Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on being a Christian Bodybuilder...is the lifestyle sinful?

Re: Thoughts on being a Christian Bodybuilder...is the lifestyle sinful?

I don't think it goes against any Christian beliefs.

[QUOTE=baby1;89507]
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange24 View Post

I thought it was a concert,lol. I know many people enjoy churches of this sort and that is awesome, but I guess I am still old school with that to. I still want to go to the old fashioned traditional church.
    I hear you. This was a few churches that are all connected getting together for a weekend. Some great speakers.

I had plausible deniability before, now I am questioning this myself. I have an addictive personality, used to binge drink throughout the week. If it was not an addiction to the gym it would be an addiction to something unhealthy. Guess I do not need AAS for the gym so that was just me trying to justify it.

First I want to say how much I appreciate and commend each and every one of you to come forward like this... it takes guts & courage to call yourself a "Christian" nowadays and I think we should give all glory, honor, & praise to God for giving us the strength to do so. Second, I think MA & Vic hit the nail on the head pertaining to this topic. I would like to share my thoughts as well because of being a born-again Christian for over 35 years now; this is something I struggle with on a daily basis and I can understand both sides of the fence so to speak.
    You see Big Ronnie Coleman as a guest poser at a local BB show and you know from reliable sources that he is jacked to the hilt. He gets up onstage weighing well over 300 lbs. and hits some poses. He ends by him saying "I give all glory to God and I am a born-again Christian." So... I think to myself... I guess it's ok to use AAS/PED's because the Lord is blessing him and he is a winner. I get home and there it is... that nagging small voice in my head saying "Are you sure!?! Maybe you should read the Bible." And lo & behold, there it is, the whole entire book of Ecclesiastes.... "Everything Is Meaningless... Vanity, Vanity, all is Vanity."
    So, to sum it up and to answer the question.... Anything that takes away the glory or takes the place of God and hinders your fellowship with Him is sinful. That could be AAS/PED's, other drugs, alcohol, smoking, playing a round of Sunday morning golf instead of being in Church, your kids' Sunday softball games, etc, etc., and the list goes on. On not on my soapbox here, I'm guilty of it too and yes I AM A HYPOCRITE!!! Pray that the Good Lord may bless us all with Godly wisdom to make better choices and judgments and find the right answers. Lastly, I'll close with this... RELIGION IS MAN'S ATTEMPT TO REACH GOD... CHRISTIANITY IS GOD'S ATTEMPT TO REACH MAN.
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hoss View Post
    First I want to say how much I appreciate and commend each and every one of you to come forward like this... it takes guts & courage to call yourself a "Christian" nowadays and I think we should give all glory, honor, & praise to God for giving us the strength to do so. Second, I think MA & Vic hit the nail on the head pertaining to this topic. I would like to share my thoughts as well because of being a born-again Christian for over 35 years now; this is something I struggle with on a daily basis and I can understand both sides of the fence so to speak.
    You see Big Ronnie Coleman as a guest poser at a local BB show and you know from reliable sources that he is jacked to the hilt. He gets up onstage weighing well over 300 lbs. and hits some poses. He ends by him saying "I give all glory to God and I am a born-again Christian." So... I think to myself... I guess it's ok to use AAS/PED's because the Lord is blessing him and he is a winner. I get home and there it is... that nagging small voice in my head saying "Are you sure!?! Maybe you should read the Bible." And lo & behold, there it is, the whole entire book of Ecclesiastes.... "Everything Is Meaningless... Vanity, Vanity, all is Vanity."
    So, to sum it up and to answer the question.... Anything that takes away the glory or takes the place of God and hinders your fellowship with Him is sinful. That could be AAS/PED's, other drugs, alcohol, smoking, playing a round of Sunday morning golf instead of being in Church, your kids' Sunday softball games, etc, etc., and the list goes on. On not on my soapbox here, I'm guilty of it too and yes I AM A HYPOCRITE!!! Pray that the Good Lord may bless us all with Godly wisdom to make better choices and judgments and find the right answers. Lastly, I'll close with this... RELIGION IS MAN'S ATTEMPT TO REACH GOD... CHRISTIANITY IS GOD'S ATTEMPT TO REACH MAN.
    Wow! That was powerful. I think you summed this up perfectly. This is a conviction He has placed on my heart heavily for the past couple of years. Surrendering my self-will is something that has always hindered my relationship with Him.
    What should I do about it? If I was completely honest with myself, I don't think I'm ready to give up this lifestyle. I guess I need to pray about it.
    God delivered me from a nasty heroin habit that cost me 4 years of my life behind bars. It was in prison that my faith was restored. I owe everything that I have accomplished to Him.
    I honestly believe that no matter where we are in life God will show himself to us and give us guidance when we seek it. I'm just going to take it day by day and see what comes of it. It's refreshing to hear other men, from all over the country, struggling with the same conviction as me. We are not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy Spirit is definitely speaking to all of us. Caution for sure

Great to hear that brother! That's a powerful testimony in itself. Any addiction, bad-habit, obsession can be overcome thru the power of prayer, but like you said, we must seek God and WANT it! We must look to other fellow Christians for support, but like you, honestly, I don't know if I'm ready to give up that lifestyle. It's glad to see other Christians "coming out of the wood-work" though!
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L

Quote Originally Posted by Orange24 View Post
    Holy Spirit is definitely speaking to all of us. Caution for sure
    Yep... that still small voice of conviction!

I think the Good Lord led us all to the MC for a purpose!

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

Thanks Hoss, and Alec you are not alone. Thank you Baby as you are always there for Nikki and I, and we love you. There is a song on the radio that has a verse "have an angel on my shoulder, and the devil in my head"...as my mind is my worst enemy at times. As far as my faith, well it has been renewed as of last year, so I look at it as if I am a novice in this, although like I said was baptized as a family last year...a very powerful day for our family as a whole, as well as for myself. I am reading the bible daily, as well as taking this day by day. I love this lifestyle of ours and no don't see myself turning away from it anytime soon...if ever. I am a man that has always lived my life doing the next right thing, I do not hurt anyone around me intentionally, I have been in two fist fights in my entire life back in high school, had a bout of drug use back then too, but ended it and picked up weights and this lifestyle to save me from further destruction in my life. I had a career that I was proud of (yes we should not be prideful), I have always worked hard to take care and support my family, always being the best father, husband, friend, brother, mentor, man I can be. I do not drink alcohol, I do not smoke...used to but gave it up, I do not cheat nor ever have, and love my wife and daughter with all my soul and being. I do carry resentments but working on them, I know they harm me more than they do others, there are some close relationships in my life that I can learn to be more forgiving and let go of those resentments...but working on them. When I was laid off my job of 23+ years it hit me hard, and as most will think that this really isn't much to be down and out about (yes I never wanted to talk or complain about MY problems to others because why were MY problems greater than other peoples, so kept them to myself and my close family...but am a man who wears his heart on his sleeve unfortunately). So when I decided it was time to give my life over to God and Christ as I had no control, and to work on my relationship with God and to surrender myself to his path for me, this is pretty much the only thing I see as a question to it all. Is it getting in the way of my relationship to him? I don't feel it is, I talk and pray to him daily, am active in our church, involved in a growth group at church, as well as volunteer in the youth program my daughter is in...I try and help as many in our community as I can, I love everyone, and I even have found myself swearing less lol...so I guess the sin I have through this lifestyle is vanity. I love the sport of bodybuilding, it saved my life from a road of destruction and has what I feel made me a better person, more confident, loving, caring, nurturing, compassionate, disciplined, hard working, and wanting to share and help others in this as well. Although it was a thought in me that has been lingering, as there are some aspects to it that can be looked upon as sin...but we are all sinners through Gods freewill, and Jesus died for our sins so we can be forgiven. Do I admit that I am sinning in the scheme of things sure, do I ask for forgiveness yes, do I pray daily yes, do I owe it all to God for what I have been blessed with in my life you bet, will I continue walking Gods path and help spread his love and word...YES. It is nice to see that I am not the only one here, I have put myself out there in a vulnerable state, but like Baby said earlier, I am at a time in my life that I do not care what people think of me, my judgment day will come, I do not judge others as I do not know what their journey is in their path of God, all I can do is the next right thing...and be the best I can...and love!!!

Thanks for letting me share, felt really good.
    Last edited by MuscleAddiction; 02-12-2015 at 06:47 PM.