Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on being a Christian Bodybuilder...is the lifestyle sinful?

Re: Thoughts on being a Christian Bodybuilder...is the lifestyle sinful?

Quote Originally Posted by johnsomebody View Post
    Wow, this is really a great heartfelt and honest post, and you express yourself very well. I'm really glad I came across it.

Plus I understand your uncertainty about this issue, since I've dealt with the similar issues for decades as a Christian. But it's not been about gear (which I've only used a few times) but about pretty much EVERYTHING. And I realize that that's just part of following Christ –not having the perfect answer for "is this right or is this wrong" for ALL the things that one encounters in life. But believing in Christ means having him as "Lord", which means that he has the final say, and that's between him and me personally. He's the one I want to listen to as to if something is good or bad, right or wrong, go this way or that way, and everyone else can take a flying leap. Not that I don't appreciate advice at times, but what is "sin" or not is decided by him, not someone else.

Here's what helps me with an issue like gear, where Jesus spells it out, it seems to me, very clearly: Jesus' own words from Mark ch7...

"Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles them.”
    He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them.
    For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.
    All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

And "defile" means "to separate from God by making a person 'unclean'".

So think about it: Jesus, it seems to me, is making it very clear that gear or whatever going into a person cannot possibly cut that person off from God. It's what's in one's heart, not whatever chemicals may or may not be in one's body, that threaten one's standing with God.

The only "threat" I see from the whole bodybuilding "lifestyle" is it can mean obsessing too much about externals while ignoring the envy, hate, greed, arrogance (to name a few from Christ's list) in one's own heart.
    But it's hardly bodybuilders alone who do that.
    Great post. I appreciate your thoughts. I'm just glad to see more and more 'brethren' posting on here. That takes courage in itself!
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hoss View Post
    Great post. I appreciate your thoughts. I'm just glad to see more and more 'brethren' posting on here. That takes courage in itself!

DITTO!
    "Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

Wow, this is really a great heartfelt and honest post, and you express yourself very well. I'm really glad I came across it.

Plus I understand your uncertainty about this issue, since I've dealt with the similar issues for decades as a Christian. But it's not been about gear (which I've only used a few times) but about pretty much EVERYTHING. And I realize that that's just part of following Christ –not having the perfect answer for "is this right or is this wrong" for ALL the things that one encounters in life. But believing in Christ means having him as "Lord", which means that he has the final say, and that's between him and me personally. He's the one I want to listen to as to if something is good or bad, right or wrong, go this way or that way, and everyone else can take a flying leap. Not that I don't appreciate advice at times, but what is "sin" or not is decided by him, not someone else.

Here's what helps me with an issue like gear, where Jesus spells it out, it seems to me, very clearly: Jesus' own words from Mark ch7...

"Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles them.”
    He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them.
    For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.
    All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

And "defile" means "to separate from God by making a person 'unclean'".

So think about it: Jesus, it seems to me, is making it very clear that gear or whatever going into a person cannot possibly cut that person off from God. It's what's in one's heart, not whatever chemicals may or may not be in one's body, that threaten one's standing with God.

The only "threat" I see from the whole bodybuilding "lifestyle" is it can mean obsessing too much about externals while ignoring the envy, hate, greed, arrogance (to name a few from Christ's list) in one's own heart.
    But it's hardly bodybuilders alone who do that.
    Thank you for the insight brother! Excellent!!

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hoss View Post
    Ditto x2!!!

some where out in america...it is starting to rain

dude you injecting yourself with stuff that will shorten your life , getting all greased up and flexing in less than you where for underwear...

that aint going to church

V.I.P.

Thoughts on being a Christian Bodybuilder...is the lifestyle sinful?

I agree w bonis. The above argument is saying go ahead and put whatever drugs u want in your body as long as u have a good heart. IMO if god wanted is to b born big muscle bound guys we would have. God gave is our genetics we are made in his image. However he also gave us choice and free will. We choose to enhance our god given bodies. Addiction is a sin. Whether it be muscle weights beer drugs sex whatever. Can we b forgiven absolutely but don't try and justify sin god ain't no fool. B true to him and yourself repent ask for forgiveness. Pray going around looking for loop holes in the bible doesn't really work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious 13 View Post
    I agree w bonis. The above argument is saying go ahead and put whatever drugs u want in your body as long as u have a good heart. IMO if god wanted is to b born big muscle bound guys we would have. God gave is our genetics we are made in his image. However he also gave us choice and free will. We choose to enhance our god given bodies. Addiction is a sin. Whether it be muscle weights beer drugs sex whatever. Can we b forgiven absolutely but don't try and justify sin god ain't no fool. B true to him and yourself repent ask for forgiveness. Pray going around looking for loop holes in the bible doesn't really work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me comment on this too, since it's an important issue for any Christian, whether using gear or not.

The context in Mark 7 is about eating "unclean" foods like pork, which made the person who ate it unclean and separated from God according to the Law of Moses; it was clearly a sin. Christ rejects that totally and very clearly when he decreed: "Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them."

Is pork bad for you? Maybe it is, and certainly too much of it is, like too much of about anything else for that matter. But that doesn't make eating it a sin to Christ, and if you're a Christian what Christ says is what matters, not anyone else's opinion.

Smoking directly damages the health of anyone who uses it, beginning with the first puff. Is smoking a sin? Of course not; smoking can't separate anyone from the love of God that's in Christ any more than pork or gear can.

This is where "the freedom that is in Christ" which Paul discusses comes in. "Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is helpful. Everything is permissible for me, but I will not allow anything to control me." In my experience, knowing that I don't have to worry that this or that thing like gear or smoking is a "sin" means I can look at that thing objectively: is it helpful for me or others or is it harmful to me or others? Am I choosing it freely or am I addicted to it?

As to whether one should be content with one's self as is, that's a choice one makes for one's self. Personally, I've learned that being sick and starving in a dungeon somewhere and being genuinely thankful to God for, say, a crust of bread, means I'm a happier person than Jay Cutler worrying about whether or not his calves are big enough and never taking a moment to thank God for anything.

Let me comment on this too, since it's an important issue for any Christian, whether using gear or not.

The context in Mark 7 is about eating "unclean" foods like pork, which made the person who ate it unclean and separated from God according to the Law of Moses; it was clearly a sin. Christ rejects that totally and very clearly when he decreed: "Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them."

Is pork bad for you? Maybe it is, and certainly too much of it is, like too much of about anything else for that matter. But that doesn't make eating it a sin to Christ, and if you're a Christian what Christ says is what matters, not anyone else's opinion.

Smoking directly damages the health of anyone who uses it, beginning with the first puff. Is smoking a sin? Of course not; smoking can't separate anyone from the love of God that's in Christ any more than pork or gear can.

This is where "the freedom that is in Christ" which Paul discusses comes in. "Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is helpful. Everything is permissible for me, but I will not allow anything to control me." In my experience, knowing that I don't have to worry that this or that thing like gear or smoking is a "sin" means I can look at that thing objectively: is it helpful for me or others or is it harmful to me or others? Am I choosing it freely or am I addicted to it?

As to whether one should be content with one's self as is, that's a choice one makes for one's self. Personally, I've learned that being sick and starving in a dungeon somewhere and being genuinely thankful to God for, say, a crust of bread, means I'm a happier person than Jay Cutler worrying about whether or not his calves are big enough and never taking a moment to thank God for anything.
    I like this post!

some where out in america...it is starting to rain

Quote Originally Posted by bonis90 View Post
    dude you injecting yourself with stuff that will shorten your life , getting all greased up and flexing in less than you where for underwear...

that aint going to church

wait ,,,, I am not to be taken seriously....
    I actually wondered why we got dressed up for church... after all god see us all naked and still loves us
    that is amazing in some cases..

anyhow ...
    that all being said ... my point it that injecting crap in you does seem to me violating the spirit of the religion

I once had a co worker that was 7th day adventist ...and his particular group believe firmly in a small passage of the bible
    something about grains nuts and berries and as part of his faith believed in being Vegan...
    ( he was 6'2 and about 140 lbs and could pound down a bag of apples in one day along with a boat load of pasta and cake at lunch)
    it was impressive how much he ate, but nothing that would stick to your ribs... but that was his belief system
    I also thought it was strange that he didn't eat fish .... after all it was the miracle of loaves and fishes.. not just loaves
    So if Jesus was going to make a comment of vegan eating I would think it would show up then right?
    I did give him something to think about with that question...
    then I really kind of felt sorry ...after all I was not much of a believer and here I am shaking this guy's faith.
    I am not a hater ... just don't push it on me ...and he wasn't ..I was curious

Hispanics in my area place a sticker on their head lamps with an outline of Jesus,,, I thought would Jesus want that ...and since he was god I came to the conclusion that if you are honestly meaning it in a good light... then he would be ok with it ...

again I am left with ,if you feel that Bodybuilding lifestyle is in line your with beliefs and you are honest about it ..then Jesus would be OK with it

given the extremes of people beliefs ( vegan, those people that whip themselves .the ones that sign up for a cruifixtion, extreme lent people ...those opis dei crazy, diamond dallas page and wrestling for Jesus, just to name a few ) is injecting crap into you and flexing in your underwear really that far out ..

if you honestly believe this is what jesus wants you to do...then I am good with it
    again just don't push it on me

and please don't take me serious ever again

Still stickin' with my answer of "YES". Here's some support scripture...

Ecclesiastes Ch. 2
    Romans Ch. 13
    1 Peter 2: 13-17
    1 Corinthians 6: 19-20
    1 Timothy 4: 8

I can research and find more, but this is what comes to mind right now...
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L