, I've had 4 knee surgeries, a rotator cuff repair, a couple of bicep sprangs and rotator cuff tears (without surgeries). Despite that, I continued hitting the gym to induce quicker healings. I've even competed in the American Powerlifting Federation and won a state championship. Now, I'm fighting another knee injury, along with a hamstring sprang.I have found myself getting lazy and wanting to train but not wanting to leave the house. HA! Now all of my friends and family are telling me to give up lifting and evening training at Gold's Gym. But what can I say? As Rob Steward put it, IT'S IN MY HEART AND IT'S IN MY SOUL. I don't want to give up just yet. I will only tuck it aside until I heal well enough to compete (deadlifting). I'm happy to say that when I am training at Gold's, I still have my strength.
    Last edited by TheChosen1; 06-04-2014 at 12:52 PM.