Thread: Melatonin Helps Regulate Blood Pressure

Melatonin Helps Regulate Blood Pressure

As our bodies internal clocks determine that it is time for sleep, triggered largely by the change from daylight to darkness at night, we produce the hormone like substance melatonin that causes sleepiness. As melatonin levels rise in the blood, blood pressure levels fall during nightly sleep. Italian researchers speculate that melatonin may decrease noradrenaline (norepinephrine) levels, increase nitric oxide production, and lessen resistance to blood flow within large arteries. All those effects would be expected to lower blood pressure.
    So the doctors at a clinic in Modena decided to evaluate the effect of melatonin on the daily blood pressure variance in nine women with normal blood pressure and another nine whose hypertension was being treated with ACE inhibitor drugs. Their ages ranged from forty-seven to sixty-three. For three weeks, the women were randomly assigned to melatonin or a placebo. During the next three weeks, the groups "crossed over" to get melatonin if they had been taking placebo and vice versa.

Melatonin treatment decreased both systolic and diastolic nightly blood pressure by 3.77 and 3.63 points overage. Some women had as much as a 10-point blood pressure decline during the night's sleep. Women who normally had the least reduction in nocturnal blood pressure showed the greatest improvement.
    There was no change in blood pressure during the day, which was to be expected since melatonin levels disappear or diminish after awakening. But the difference between nocturnal and diurnal blood pressure intensified, and that difference has been linked with heart disease. The greater the difference between blood pressure during the day and during the night, the better.

Similar research has been conducted at Harvard University, where investigators gave melatonin to sixteen men over a three week period. A single dose of 2.5 mg did no good, but taken nightly over the course of the three weeks, it reduced systolic and diastolic blood pressure on average by 6 and 4 points respectively. The difference between blood pressure during the day and during the night was increased by 15 percent systolic and 25 percent diastolic. Subjects enjoyed better sleep as well, although the improvement in sleep was not related to the blood pressure improvement.
    "Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

Re: Melatonin Helps Regulate Blood Pressure

Excellent bedtime supplement!!!

I use it every night

Great read! My family also uses this every night.
    BTW, another nice avatar you have there, Baby.
    "Look forward-never look back and enjoy every sandwich -Go get em-OD ALPHA ZILLA"

Quote Originally Posted by ineedtogrow View Post
    Great read! My family also uses this every night.
    BTW, another nice avatar you have there, Baby.
    thanks INTG! Looks just like me,,LMAO
    "Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."

Melatonin is great ., it has been a life saver at times.. My kids pediatrician actually prescribed it at 3mg nightly for my 6 year old daughter .. Without it she will stay up all night .. It does cause her to sleepwalk and have full interaction with my wife and I while incoherent but it's kinda funny