Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: body types n movement mechanics

Re: body types n movement mechanics

My legs get stronger n harder, more dense especially my hamstrings, geez they feel like bone not muscle, but quad separation or a beautiful bulging teardrop? Never.
    I do the power lifts cause their the major compound movements n most effective for overall aesthetics n strength, which is fun n addicting. But I'll give an example: take barbell benchpresses, a power lifter will always look for full range of motion (FRM) because he has (or she) competition standards by which his lifts r judged n could cause a loss or DQ, now a bodybuilder will mix it up with effective range of motion (ERM) , which for me is like 1/2" off the chest to about 70% up towards lockout which would b a hundred%, this not only maintains tension on n blasts the he'll out of ur pecs, but allows to know I have full command of the weight I'm using, it builds strength quuck, as I go up in weight I have to go full range cause the top is a breather of sorts. A power lifter wouldn't waste time with these type of reps n sets cause his lockout strength maybe neglected n cause him a meet. I learned this watching sum guys with the biggest numbers n pecs to go with it. Um sure it's common knowledge that going from say 40% off the chest to lockout is no comparison to the (erm) I've been discussing, a couple times guys in the gym that I c doin that n claiming huge #'s cause said what I do is same. It's extremely satisfying to c them try it, b cuz when u been lying to ur self so long u start believing it lol. So later MC, N GOOD NIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hoss View Post
    Going for size; and they're growing subtly week by week. I try to go as heavy as the old joints will allow.
    So it's heavy & high reps for legs with the leg press as the major lift for size?
    Last edited by Encino_Mang; 11-22-2014 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbutcho View Post
    So it's heavy & high reps for legs with the leg press as the major lift for size?
    Yeah...leg press, hack squats, squats. For me it's leg press & the Precor/Hammer Strength Hack Squat. I keep my reps in between 12-18. Usually my personal "rule of thumb" is if I reach around 16 reps without really struggling, then I will increase the weight the next following week. Any large muscle group (quads, back) need heavy weight / moderate to high reps to grow. I incorporate various techniques in my training, (drop-sets, forced reps, negative reps, high-reps, low-reps, reps for the "pump & burn", etc., etc.) to keep myself fresh and not to get burned-out, and to create that muscle confusion. I judge how well I trained by how sore (muscle soreness) I am the next day. If I can hardly walk, or hardly move my arms up over my head... then I did something right! You just have to find what works for you in your training and of course the overall goal of growth & size.
    Last edited by Big Hoss; 11-22-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hoss View Post
    Yeah...leg press, hack squats, squats. For me it's leg press & the Precor/Hammer Strength Hack Squat. I keep my reps in between 12-18. Usually my personal "rule of thumb" is if I reach around 16 reps without really struggling, then I will increase the weight the next following week. Any large muscle group (quads, back) need heavy weight / moderate to high reps to grow. I incorporate various techniques in my training, (drop-sets, forced reps, negative reps, high-reps, low-reps, reps for the "pump & burn", etc., etc.) to keep myself fresh and not to get burned-out, and to create that muscle confusion. I judge how well I trained by how sore (muscle soreness) I am the next day. If I can hardly walk, or hardly move my arms up over my head... then I did something right! You just have to find what works for you in your training and of course the overall goal of growth & size.
    I'm typ a squat guy (5-8) reps I'm strong but not much growth. I'll try more leg press and hacks at higher reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbutcho View Post
    I'm typ a squat guy (5-8) reps I'm strong but not much growth. I'll try more leg press and hacks at higher reps.
    Yeah, try that for about 3-4 weeks and see how it goes. You can still do squats, just alternate them with the hack squats. Each exercise is different... it hits the muscle head differently; bio-mechanics; muscle confusion.
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L

... and best of luck to ya EB with your training.