Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bodyweight Exercises + Weightlifting

Bodyweight Exercises + Weightlifting

I have a pain-in-the-ass commute and have to do my workouts at 5 a.m. That means I rise at 4 a.m. I've been looking into bodyweight exercises a great deal. There's some fantastic stuff out there and I'm sooorrre from what I've already tried. So I was thinking that I would alternate one week at the gym, one week at home with some bodyweight stuff. Wash, rinse, repeat. I'm thinking it will improve strength and maybe even add to size? Anyone do bodyweight stuff?

PJ1127

Re: Bodyweight Exercises + Weightlifting

Yes, I always do some form of body weight exercises. If your really not trying to be a bodybuilder then I see nothing wrong with the set up you have. Right now I'm doing 4 days in the gym with 3 days BW.

You will not add the size you would with weights but you can stay cut with BW.

I think that adding some body weight exercises is a great way to vary your workouts and shock your muscles into growing. There is something to be said for some of the results that people get from P90x and crossfit...

I'm a huge proponent of gymnastic work for upperbody strength.

Rings and parallettes, which are both cheap and easy to make, are an insanely good way to get a upperbody and core workout.

V.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by fast200 View Post
    I'm a huge proponent of gymnastic work for upperbody strength.

Rings and parallettes, which are both cheap and easy to make, are an insanely good way to get a upperbody and core workout.
    Agreed! I do these and man this is def one of the hardest damn exercises ever short of maybe dragon flags.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342025442.744184.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342025466.576071.jpg

I got my rings from rogue fitness.

I used to do a little gymnastics way back. I like that kind of body on a girl. It's funny you mentiioned P90x, nerdalert. I was watching infomercial for Insanity Workout and it looks good. I wonder if those folks really look like that from just that workout? Some of them look amazing. It feels right to mix it up with bodyweight stuff, so I'm gonna do it. Heck, I haven't even mastered pull-ups yet. Got the bar at home and am working on it.

PJ1127

Quote Originally Posted by Rayca View Post
    I used to do a little gymnastics way back. I like that kind of body on a girl. It's funny you mentiioned P90x, nerdalert. I was watching infomercial for Insanity Workout and it looks good. I wonder if those folks really look like that from just that workout? Some of them look amazing. It feels right to mix it up with bodyweight stuff, so I'm gonna do it. Heck, I haven't even mastered pull-ups yet. Got the bar at home and am working on it.
    All that "six pack" look is from diet. P90X is a solid workout tho which you can lose some fat if diet is still not in check.

My wife and I did the p90x workout a few years ago and it was kind of cool to do some different stuff. I know a few people that have done insanity and they all said that it is pretty intense. It all comes down to diet in the end though, you'll never get the results you want if you aren't strict with the diet...

V.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayca View Post
    I have a pain-in-the-ass commute and have to do my workouts at 5 a.m. That means I rise at 4 a.m. I've been looking into bodyweight exercises a great deal. There's some fantastic stuff out there and I'm sooorrre from what I've already tried. So I was thinking that I would alternate one week at the gym, one week at home with some bodyweight stuff. Wash, rinse, repeat. I'm thinking it will improve strength and maybe even add to size? Anyone do bodyweight stuff?
    Hi Rayca,

I'm a abig fan of bodyweight excercises, I actually incorporate them into my daily training routine... And when I'm super busy and have to skip a workout I fit in at least 15 min of body weight excercises... I looooove to do pull-ups I do 5 sets of 12 at least 5 times a week, I also do lot's of planks & core & push ups using my sstability ball, the choices are endless & I can assure u, you will like the results

Insanity is no joke.
    When I die I want to be called a friend or family member by everyone I came into contact with!!!