Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on being a Christian Bodybuilder...is the lifestyle sinful?

V.I.P.

Re: Thoughts on being a Christian Bodybuilder...is the lifestyle sinful?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange24 View Post
    I see where your coming from but I think the only sinful part of it is not obeying the laws or the land. Altering your appearance isn't necessarily a sin to me, or playing God. Just like putting make up on for a girl isn't necessarily a sin either.

I enjoy this life style, It doesn't take over my life but only makes it more enjoyable and better.

I do need to ponder though if using illegal substances to alter your appearance is something to wrestle with though.
    The laws we are not "obeying" are human laws put in place by people that try to control us. Those laws don't count. Now this is how I see it yes it is a sin unless you are using it to spread the word of god, spending just as much time help the poor, sick or elderly. Now the act of bodybuilding it's self is not a sin unless it consumes you or your time that could be spent helping others. God created us in his image, of course he is jacked. Ok that was probably not funny. I help people and tell people about god every chance I get in hopes that it will balance out all my sins from the past.

The main thing about this lifestyle is it can be selfish, ego driven, and can consume you.

V.I.P.

MA you support your family by being jacked correct? That makes it your job. That isn't a selfish act.

Quote Originally Posted by Layddually2 View Post
    The laws we are not "obeying" are human laws put in place by people that try to control us. Those laws don't count. Now this is how I see it yes it is a sin unless you are using it to spread the word of god, spending just as much time help the poor, sick or elderly. Now the act of bodybuilding it's self is not a sin unless it consumes you or your time that could be spent helping others. God created us in his image, of course he is jacked. Ok that was probably not funny. I help people and tell people about god every chance I get in hopes that it will balance out all my sins from the past.

The main thing about this lifestyle is it can be selfish, ego driven, and can consume you.
    Layd I appreciate your honesty here man. I want to say though that telling people about God every chance you get doesnt "balance" out your sin from the past". The truth is that gods that good bro, you can't ever earn it, you can't ever do enough good things for people or for your family where God says "alright, it's equal now". Humans play the "pay me back" game but that isn't what Jesus did. You owe him nothing, you now just get to have a free relationship with him. And he gives you two very very simple instructions that are super difficult when fully manifested and that's Love your God and love your neighbor, and lest we ever forget, enemies are still neighbors.

In life whenever somebody does something nice for us, takes us to dinner, pays for our meal, shows up with an unexpected gift, etc... It's our innate nature to want to do something nice back for them in return. That's to keep the balance of the relationship healthy. Giving and expecting in return isn't love, trust me it's not, but the nature of having that inclination to do something in return for those that have helped us really is the "payback" so that it's not all on them giving and you receiving. Jesus doesn't give to you and hope you balance out the relationship, he just keeps giving and giving and giving and giving, and eventually God decided we're gonna give something real big, my son. And that my friend, can never be paid. Serve your heart out for your friends and family, serve your neighborhood, your business, your friends and your enemies.

Scripture says the son of man came not to be served, but to serve. So, serving saved the world. If we think that we can earn it back, then it negates the Gift. A gift is a gift, because it's a gift.

V.I.P.

Thank you orange. I just saying in my personal life I feel I owe a lot. Even if I don't I feel I do.

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orange24 View Post
    Layd I appreciate your honesty here man. I want to say though that telling people about God every chance you get doesnt "balance" out your sin from the past". The truth is that gods that good bro, you can't ever earn it, you can't ever do enough good things for people or for your family where God says "alright, it's equal now". Humans play the "pay me back" game but that isn't what Jesus did. You owe him nothing, you now just get to have a free relationship with him. And he gives you two very very simple instructions that are super difficult when fully manifested and that's Love your God and love your neighbor, and lest we ever forget, enemies are still neighbors.

In life whenever somebody does something nice for us, takes us to dinner, pays for our meal, shows up with an unexpected gift, etc... It's our innate nature to want to do something nice back for them in return. That's to keep the balance of the relationship healthy. Giving and expecting in return isn't love, trust me it's not, but the nature of having that inclination to do something in return for those that have helped us really is the "payback" so that it's not all on them giving and you receiving. Jesus doesn't give to you and hope you balance out the relationship, he just keeps giving and giving and giving and giving, and eventually God decided we're gonna give something real big, my son. And that my friend, can never be paid. Serve your heart out for your friends and family, serve your neighborhood, your business, your friends and your enemies.

Scripture says the son of man came not to be served, but to serve. So, serving saved the world. If we think that we can earn it back, then it negates the Gift. A gift is a gift, because it's a gift.
    Beautiful Orange, and is what I have been learning. We are studying Isaiah in bible study right now, it will probably take the rest of the year for us as a men's group to get through it, but the beautiful thing about it is there is a life lesson in every scripture, there is a lesson that I can learn from in that specific weeks readings, and trust me as I am an infant born again here just learning to crawl, but I am. Listening to all of you here has been such a true blessing to me, ALL of you, like our own newfound brotherhood here that we can grow together in, and that is what I am really looking for. Yes Layd, it seems that God has me on a path right now doing what I love, this lifestyle and helping others. Something came to me as a sign this past week, so went for an interview for a position I thought was the PERFECT position for me as it was what I was doing for the last 10 years of my career before I was laid off in 2013 (23 years total), put my best foot forward, had a portfolio with a dozen letters of recommendation, credentials, certifications, very qualified on paper and experience...but did not get offered another interview (2nd) as I did not score high enough. Noe let me give some more background, I know all these managers and peers from working at my last job as the cities worked together with all kinds of training, mutual aid, contract work, and I know all of them very well, even the Superintendent asked me to apply, but I said from the beginning to my wife "if it is Gods will, it will be", so when the disappointing news came in an email, she looked at me and said "remember you said Gods will, well it wasn't" and as it still stung because I regressed back to how I was before and how I handled disappointments, I got over it quicker.

Then this past Sunday as I was walking into church my pastor pulled me aside as I was walking in and had a favor/question for me. Knowing we just built our gym in our garage to train people, and him knowing that I am looking to help others in this lifestyle as well as others in health and fitness, he asked if I would mentor a teenage boy who has lost his way...an athlete in school who has fallen in with the wrong crowd, but is still a part of our church, and then says well there actually may be a couple more that need a mentor and coach and if I would be interested in training him and talking to him, and I said yes of course with a huge smile on my face...this is what I wanted to do, help teens and kids as well adopt a healthy lifestyle in health, fitness, and nutrition. So Nikki had mentioned to me after..."see, if you were to have been offered a job where you would have to work 5 days a week, possible overtime, and basically on-call 24/7, would you have been able to do Gods work, or would he have been able to work through you?"
    These are the signs of confirmations I get from God, and as he is still rebuilding me and testing my faith for him and Jesus Christ, and I am still working on my shortcomings, resentments, bitterness towards some who have hurt me, and working on forgiveness...I love all, but some I just have a hard time forgiving. Working my spiritual steps "Celebrate Recovery", and living day by day in Gods will, drawing strength from him and Christ, prayer, and keeping faith that he has me right where he wants me at this moment.
    I have read every post in this thread and appreciate all input and insight, love to you all, and this is why I wanted to have this forum and topic, to see how many else are walking with us.

"The Lord works in mysterious ways!"
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L

V.I.P.

God is leading you MA!

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleAddiction View Post
    Beautiful Orange, and is what I have been learning. We are studying Isaiah in bible study right now, it will probably take the rest of the year for us as a men's group to get through it, but the beautiful thing about it is there is a life lesson in every scripture, there is a lesson that I can learn from in that specific weeks readings, and trust me as I am an infant born again here just learning to crawl, but I am. Listening to all of you here has been such a true blessing to me, ALL of you, like our own newfound brotherhood here that we can grow together in, and that is what I am really looking for. Yes Layd, it seems that God has me on a path right now doing what I love, this lifestyle and helping others. Something came to me as a sign this past week, so went for an interview for a position I thought was the PERFECT position for me as it was what I was doing for the last 10 years of my career before I was laid off in 2013 (23 years total), put my best foot forward, had a portfolio with a dozen letters of recommendation, credentials, certifications, very qualified on paper and experience...but did not get offered another interview (2nd) as I did not score high enough. Noe let me give some more background, I know all these managers and peers from working at my last job as the cities worked together with all kinds of training, mutual aid, contract work, and I know all of them very well, even the Superintendent asked me to apply, but I said from the beginning to my wife "if it is Gods will, it will be", so when the disappointing news came in an email, she looked at me and said "remember you said Gods will, well it wasn't" and as it still stung because I regressed back to how I was before and how I handled disappointments, I got over it quicker.

Then this past Sunday as I was walking into church my pastor pulled me aside as I was walking in and had a favor/question for me. Knowing we just built our gym in our garage to train people, and him knowing that I am looking to help others in this lifestyle as well as others in health and fitness, he asked if I would mentor a teenage boy who has lost his way...an athlete in school who has fallen in with the wrong crowd, but is still a part of our church, and then says well there actually may be a couple more that need a mentor and coach and if I would be interested in training him and talking to him, and I said yes of course with a huge smile on my face...this is what I wanted to do, help teens and kids as well adopt a healthy lifestyle in health, fitness, and nutrition. So Nikki had mentioned to me after..."see, if you were to have been offered a job where you would have to work 5 days a week, possible overtime, and basically on-call 24/7, would you have been able to do Gods work, or would he have been able to work through you?"
    These are the signs of confirmations I get from God, and as he is still rebuilding me and testing my faith for him and Jesus Christ, and I am still working on my shortcomings, resentments, bitterness towards some who have hurt me, and working on forgiveness...I love all, but some I just have a hard time forgiving. Working my spiritual steps "Celebrate Recovery", and living day by day in Gods will, drawing strength from him and Christ, prayer, and keeping faith that he has me right where he wants me at this moment.
    I have read every post in this thread and appreciate all input and insight, love to you all, and this is why I wanted to have this forum and topic, to see how many else are walking with us.

Super Moderator - Gate Keeper - Foundation Member MuscleAddiction's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Layddually2 View Post
    God is leading you MA!
    yeah he is, and I will follow eager to learn and build our relationship stronger. I have no control, thought I did...then it was stripped from me, humbling experience and very humiliating, but I am good with it, we have what we need, we are not starving, we have shelter, clothes, education for our little girl, a nurturing community and church family, ability to live, laugh, and love, do what we are passionate about, and be together more everyday as a family, that there is wealth and success in my heart.

And of course our family here too!

yeah he is, and I will follow eager to learn and build our relationship stronger. I have no control, thought I did...then it was stripped from me, humbling experience and very humiliating, but I am good with it, we have what we need, we are not starving, we have shelter, clothes, education for our little girl, a nurturing community and church family, ability to live, laugh, and love, do what we are passionate about, and be together more everyday as a family, that there is wealth and success in my heart.
    Great perspective. We lack nothing

And of course our family here too!
    God always looks after his children! He may not always give us what we WANT, but he always meets our NEEDS!
    “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his brother.” (Proverbs 27:17) ...and borrowed from A L